• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thefoobar

Reaction score
Good day. No, I did not pay a surcharge. My MTO was not done during an MTO weekend/holiday. To be honest, it was never discussed.
Me too. I've got back-half-Simpson-front-half-RainD jodphur coming. For modifying their lasts into something custom the MTO surcharge is completely reasonable, and highly attractive if you can get a fit that's practically bespoke. To say I'm looking forward to receiving it is an understatement. I've never dared order jodphurs because of the lack of laces means my narrow feet slip too much.

zaiten

Reaction score
Good day gents

need your opinion about my latest GMTO order.
I received it today and although I was happy with my first balmoral bourbon shell, I was disappointed by 2 issues on one of the boots as in photos; a nudge on the cap toe and a bad finish between the sole and the cap toe at the same area. May be the nudge was a result from trying to fix the sole.
Anyway, need your honest opinion, shall I return them back for a fix, or it’s normal and I shall keep it.
9E870CB9-95F3-477E-B805-CA6EC1026B00.jpeg
9F8836FE-AAA4-4984-8321-461CB026F112.jpeg
9E954ACE-30C6-431E-8D1A-B1907EFA3D2E.jpeg
C3CB00B6-06A2-4DBE-A5E4-BC96777FB28B.jpeg

Last edited:

thefoobar

Reaction score
My attitude is generally a weighted decision mostly centered on whether it's worse than what the shoe would look like after a week of wears. So personally I would return for structural problems, but not superficial scratches that no-one notices.

zaiten

Reaction score
My attitude is generally a weighted decision mostly centered on whether it's worse than what the shoe would look like after a week of wears. So personally I would return for structural problems, but not superficial scratches that no-one notices.
Superficial scratches I wouldn’t mind but I’m worried about deep scratch that looks like a needle cut the surface as I highlighted in the last photo. Also the poor fixing of the sole, although I know that working with shell is rather challenging.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you’re worried that it’s a structural issue and it could rip apart at the stitching ask for a remake. Maybe ask a local cobbler what he or she thinks about the stability of it. As for the nick on the cordovan… just put some cordovan cream on it and you’re good to go.

EricEric999

Reaction score
Good day gents

I received it today and although I was happy with my first balmoral bourbon shell, I was disappointed by 2 issues on one of the boots as in photos; a nudge on the cap toe and a bad finish between the sole and the cap toe at the same area. May be the nudge was a result from trying to fix the sole.
Anyway, need your honest opinion, shall I return them back for a fix, or it’s normal and I shall keep it. View attachment 1627201 View attachment 1627200 View attachment 1627233 View attachment 1627252
I think its a defect on the second pic can not be accepted. I also just get my GMTO bourbon shell shoes, the color not like before shows light brown color,its more like natural shell now,how do you think?

zaiten

Reaction score
I think its a defect on the second pic can not be accepted. I also just get my GMTO bourbon shell shoes, the color not like before shows light brown color,its more like natural shell now,how do you think?
For the color, It looks like bourbon shell
6B50F108-C6C6-4C77-8367-7C1ECE2BBF42.jpeg

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good day gents

Anyway, need your honest opinion, shall I return them back for a fix, or it’s normal and I shall keep it. View attachment 1627201 View attachment 1627200 View attachment 1627233 View attachment 1627252
Woah. Based on the 3rd picture I’d send them an email about it for sure.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice shoe! Is this cordovan or just museum (calf)? Which color is this?

I can't find it on the website of Carmina. MTO?
Thanks! Brown museum calf (I specified I wanted lots of contrast) - this was an MTO.

Aurrian

Reaction score
Custom weekend seems to be on again! Too bad I ordered my custom boots a while ago... but at least they arrived in time for my wedding. :)

h.mikhail.h

Reaction score
Happy building, gentlemen! It would be fun to see screenshots of your builds!

F955DCD4-DF6A-4FB1-AAB7-CE1DAE055A13.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads