• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
My brolive shell order arrived this week. First day back at the office yesterday and so only just getting to really take a look at them today. Pics follow... this small current batch of brolive seems much lighter than some of the runs a few years back. To be honest, I am not crazy about the color. I would have preferred them darker but this is part of the fun of shell and they will evolve significantly in time. I think once faded the color will get more of the golden/brown undertones that are common with the darker flavors of brolive while just approaching that hue from the opposite direction. I may sun this pair a little to get that process started.

As far as production quality, honestly haven't scrutinized them too carefully yet. The only thing noticeable off the bat is that the toe of the left boot has a bit of striated texturing, which I suspect is just from being pulled over the last tightly. Not 100% sure. Could just be the nature of the shell. Otherwise, they seem good.

IMG_1856.jpg
IMG_1858.jpg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My brolive shell order arrived this week. First day back at the office yesterday and so only just getting to really take a look at them today. Pics follow... this small current batch of brolive seems much lighter than some of the runs a few years back. To be honest, I am not crazy about the color. I would have preferred them darker but this is part of the fun of shell and they will evolve significantly in time. I think once faded the color will get more of the golden/brown undertones that are common with the darker flavors of brolive while just approaching that hue from the opposite direction. I may sun this pair a little to get that process started.

As far as production quality, honestly haven't scrutinized them too carefully yet. The only thing noticeable off the bat is that the toe of the left boot has a bit of striated texturing, which I suspect is just from being pulled over the last tightly. Not 100% sure. Could just be the nature of the shell. Otherwise, they seem good.

View attachment 1630107 View attachment 1630105
That's actually a gorgeous true olive color to my eye. Very unique!

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
That's actually a gorgeous true olive color to my eye. Very unique!

I am red/green color blind --- haha --- so I might not be the best judge of some green tones. To me they are a hair muted and greyish but I'm realizing now that it's more likely just my deficiency, which affects only specific shades. At this point, I can usually spot the colors that I can't see correctly but didn't actually think this was the case with this color. Apparently that's not the case. Good times, good times....

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Thanks, I asked the same question about available colors (as well as some other topics) but hadnt heard back yet. Thanks for posting this.

thefoobar

Reaction score
Thanks, I asked the same question about available colors (as well as some other topics) but hadnt heard back yet. Thanks for posting this.
Brave man to order green shell while colorblind!

For anyone considering a MTO boot, if you don't have wide feet I highly recommend trying Sineu:
d.jpg

Also, if you need Carmina trees and are in Europe, Pediwear has a sale on the hinged ones at an attractive price because they generally fly under the EU VAT radar.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

****, those boots are nice!
I much prefer your brolive from previous batches, personally.
Are those the green braided laces that Carmina offers btw?
Those are double leather, right?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
****, those boots are nice!
I much prefer your brolive from previous batches, personally.
Are those the green braided laces that Carmina offers btw?
Those are double leather, right?

Cheers man, thank you! Funny you ask about the laces, I had to check back to my order because I couldn't recall what I'd requested. I'd actually asked for a pair of brown and a pair of green braided laces since I wasn't sure which color would work better. I'm away for the weekend so I can't be sure if that was fulfilled but knowing Carmina, I am sure it was.

These are on double JR, yes.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to have an example image of the Detroit last used for an oxford?

ETA: @EUtroll - any chance you can help out with a couple of quick pics? looks like you have a pair.

ETA2: nevermind, found an example of stock pair from carmina. never noticed they had one...

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My man! Holy shiiite those are smokin!

That color is absolutely spectacular, it would be a real shame to change that beautiful color prematurely, by sunning them.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
My man! Holy shiiite those are smokin!

That color is absolutely spectacular, it would be a real shame to change that beautiful color prematurely, by sunning them.

Thanks dude, appreciate the compliment! I'll wear them a few times and see how they do with different fits. ;)

EUtroll

Reaction score
Does anyone happen to have an example image of the Detroit last used for an oxford?

ETA: @EUtroll - any chance you can help out with a couple of quick pics? looks like you have a pair.

ETA2: nevermind, found an example of stock pair from carmina. never noticed they had one...

I think it's a great combination and a lot neater than one would expect. But a pair that hasn't been worn for well over a year!

IMG_20210627_075915.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics