• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

miamidoc

Reaction score
Y'all gonna hate me, because I'm in the EU so no customs troubles, I don't need a remake, they're black shell, and I received my order before @George Red to boot. You've been warned.

So a few months ago I picked up some Sineu penny loafers in order to test the last so I could have the confidence to MTO a 80179 on it. I pretty much live in them these due to Covid & working at home - they have 60 days' wear on them in this photo.
View attachment 1559211
And here's the 80179 on the Sineu last. Custom stuff (aside from Sineu instead of Soller) includes black double sole and eyelets for a little extra muscle. I wanted something that was versatile enough for the spectrum spanning suit to dark jeans.
View attachment 1559213
View attachment 1559214
View attachment 1559215
View attachment 1559216
View attachment 1559217
View attachment 1559219
Stuff I asked for that they didn't do and doesn't actually bother me that much:
  • Asked for black flat laces. In hindsight, whoever chose thick round ones knew what they were doing.
  • Asked for extra-thick double sole. It's slightly thicker compared to my other double soles, but not by much (they also beveled the base, making the side look thinner, probably so that the edge would fit in their rotary edge-burnisher tool I suppose).
  • One heel is slightly off-balance at the back (small gap). When I put weight on it, this problem goes away. I can't even tell when I'm wearing them, which is what counts.
I know a few of you have been having a rough time with Carmina's MTO program, but when it works, damn does it work well. Sineu is a pretty excellent last for shell boots if you don't have wide feet. Love the asymmetric toe. Consider trying it!
Well done!!! Never imagined sineu in a boot like that. But Wow. ??

I have an 80179 black boot cousin. This one in Detroit.
934D3C5C-38D1-4951-A46F-48C4E8D3E550.jpeg

Pieman

Reaction score
I don't think so - does Carmina ever mark their shoes with US sizes?
And both Jack Irwin's have 10½ on the inside and I checked the order from 2016 and that's listed as 11½ US but the Jack Erwins I just bought say 10 ½ and they're definitely too big. ??‍♂️
Got a little feedback from Carmina on this - shell shoes are not lasted as tightly because the leather doesn't give as much. Who'da thunk?

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, it looks like Carmina has removed Kid Leather from lining options. Now only the calf is available for the lining.

thefoobar

Reaction score
Got a little feedback from Carmina on this - shell shoes are not lasted as tightly because the leather doesn't give as much. Who'da thunk?
True, but it's not like it's a whole size difference...

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to say this in the past and no one understand this fact. These QC issues, inconsistencies, ignoring specific request etc.. they are Spanish, this is Spain not England (both my parents are Spanish BTW.) These people have unique character, they have a lot of talent but are disorganized and not only miss stuff but sometimes they do it on purpose, if the maker of the shoe doesn‘t like the extra thick double sole he won’t do it, if they are pissed off about something they won’t include the shoe trees promised.. exactly the same thing with Vass in Budapest, and I ordered dozens of them.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to say this in the past and no one understand this fact. These QC issues, inconsistencies, ignoring specific request etc.. they are Spanish, this is Spain not England (both my parents are Spanish BTW.) These people have unique character, they have a lot of talent but are disorganized and not only miss stuff but sometimes they do it on purpose, if the maker of the shoe doesn‘t like the extra thick double sole he won’t do it, if they are pissed off about something they won’t include the shoe trees promised.. exactly the same thing with Vass in Budapest, and I ordered dozens of them.
And that explains why Northern Europe is richer. We can be bothered to do our job. It’s called having a work ethic. Something sorely lacking in Southern Europe. I know this as I have family there?

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow saying the quiet part out loud huh
Nothing controversial about what I said. I was born in the UK but my heritage is Southern European. My girlfriend is Spanish. I’ve experienced first hand how sloppy our southern friends are ?

dench127

Reaction score
Nothing controversial about what I said. I was born in the UK but my heritage is Southern European. My girlfriend is Spanish. I’ve experienced first hand how sloppy our southern friends are ?

This sounds like the "I have a black friend" defense to me.

I think it's intellectually lazy to say the Northern European countries are wealthier because of a stronger work ethic (as though that is endemic to a region or uniform among its peoples) without recognizing the political and historical contexts that have afforded stronger safety nets, greater capital, and economic opportunity to these countries in comparison to their Southern counterparts.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This sounds like the "I have a black friend" defense to me.

I think it's intellectually lazy to say the Northern European countries are wealthier because of a stronger work ethic (as though that is endemic to a region or uniform among its peoples) without recognizing the political and historical contexts that have afforded stronger safety nets, greater capital, and economic opportunity to these countries in comparison to their Southern counterparts.
Nothing intellectually lazy about stating facts. We have a better work ethic. We’re more productive. Check the figures. Not sure what you mean about black friend. I’m of Southern European heritage....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads