• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elderidge

Reaction score
Recently received my new Carmina chelsea shoes (1118 MADISON 20) and have yet to wear them. They look stunning from the front, but not so much from the back. I am wondering if this is normal.

Iona from customer service stated "In manufacturing, the leather on that side of the boot is put under a lot of pressure and the wrinkles may appear during this step. It is not considered a defect or a faulty item in this case"

View attachment 1731319
View attachment 1731320 View attachment 1731321

I'll be honest and say after 10 wears, both sides will look like that. This is me coming from about 15 pairs of boots, 8 of which are chelseas. I would not worry about that personally

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
A200F797-7C59-4C63-83C4-D083C82F28F8.jpeg

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like a glove (-ish, after all, nothing is perfect). Super pleased with these
Was the Oscar last just not for your feet or did you miss-size?

they’re ******* beautiful btw. I’m impressed by the Llubi last. I’ve always been 50/50 on the last since it seemed to have a very bulbous toe but not at all. I’ve been trying to find the right last for my 80780 mto…I was thinking of the Soller but it might be the llubi now. ?

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently received my new Carmina chelsea shoes (1118 MADISON 20) and have yet to wear them. They look stunning from the front, but not so much from the back. I am wondering if this is normal.

Iona from customer service stated "In manufacturing, the leather on that side of the boot is put under a lot of pressure and the wrinkles may appear during this step. It is not considered a defect or a faulty item in this case"

View attachment 1731319
View attachment 1731320 View attachment 1731321
Personally I wouldn’t mind it, it’s within norm.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was the Oscar last just not for your feet or did you miss-size?

they’re ******* beautiful btw. I’m impressed by the Llubi last. I’ve always been 50/50 on the last since it seemed to have a very bulbous toe but not at all. I’ve been trying to find the right last for my 80780 mto…I was thinking of the Soller but it might be the llubi now. ?
It just wasn't for my feet. I can make them work, but they're just more narrow than I find comfortable. Highly recommend the Llubi, it's nice a spacious (in a good way)

Alisher

Reaction score
Hello. I have a size in Lof&Tung 7UK last S, T. What size would you advise to take in Carmina last Inca or Simpson?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Carmina got any service boot looking style or patterns?

Carmina doesn't really have a service boot pattern. If this is something you really want to explore (and depending upon how close you want to get to what most think of as a service boot pattern) you would probably need to get into a pattern modification to use something like model 80184 or 80179 as a base but apply the heel counter design from 80488.

I asked about doing exactly this a while ago and my recollection is that the upcharge for the pattern change was relatively nominal but you'd have to check with their team.

As far as lasts... probably Oscar is your best bet but it's a function of what fits you best as it is the aesthetics. Just keep in mind that even Carmina's relatively chunky lasts are still more refined than your typical service boot last.

test32323

Reaction score
Carmina doesn't really have a service boot pattern. If this is something you really want to explore (and depending upon how close you want to get to what most think of as a service boot pattern) you would probably need to get into a pattern modification to use something like model 80184 or 80179 as a base but apply the heel counter design from 80488.

I asked about doing exactly this a while ago and my recollection is that the upcharge for the pattern change was relatively nominal but you'd have to check with their team.

As far as lasts... probably Oscar is your best bet but it's a function of what fits you best as it is the aesthetics. Just keep in mind that even Carmina's relatively chunky lasts are still more refined than your typical service boot last.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

What about making the lacing facing wider part, similar to vibergs and Truman's? Feels like most Carmina's models have pretty close lacing almost oxford like.

This one you've posted looks a lot wider, what last is this? Detroit ?

EUtroll

Reaction score
The Llubi last is great for a casual, "trickerish" kind of shoe. Good looking, comfortable, and not too bulbous. My only but is the amount of toe spring. And, if you don't have got a high instep, you might find it too voluminous as it's a generous last.

I've considered the Oscar last in the past for slightly less causal makes but I'm afraid it's too narrow based on most peoples' comments in the thread.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the info.

What about making the lacing facing wider part, similar to vibergs and Truman's? Feels like most Carmina's models have pretty close lacing almost oxford like.

This one you've posted looks a lot wider, what last is this? Detroit ?

That pair that I posted a few posts up is on Oscar. I think the facing consideration is more a function of fit than it is anything else. I don't think Carmina's derby boots are designed for the quarters to be closed.

The reason that I recommended Oscar is that it is a relatively more casual last vs. most of the other options. Detroit is higher volume and higher instep than Oscar and would have closer facings for someone with an average foot. Detroit is more of a soft square last though, which isn't that well suited to a service boot.

rdugz

Reaction score

As someone who has also considered requesting a similar modification, I found that the Balmoral boot (80556 or 80567) also has an external back stay that might look good added to the 80179.

ajay199127

Reaction score
Gents, have anyone ever commissioned an aspen soled boot here ? If yes, please share some pictures

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads