• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

officine

Reaction score
How does this work? Because I'd really love a Rain D toe and Simpson heel.
I'm unsure of this. No harm in asking them. The Rain D and Simpson heels should be very close.

I suspect that given the regular Rain and the Rain D are the same family of lasts, and within shouting distance of each other on width, they were able to accommodate. I'm not sure if I had asked for Rain EEE forefoot and Rain D heel if it would have worked.

If you meant how did I request it, put in your comments on you MTO order. Better yet, will ask my contact at Carmina and get back to you.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Adelaides (from yesterday):
F55F3791-5821-4CA3-8871-AD98F3165D15.jpeg

officine

Reaction score
How does this work? Because I'd really love a Rain D toe and Simpson heel.
If you meant how did I request it, put in your comments on you MTO order. Better yet, will ask my contact at Carmina and get back to you.
Good day. Received word that this can be accommodated. Someone from Carmina will reply on this thread as well (as I have been told).

Cheers

thefoobar

Reaction score
Good day. Received word that this can be accommodated. Someone from Carmina will reply on this thread as well (as I have been told).

Cheers
Ooh, goody! Rain D's heel and instep are just a little more voluminous than Simpson, but Simpson's forefoot is wider and more symmetric than Rain D. Getting the best of both in a really narrow last would be great for my foot shape. And they sent me a DM; nice.

isaiah_iv

Reaction score
Someone know if these style of shoe trees will be available again? These are beautiful and well constructed.

Carmina_shoe-trees.jpg

thefoobar

Reaction score
Do these types of smooth shoe trees even absorb moisture? Cant be better than sanded cedar imo.
The whole cedar vs beech, lacquer vs none debate has been thoroughly exhausted. There's never been any evidence that one approach produces significantly better outcomes than the rest. The main function is to stretch the shoe back into shape after wearing, and the best outcomes are from trees that fit the last well, while wood type and finish has minimal quantifiable effect. A good experiment on the long term effect of use of shoe trees can be found here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics