• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gr8man

Reaction score
Hello guys, my first carmina have issues/defect and I would really like your advice.

Let me explain in details:

I ordered my first pair in size 6.5 and since it was too big I've ordered a second pair of the same shoe in size 6.

The second pair arrived, sizing was perfect but there are two issues:
  • Major issue: the leather sole have a cut in this spot and some kind of staple/nails/metal is visible.
View attachment 1604848 View attachment 1604857 View attachment 1604858
  • Second issue: the leather is deformed there on the heel and is not a straight line but this issue doesn't botter me too much.
View attachment 1604849

At that point, I've ordered a third pair in size 6 hoping there will be no issues and asked a refund to carmina for both pair, they gave me the authorization form but I did not send the first two pairs yet so I can send the three pairs at once if it also have issues.

The third pair arrived today, sizing is ok, no major issues, the only thing that botter me is that the "carving marks" just near the welt are not made correctly or not even appearing, you can compare with the picture below the marks between the first pair and the third pair.

First pair
View attachment 1604850
Third pair
View attachment 1604851

So now I have 3 pairs of the same shoe, I really like the quality of the second one, more details, better shape, fits better and look higher quality than the third one but the cut and the metal appearing scares me a lot, do you think this is a major issue or not really ?

What do you guys think I should do ? Refund all three pairs and try again with another pair ? Or keep the second/third pair ?

Thank you in advance!
Just enjoy your new boots, there is nothing to worry about with was you refer to.

zurich64

Reaction score
Just enjoy your new boots, there is nothing to worry about with was you refer to.
Hello guys, my first carmina have issues/defect and I would really like your advice.

Let me explain in details:

I ordered my first pair in size 6.5 and since it was too big I've ordered a second pair of the same shoe in size 6.

The second pair arrived, sizing was perfect but there are two issues:
  • Major issue: the leather sole have a cut in this spot and some kind of staple/nails/metal is visible.
View attachment 1604848 View attachment 1604857 View attachment 1604858
  • Second issue: the leather is deformed there on the heel and is not a straight line but this issue doesn't botter me too much.
View attachment 1604849

At that point, I've ordered a third pair in size 6 hoping there will be no issues and asked a refund to carmina for both pair, they gave me the authorization form but I did not send the first two pairs yet so I can send the three pairs at once if it also have issues.

The third pair arrived today, sizing is ok, no major issues, the only thing that botter me is that the "carving marks" just near the welt are not made correctly or not even appearing, you can compare with the picture below the marks between the first pair and the third pair.

First pair
View attachment 1604850
Third pair
View attachment 1604851

So now I have 3 pairs of the same shoe, I really like the quality of the second one, more details, better shape, fits better and look higher quality than the third one but the cut and the metal appearing scares me a lot, do you think this is a major issue or not really ?

What do you guys think I should do ? Refund all three pairs and try again with another pair ? Or keep the second/third pair ?

Thank you in advance!
None of these are defects. Keep the third pair, if the visible joint on the second pair is bothering you, although it might not be noticeable after polish and use.

The kind of expectation you seem to have cannot be met by online orders. If you want to avoid any minor imperfection, then going to a store is best.

Al Greco

Reaction score
None of these are defects. Keep the third pair, if the visible joint on the second pair is bothering you, although it might not be noticeable after polish and use.

The kind of expectation you seem to have cannot be met by online orders. If you want to avoid any minor imperfection, then going to a store is best.

The visible joint is not really what bothered me but the metal/staple that we can see inside the joint.
I wasn't sure if that could affect the lifespan of the shoe, but then I was told that it should not affect it so I have kept the second pair.

You can see the metal circled in red.
P1050125.JPG

Thank you all for your help!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should put your microscope away, in case you haven't got that message already ;)
How dare you question him, if others here are encouraged while making foolish complaints… :lol:
0BB02573-B62A-4071-86AF-5F01BCA7227D.gif

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I examine all of my new shoes under a microscope. If you don't it's very hard to see the defects. As such, I've returned approximately 500 pairs due to defects. A couple millimeters of spotty alignment can make all the difference in the wear patterns and effect the long term viability of the said shoes.?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The visible joint is not really what bothered me but the metal/staple that we can see inside the joint.
I wasn't sure if that could affect the lifespan of the shoe, but then I was told that it should not affect it so I have kept the second pair.

You can see the metal circled in red.
View attachment 1606096

Thank you all for your help!
You'll probably only get 20 years due to that flaw and not the customary 25. Tough call whether to keep them or not

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hot take.

The Carmina thread is becoming more and more like an Alden Fanboy thread

CMT1

Reaction score
MTO bourbon shell 80440 loafers for casual Friday. Over a year old and out maybe 2-3 times total, I'm really looking forward to wearing these more this season.

oweRWrh.jpg

Ckv4JoK.jpg

Have a great weekend everyone!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MTO bourbon shell 80440 loafers for casual Friday. Over a year old and out maybe 2-3 times total, I'm really looking forward to wearing these more this season.

oweRWrh.jpg

Ckv4JoK.jpg

Have a great weekend everyone!
Do I spot a reverso on the wrist?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads