• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

User888

Reaction score
I have the Kirby Carmina boots in hatch (Russian Reindeer) and it's a striking leather. Maybe it's just that I'm used to seeing it in boots that it looks so odd in a shoe though. But, it's definitely more striking than a shell - which seems to take years before you truly see the character. I have bourbon shell boots from Carmina and they're very nice but after 2 years the leather just doesn't have as stiking an appearance as some other leathers (including the hatch grain). Not sure I helped any, but that's my opinion

Interesting, what exactly are the qualities of that leather, i'm leaning towards it as well but I have never seen it in person. Is it oily does it take any shine at all? What are the differences vs normal calf leather (to understand durability). Would appreciate your input as you have that from Carmina.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, what exactly are the qualities of that leather, i'm leaning towards it as well but I have never seen it in person. Is it oily does it take any shine at all? What are the differences vs normal calf leather (to understand durability). Would appreciate your input as you have that from Carmina.
I can't give you a durability comparison vs regular calf vs shell.
It's about appearance. It does take a shine but by it's nature, the pattern is interrupted so it you can't get a mirror-like shine. I don't expect it to patina like a veg-tanned. But, that interrupted pattern is what I think makes it look striking. I will say the reindeer has a distinct odor to it. Don't know if other hatch-grain has the same odor. Not bad or very strong but it's definitely there.

User888

Reaction score
I can't give you a durability comparison vs regular calf vs shell.
It's about appearance. It does take a shine but by it's nature, the pattern is interrupted so it you can't get a mirror-like shine. I don't expect it to patina like a veg-tanned. But, that interrupted pattern is what I think makes it look striking. I will say the reindeer has a distinct odor to it. Don't know if other hatch-grain has the same odor. Not bad or very strong but it's definitely there.
I've been reading about the leather now for a bit. It seems to be infused with quite a fair amount of oils so I'd assume you dont polish it the same way you would with vegano/boxcalf.
Fair on durability but what about creasing?

Many thanks!

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been reading about the leather now for a bit. It seems to be infused with quite a fair amount of oils so I'd assume you dont polish it the same way you would with vegano/boxcalf.
Fair on durability but what about creasing?

Many thanks!
hmmm. the direction I got was to use polish - I'm using tobacco wax. It's not like my cxl leather at all. Really very much like calf - it creases just like calf (and unlike shell). So, other than it's appearance and smell it behaves just like my calf shoes/boots.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blue shell - Greely model - Forest last
20180222_092630.jpg
20180222_092530.jpg

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Has Carmina stopped using Dainite soles, replacing them with their own Dainite look-alikes? I remember they used to use their own branded Dainite soles several years ago, which they later replaced with genuine Dainite. Seems like they've changed back again?

VaNeT

Reaction score
Has Carmina stopped using Dainite soles, replacing them with their own Dainite look-alikes? I remember they used to use their own branded Dainite soles several years ago, which they later replaced with genuine Dainite. Seems like they've changed back again?
I believe it’s brexit caused as Tom from Sons of Henrey mentioned in his latest post.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I “may” have been naughty last month and bought these prior to mto weekend….
Football shell and cxl shafted Calways..
View attachment 1690424
wow, those came out really well. Mixing Shell and Cxl seems risky to me but it works. It's pretty amazing to me that a grain base with a plain shaft looks good, and a plain shaft with a grain shaft also looks good.

isaiah_iv

Reaction score

I am new about Carmina, but, Did Carmina use to use authentic Dainite sole with Carmina logo for their shoes? I did not know that. That was an absolutely great parternship!

Baked Potato

Reaction score
I am new about Carmina, but, Did Carmina use to use authentic Dainite sole with Carmina logo for their shoes? I did not know that. That was an absolutely great parternship!
I have older shoes which used their own logo, which wasn’t genuine Dainite (as far as I know), but their own variant. I also have shoes from them (which aren’t as old as the prior) that have genuine Dainite soles (no Carmina logo, but Dainite’s own logo).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads