• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are from the latest custom weekend - museum shell that was supposed to be Bordeaux, but ended up being Whiskey-ish. At first I thought sending them back, but as the boots look perfect in received colour, I decided to keep them rather than waiting for replacement in 2035. For the future orders (have one pair in works for my wife), I think I will go back to other makers. View attachment 1562914
Looks good.. all of this makes me think how smart Alden is, dark burgundy and black are the Cordovan colors, and they avoid all the problems with light shell colors, imperfections, returns etc. And when they make exceptions and do other colors they mostly do It right.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Looks good.. all of this makes me think how smart Alden is, dark burgundy and black are the Cordovan colors, and they avoid all the problems with light shell colors, imperfections, returns etc. And when they make exceptions and do other colors they mostly do It right.

I generally make an effort to not call out unreasonable complaints... but it's ludicrous to complain about color variation in museum or shaved shell cordovan. That is exactly the nature of the product. There is no way to know what you are going to get. This is a customer expectations issue and not at all a Carmina issue. I mean, as you said, to some extent this is a consideration for ANY lighter color shell. But in the case of the order above it is precisely the nature/appeal of the shell color that the customer chose.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are from the latest custom weekend - museum shell that was supposed to be Bordeaux, but ended up being Whiskey-ish. At first I thought sending them back, but as the boots look perfect in received colour, I decided to keep them rather than waiting for replacement in 2035. For the future orders (have one pair in works for my wife), I think I will go back to other makers. View attachment 1562914
Honestly what color were you expecting? This looks exactly like what I'd think Museum shell in Bordeaux would look like. If you don't like color variation don't order shell and really don't order Museum either. That's the whole point of both of those...

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly what color were you expecting? This looks exactly like what I'd think Museum shell in Bordeaux would look like. If you don't like color variation don't order shell and really don't order Museum either. That's the whole point of both of those...
You think these look like Bordeaux? Must be some weird Bordeaux wine you’re drinking.?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You think these look like Bordeaux? Must be some weird Bordeaux wine you’re drinking.?
I don't usually get into debates, especially on this thread, but give me a break. He ordered museum shell cordovan, I'd expect more color swerve than normal cordovan given the finish. I clearly see light and dark burgundy in these and nothing like whiskey

Cal135

Reaction score
Well, a bordeaux is red-ish colour. This is brown. Being a museum is totally different matter

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't usually get into debates, especially on this thread, but give me a break. He ordered museum shell cordovan, I'd expect more color swerve than normal cordovan given the finish. I clearly see light and dark burgundy in these and nothing like whiskey
There is no red undertone to these whatsoever, which is what you’d expect in Bordeaux. They have a brown undertone. This being, they are museum, so variation is expected.....in the correct colour.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, a bordeaux is red-ish colour. This is brown. Being a museum is totally different matter
Okay, well the picture shows red-ish so maybe it's being distorted and honestly I think they look great.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, well the picture shows red-ish so maybe it's being distorted and honestly I think they look great.
Maybe it’s a difference in colour settings on everyone’s monitor ?

Cal135

Reaction score

Yes, pic quality can be a bit off. And I fully agree, they look really great.?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Are we really debating now how redish or brownish color 8 marbled shell is? LOL...

My pair of marbled color 8 from Carmina is similar in color tone. There are lighter color 8 hues. There are browns. There are whiskey tones. It's the nature of the product. It's a feature not a bug.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are we really debating now how redish or brownish color 8 marbled shell is? LOL...

My pair of marbled color 8 from Carmina is similar in color tone. There are lighter color 8 hues. There are browns. There are whiskey tones. It's the nature of the product. It's a feature not a bug.
Time for a poodle picture? ?

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally make an effort to not call out unreasonable complaints... but it's ludicrous to complain about color variation in museum or shaved shell cordovan. That is exactly the nature of the product. There is no way to know what you are going to get. This is a customer expectations issue and not at all a Carmina issue. I mean, as you said, to some extent this is a consideration for ANY lighter color shell. But in the case of the order above it is precisely the nature/appeal of the shell color that the customer chose.
I agree with you.. the shoe in question looks great btw. The only Carmina issue here is offering too many choices. I stopped dealing with Vass since they started with the museum stuff, and now shell museum?

i love the 3 Carmina shoes I have ordered, 2 in suede and 1 Cordovan “amaretto“, but I stayed simple with the stuff the have in stock, quicker and safer it looks like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads