• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I mean a photo from above, so I can see the shape of the lasts, if you get what I mean. :)
Here you go - the suede are Uetam in a UK8, the calf are Forest in a UK7.5.
2DA177A9-920B-48DB-A98D-24C09AA37175.jpeg

The Sandman

Reaction score
Has anyone else received a Carmina custom made or MTO pair and gotten standard soles instead of the specified Rendenbach soles? That's what happened on my pair of GMTO museum wholecuts. Carmina customer support doesn't think it's a big deal... in fact, "The redenbach and the leather sole you have received are not different in terms of quality or durability."

Well, maybe that's true but the fact remains that Carmina sells the JR's as a premium upgrade, so yeah, I can't agree.

They've offered to refund the difference in price between the standard and upgrade soles, give me a voucher for a future resole of the shoes with JR soles when the soles wear out, or a discount voucher on my next purchase. I was set to accept the discount voucher until, on further questioning, it turns out it would only be valid for the rest of this year, and only for regular priced shoes - no sale items, outlet store, or GMTO. I understand about the outlet store and sale items, but the shoe I bought was GMTO to begin with. In effect, I don't have the option to return the shoes for a pair that is made to the GMTO specs at the GMTO price.

Am I being too picky, expecting a GMTO shoe to be delivered as ordered?

ErPupone4

Reaction score
Has anyone else received a Carmina custom made or MTO pair and gotten standard soles instead of the specified Rendenbach soles? That's what happened on my pair of GMTO museum wholecuts. Carmina customer support doesn't think it's a big deal... in fact, "The redenbach and the leather sole you have received are not different in terms of quality or durability."

Well, maybe that's true but the fact remains that Carmina sells the JR's as a premium upgrade, so yeah, I can't agree.

They've offered to refund the difference in price between the standard and upgrade soles, give me a voucher for a future resole of the shoes with JR soles when the soles wear out, or a discount voucher on my next purchase. I was set to accept the discount voucher until, on further questioning, it turns out it would only be valid for the rest of this year, and only for regular priced shoes - no sale items, outlet store, or GMTO. I understand about the outlet store and sale items, but the shoe I bought was GMTO to begin with. In effect, I don't have the option to return the shoes for a pair that is made to the GMTO specs at the GMTO price.

Not at all. I would either take the price difference or the future resole. Having both a pair with Carmina soles and JR soles, the JR soles are definitely better and longer lasting. That's poor on Carmina's part.

EUtroll

Reaction score
Adding to it, I find Carmina's normal leather soles to be quite mediocre in terms of durability, nowhere near my jr soles.

siddeh

Reaction score

Not being too picky at all - there is a significant difference between their standard and JR soles.

cop1211

Reaction score
Same thing happened an one of my MTO’s. Ordered double JR and toe plates, showed up with Carmines sole and no toe plates.

EUtroll

Reaction score
I think quite a few imperfections can and should be tolerated at Carmina's price level, especially given the possibilities for customisation, but that feels like a step too far.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Hi all. Looking into buying a pair of Carmina and have some sizing questions. First off, I’ve got a high instep. I wear 8D in vintage Florsheim and they fit comfortable. I wear an 8D in some AE lasts but wear an 8E in others due to my foot width and instep. The Dalton didn’t work in 8D due to lack of room in the toe area. My First Ave (201 last) boots in 8E fit well (if a bit roomy). Which last is most likely to fit me? I’ve been staring at several in the Forest last, are they likely to fit me in 8D?

oskrusa

Reaction score
Hi all. Looking into buying a pair of Carmina and have some sizing questions. First off, I’ve got a high instep. I wear 8D in vintage Florsheim and they fit comfortable. I wear an 8D in some AE lasts but wear an 8E in others due to my foot width and instep. The Dalton didn’t work in 8D due to lack of room in the toe area. My First Ave (201 last) boots in 8E fit well (if a bit roomy). Which last is most likely to fit me? I’ve been staring at several in the Forest last, are they likely to fit me in 8D?

First off, I would recommend you getting sized properly in of Carminas stores.
If that is not an option, then I would recommend starting with Forest on 7UK EEE (Their widest fit on Forest, kind of E equivalent in US size), and I would order 7.5UK EE to compare, then return the pair you don't want to keep.

Disclaimer: following fitting advice from the Internet is not always the smartest move, Yada, Yada, etc. etc.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Uh Yeahhh, not sure what the person is smoking that wrote that note to you, there is definitely a significant difference, JR’s are the ultimate leather soles. Of the choices, I’d go for the future resole to JR’s.

Bleedblue

Reaction score
Hi friends - could anyone share “on the hoof” pictures of the Sineu last? Considering a chukka in the Sineu and trying to visualize how they might look relative to my Forest last chukka. beautifully posed shoe shots are all well and good but curious to see how they look in balance. (I’m mostly afraid they might be a touch pointy, as I find my Rains to be)

Any thoughts on fit also welcome, but my general sense is “if Forest and Rain fit Sineu will too.” (High instep, wider foot, if anyone cares to comment)

harlequin782

Reaction score
Im not a sole guy at all. (Meaning, I dont get wrapped up in sole specs and sole properties, fluid absortion rates, durability, etc) and even I know that Redenbauch soles are noticeably superior to standard leather soles in my experience. They wear down slower and they also hold their shape longer than standard leather soles.

Webbo

Reaction score
I’m sure things will settle once the new norm gets established. Any idea if it’s true that goods originating within the EU don’t attract customs / vat but are rather taxed in the country of purchase?
Im not a sole guy at all. (Meaning, I dont get wrapped up in sole specs and sole properties, fluid absortion rates, durability, etc) and even I know that Redenbauch soles are noticeably superior to standard leather soles in my experience. They wear down slower and they also hold their shape longer than standard leather soles.
Exactly my experience too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads