• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pewpewpewpew

Reaction score
A few months back I had an issue with a pair of Carmina Cordovan boots arriving with creases. They were willing to take the return and send me a new pair.
I was happy with the new pair until a couple of days ago when, after less than 10 wears on them, I found a small hole in the toe box after giving it a (not hard) brush. When shining the shoe under a light, it looks like there are several lighter spots in the area as well. Anyone know what this issue is? I have only given it a brush once every other wear. This is my first time handling cordovan, but I certainly didn't expect holes after very minimal wear.
IMG_8065.jpg

IMG_8062.jpg

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As @Carmina customer service has been discussed lately...

View attachment 1593740 View attachment 1593742

I was walking down Madison yesterday (towards Alden) and thought I would stop to see the new Carmina store and was presented with this sign. The frustrating and customer service related issue was that it was after 1pm, I was looking in through the door, the sales associate asked me to get out of the way so he could unlock the door, he then went in, did not say anything, relocked the door, and disappeared into the back. After 10 minutes I gave up and walked away. A part of me wanted to stay and explain that "Out to Lunch" has a much different meaning than "Out for Lunch" but I did not have more time to waste (on Carmina).

There could be so many answers but here are my questions:
- Why would Carmina only have one sales associate at their new Madison and 53rd flagship store?
- If possibly the other person was out sick, why not have someone from the original store cover lunch because it is not even half a mile away which by NYC standards is nothing?
- When I walked to the 45th street store there were two people inside, 1 helping a customer and the other one behind the desk working on a computer so they could have covered 53rd if needed.
- And the biggest injustice, and why I wanted to stop by the newer and larger Madison Ave store, is because 45th still barely stocks anything on the Detroit last.

Knowing how little most companies pay sales associates, I do not understand how they cannot always have more than one especially when they are spending a fortune on two stores in Manhattan less than nine blocks (aka less than a half mile) from each other. WTF, Carmina?

View attachment 1593748
Quite a detailed description of your experience ???

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few months back I had an issue with a pair of Carmina Cordovan boots arriving with creases. They were willing to take the return and send me a new pair.
I was happy with the new pair until a couple of days ago when, after less than 10 wears on them, I found a small hole in the toe box after giving it a (not hard) brush. When shining the shoe under a light, it looks like there are several lighter spots in the area as well. Anyone know what this issue is? I have only given it a brush once every other wear. This is my first time handling cordovan, but I certainly didn't expect holes after very minimal wear.
View attachment 1593774
View attachment 1593775
To me, the hole looks like it could be a knick from wearing them. If there was a small nail that you bumped against or something like that. The light spots are probably watermarks

Can someone pls post some pictures?
I think everyone is too afraid to take a picture, because they might notice a defect.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1593774
View attachment 1593775
Leather moths ?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
View attachment 1593774
View attachment 1593775

The spots and the small hole are hair follicles. It's fairly common and isn't normally an issue, especially on the toe cap where it's not subject to flexing.

pewpewpewpew

Reaction score
To me, the hole looks like it could be a knick from wearing them. If there was a small nail that you bumped against or something like that. The light spots are probably watermarks

I think everyone is too afraid to take a picture, because they might notice a defect.
The hole was not there before I started brushing. Of course, there is always a chance I missed it but I doubt it. The pair is new enough where I would be conscious of bumping them into anything. The hole is very clean, which to me speaks to a tear rather than a hole from hitting it against something.

The spots and the small hole are hair follicles. It's fairly common and isn't normally an issue, especially on the toe cap where it's not subject to flexing.
Thanks for the answer - is there something I can do about it? I assume it was filled out with something which my brushing removed. From my understanding brushing is the most important part of maintaining cordovan but I am not interested in hair follicle brogue.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
The hole was not there before I started brushing. Of course, there is always a chance I missed it but I doubt it. The pair is new enough where I would be conscious of bumping them into anything. The hole is very clean, which to me speaks to a tear rather than a hole from hitting it against something.

Thanks for the answer - is there something I can do about it? I assume it was filled out with something which my brushing removed. From my understanding brushing is the most important part of maintaining cordovan but I am not interested in hair follicle brogue.

My suggestion is to just enjoy your boots. It's really not an issue. If it makes you feel any better I have literally the exact same follicle kind of mark on an even newer pair of Aldens that I am wearing today. It's just the nature of the material sometimes.

IMG_1476 (002).jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads