• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't worn these guys in a while. They were a MTO on the Simpson last from quite a few years back.

20160127_165103.jpg

officine

Reaction score
I'm thinking of ordering a pair of burgundy vegano chelsea boots when, hopefully, the custom weekend goes live later this month, but I'm not sure what colour elastic I'll choose. Would you guys recommend black or burgundy? Or perhaps something else? If anyone has pictures of these combinations, I would be eternally grateful!

Thanks in advance, everyone!
I don't have such a makeup, but I'd suggest dark brown or a color matching your sole's edge dressing.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, happy to post something positive in this mostly crazy thread. I ordered these simple Derbies, was supposed to be 60 days and took 90, not too bad, I even kind of forgot about them and suddenly received them without warning (I mean I didn't receive any email saying the shoes shipped) a few days ago.

Only a very slight disappointment is that the "amaretto" shell color is practically identical to my AE Leeds brown shell, I thought I was going to have something different. but the shoe is very well made, fit very well and don't see any flaws. The shoe trees are very nice.

I prefer the AE in general but very happy with these.

Carmina.JPG

serbarristan

Reaction score
Hi, happy to post something positive in this mostly crazy thread. I ordered these simple Derbies, was supposed to be 60 days and took 90, not too bad, I even kind of forgot about them and suddenly received them without warning (I mean I didn't receive any email saying the shoes shipped) a few days ago.

Only a very slight disappointment is that the "amaretto" shell color is practically identical to my AE Leeds brown shell, I thought I was going to have something different. but the shoe is very well made, fit very well and don't see any flaws. The shoe trees are very nice.

View attachment 1586095
Beautiful! Lighting caveats apply, but to me these look way closer to my Armagnac pair than my Amarettos.

KKL81

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Carmina can put some extra padding under the tongue of mto shoes? Sort of like a built-in tongue pad covered by the lining?

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I'm thinking of ordering a pair of burgundy vegano chelsea boots when, hopefully, the custom weekend goes live later this month, but I'm not sure what colour elastic I'll choose. Would you guys recommend black or burgundy? Or perhaps something else? If anyone has pictures of these combinations, I would be eternally grateful!

Thanks in advance, everyone!

popped mine on for an example. I like the look of matching but horses for courses.
C15F055F-B192-4A94-BD97-672B5EF91666.jpeg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

View attachment 1586095

That's a gorgeous color but it doesn't look at all like the amaretto that I have... maybe the lighting? There is normally a distinctly orange cast and, if you're lucky, some of the shells have some burnt red undertones as well. Lovely shoes, man.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1586095
Probably a dumb question, but did you actually order amaretto? Only reason I ask is bc, if I remember correctly, it was a special order only offered to Styleforum members

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful! Lighting caveats apply, but to me these look way closer to my Armagnac pair than my Amarettos.
Thanks everyone,

I went to the original order and you are all right. They are Armagnac indeed, not amaretto. I’m old and decrepit.

nevertheless the same comment applies, it’s almost exactly as Allen Edmonds brown, maybe just a little bit lighter, almost the same. This is really nitpicking and not important but I don’t see the need to invent exotic shell names when brown will do.

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Thanks everyone,

I went to the original order and you are all right. They are Armagnac indeed, not amaretto. I’m old and decrepit.

nevertheless the same comment applies, it’s almost exactly as Allen Edmonds brown, maybe just a little bit lighter, almost the same. This is really nitpicking and not important but I don’t see the need to invent exotic shell names when brown will do.

That makes more sense. Armagnac is a very nice color. My pair of ptbs posted a page or so back are older armagnac and the color is a bit different from AE's brown, which is Horween Dark Cognac. Armagnac is technically a different color but there's of course variation.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

View attachment 1586095

If you are not happy with them...what size are they?

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm very happy with them, size is 7E

My path to dementia continues, I took a pic next to the AE's in the light and they are different colors, they looked the same in the closet.

Also a pic of my Vass "cognac" color for reference that looks to be in the middle.

Carmina2.JPG
Cognac1.jpg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I'm very happy with them, size is 7E

My path to dementia continues, I took a pic next to the AE's in the light and they are different colors, they looked the same in the closet.

Also a pic of my Vass "cognac" color for reference that looks to be in the middle.

View attachment 1586562 View attachment 1586563

It just occurred to me that you didn't order the standard Carmina PTB makeup. Your pair has fewer eyelets. I don't think I have seen this model before. Did you order the cap toe derby and request that the cap be deleted?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads