• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It has been a Carmina 531 Plain Toe Derby Brown Repello kind of day...
(although, technically it is a Blucher so I am not sure why they call it a Derby.)

IMG_2523.jpg

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
In the UK, it is a derby shoe.

Okay but Carmina is Spanish and then what is a blucher? As far as I understand it and others have agreed (although it seems makers use whatever term they want even if not correct), the shoe on the left <- is a Blucher and the shoe on the right -> (with the material going down to the welt) is a Derby.

1614976289933.png
Inked704-C_LI.jpg

And then I just found this handy little reference....
1614976513576.png

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay but Carmina is Spanish and then what is a blucher? As far as I understand it and others have agreed (although it seems makers use whatever term they want even if not correct), the shoe on the left <- is a Blucher and the shoe on the right -> (with the material going down to the welt) is a Derby.

View attachment 1568166 View attachment 1568169
I can only speak on the terminology used in the uk. We refer to shoes as Oxford and Derby. Both are towns in the uk. Not sure if they’re named after the towns. If it’s closed lace, it’s referred to as an Oxford and if it’s open laced, it’s referred to as a derby. So the latter would still be a type of derby shoe here in the uk.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I can only speak on the terminology used in the uk. We refer to shoes as Oxford and Derby. Both are towns in the uk. Not sure if they’re named after the towns. If it’s closed lace, it’s referred to as an Oxford and if it’s open laced, it’s referred to as a derby. So the latter would still be a type of derby shoe here in the uk.

Thank you as I have only ever visited London and we (my wife and I) are due for a trip once this worldwide pandemic thing is over. Last trip was December 2019 to celebrate her mother's 80th and visit with some ex-pat friends. At least know I know the terminology for the next visit when I will definitely be shopping for shoes. :)

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you as I have only ever visited London and we (my wife and I) are due for a trip once this worldwide pandemic thing is over. Last trip was December 2019 to celebrate her mother's 80th and visit with some ex-pat friends. At least know I know the terminology for the next visit when I will definitely be shopping for shoes. :)
London is a great city. Hope you enjoy your next visit ?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love these. In fact I attempted to copy you a little with my recent MTO with some minor mods. What color did you order for the vamp?
Thanks! I’m very pleased with them. It’s loden suede over bourbon shell. Looking forward to seeing your interpretation!

miamidoc

Reaction score
Thanks! I’m very pleased with them. It’s loden suede over bourbon shell. Looking forward to seeing your interpretation!
I did green repello on the upper with tan vegano on Oscar. We shall see!! Yours are smashing. ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads