• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SirThopas

Reaction score
New GMTO offering: https://www.carminashoemaker.com/full-brogue-work-boot-shell-cordovan-80277

I’d appreciate observations about the Llubi last.
4314D9C1-43D6-4966-9BC4-7EA7D86EF298.jpeg

Last edited:

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Saw the new GMTO. A little disappointed they limited the cordovan choices. I might've been in trouble if they'd offered the full catalogue of shell options.

SirThopas

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Did you maintain or condition them and mind sharing more pics with better lighting?

I’ve certainly maintained them, but I have worn them many, many times, so I guess they’ve just taken a bit of a beating. The dark marks are a source of some annoyance. Can share more photos, though not at this very moment. Is there anything specific you would like to see?

ducatiti

Reaction score
I’ve certainly maintained them, but I have worn them many, many times, so I guess they’ve just taken a bit of a beating. The dark marks are a source of some annoyance. Can share more photos, though not at this very moment. Is there anything specific you would like to see?

I just wanted to see detailed pictures of the dark marks on the folds and more accurate color/patina. Do you think that this could have been avoided if the said folds were removed by a deer bone or so religiously? Not sure if you did this and would like to avoid them as these are my only natural shell shoes.

Your pair still looks great!

SirThopas

Reaction score
I just wanted to see detailed pictures of the dark marks on the folds and more accurate color/patina. Do you think that this could have been avoided if the said folds were removed by a deer bone or so religiously? Not sure if you did this and would like to avoid them as these are my only natural shell shoes.

Your pair still looks great!

I’ll see what I can do next time I have a spare moment (and when there’s natural light). The colour has darkened since I bought the shoes, as you’d expect. I use a deer bone, but maybe not religiously.

Because they’re so comfortable, the shoes are real workhorses for me, which I often wear for walks of, say, five miles. I can’t now remember specifically what caused the dark marks to appear.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll see what I can do next time I have a spare moment (and when there’s natural light). The colour has darkened since I bought the shoes, as you’d expect. I use a deer bone, but maybe not religiously.

Because they’re so comfortable, the shoes are real workhorses for me, which I often wear for walks of, say, five miles. I can’t now remember specifically what caused the dark marks to appear.
Could be wrong, but that looks like dirt accumulation in the creases to me. Light shell will tend to do that - depends on regularity of brushing, but dirt can combine with oil blooming up. A cleaning agent may help a bit.

jcreadeur

Honest Abe
Reaction score
Saw the new GMTO. A little disappointed they limited the cordovan choices. I might've been in trouble if they'd offered the full catalogue of shell options.
It says

Full-brogue work boot in shell cordovan (incl. shoe tree). Featuring a Commando sole in a refined Goodyear-welt construction and full calf lining. This model can be manufactured in any Cordovan colour. Please specify your preferred colour. With a refined Goodyear welt-construction. This shoe, just like all the other Carmina's, is carefully manufactured by expert craftsmen who follow the exact same techniques that Charles Goodyear created in 1869. For this style we choose Llubi last. Llubí is our last creation. After several months studying and working on it, we have created the perfect last for casual models. The widest of our lasts so far, it provides great fitting.
r.

So you should be good

SirThopas

Reaction score
Could be wrong, but that looks like dirt accumulation in the creases to me. Light shell will tend to do that - depends on regularity of brushing, but dirt can combine with oil blooming up. A cleaning agent may help a bit.

Thanks, you’re right, but whatever approach I take - and I’ve tried many - it won’t shift, so it has become part of the character of the shoes.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Thanks, you’re right, but whatever approach I take - and I’ve tried many - it won’t shift, so it has become part of the character of the shoes.

I wouldn't suggest doing this, personally, since I think this is fairly normal / typical evolution for heavily worn shell and it's not even that dark relative to what you see on vintage shell shoes... but... if you really want to improve it you need to wet sand the rolls using Bick4 or VSC as a lubricant and 3000-5000 grit sandpaper, which is the grit used for auto body work. You can get this from Amazon or most auto parts stores, etc. What you are seeing is just contamination and grit in the upper most layer of the shell. Normal care like deer boning and cleaning isn't going to do much for you.

But again, I think you should embrace it as is. I think they look great!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads