• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

miamidoc

Reaction score
I don't think I understand this statement
Let me clarify by a music analogy. One can play a piece of music technically perfect. But often the nuances, imperfections or improvisational flourishes make it have “soul” or a feeling of personality. To take it back to the shoe world — the clicking is part of this personalization. Or the thickness of a midsole. Or the depth of a heel. It’s an art.

My EG are beautiful.Don’t get me wrong. But I don’t feel that connection to each pair the same as some of my Carminas. Maybe it’s why some appreciate technical perfection in footwear and others prefer a looser standard more tolerant of interpretive idiosyncrasies.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me clarify by a music analogy. One can play a piece of music technically perfect. But often the nuances, imperfections or improvisational flourishes make it have “soul” or a feeling of personality. To take it back to the shoe world — the clicking is part of this personalization. Or the thickness of a midsole. Or the depth of a heel. It’s an art.

My EG are beautiful.Don’t get me wrong. But I don’t feel that connection to each pair the same as some of my Carminas. Maybe it’s why some appreciate technical perfection in footwear and others prefer a looser standard more tolerant of interpretive idiosyncrasies.
I would understand this if it wasn’t about Carmina and EG given they’re both factory made GYW shoes. It’s not like we’re talking about some small bespoke maker leaving their mark on the shoe and their mistakes or personality coming through.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I hate it when my watch doesn't have a soul.

It's a good analogy, actually. Mechanical watches (mainly antique ones) are directionally accurate and have a tendency to get wonky. Huge charm. If I wanted an accurate watch, I'd get an Ironman for $20.

miamidoc

Reaction score
I would understand this if it wasn’t about Carmina and EG given they’re both factory made GYW shoes. It’s not like we’re talking about some small bespoke maker leaving their mark on the shoe and their mistakes or personality coming through.
Yes factory made but all those things i mentioned are not automated and are the interpretation of those making the shoes.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes factory made but all those things i mentioned are not automated and are the interpretation of those making the shoes.
Both are gyw and I think Carmina clicking is automated vs EG hand clicking. I believe EG has more hand work involved vs Carmina. Based on your analogy AE would also fall into this category. I think Carmina and AE are more rushed through the factory and less QC. Your analogy would have made a bit more sense with Bonafe or Vass but not with Carmina.

miamidoc

Reaction score
Both are gyw and I think Carmina clicking is automated vs EG hand clicking. I believe EG has more hand work involved vs Carmina. Based on your analogy AE would also fall into this category. I think Carmina and AE are more rushed through the factory and less QC. Your analogy would have made a bit more sense with Bonafe or Vass but not with Carmina.
Carmina does hand clicking. So I guess my analogy makes sense then. FFS

SirThopas

Reaction score
Apologies for perpetuating the off-topic theme... I’m interested to read the line about Edward Green shoes lacking soul. I’d never thought of it quite this way before, but I can relate. I have one pair of EGs that I love and wear a lot - Dover - but the others see very little action despite my obviously having been pretty keen when I forked out the far from trivial sums they cost. I don’t really feel a connection to them. Is it maybe that they’re too refined? Is it something to do with the underwhelming experience of buying them? Is the brand a bit unengaging or fey? Is it that the sophisticated styles suit my personality or aesthetic less than I’d care to acknowledge? I don’t know.

Last edited:

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get the idea, personally I love EG, but I find John Lobb a bit soulless. There’s something intangible that I really like about them, so the opposite of some of you I suppose!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads