• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You shouldn’t have to if you paid for the shoes last year, as the price would have included Spanish VAT. If you paid this year and Carmina haven’t paid U.K. VAT as part of the price then you need to pay that invoice.

If Carmina charged Spanish VAT and you paid this year then they have cocked up and need to give you that part back as you shouldn’t pay VAT twice.
The whole situation is a bit weird. When I spoke to DHL, they suggested that if we bought a product in the EU that originated completely from within the EU, we should just pay the local tax and that’s it. I think companies are still finding their way.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I paid last October so shouldn’t have to pay the . They’ve emailed me to say they’re contacting DHL.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I paid last October so shouldn’t have to pay the . They’ve emailed me to say they’re contacting DHL.
? i think they’re just teething problems. DHL seem to be particularly keen. They’re still holding onto a pair of boots that I returned over two weeks even though Carmina supplied all the necessary paperwork.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole situation is a bit weird. When I spoke to DHL, they suggested that if we bought a product in the EU that originated completely from within the EU, we should just pay the local tax and that’s it. I think companies are still finding their way.
Our local tax? Yes, that’s my understanding too, but the courier will invariably charge for paying that on the recipients behalf, so anything from the EU, even if it’s made in the EU ends up more expensive.

It seems to get really confusing when buying goods in the EU that were made outside the EU. I believe then you have to pay U.K. VAT, duty and whatever admin charge the courier levies.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our local tax? Yes, that’s my understanding too, but the courier will invariably charge for paying that on the recipients behalf, so anything from the EU, even if it’s made in the EU ends up more expensive.

It seems to get really confusing when buying goods in the EU that were made outside the EU. I believe then you have to pay U.K. VAT, duty and whatever admin charge the courier levies.
No, Spanish tax. In theory, given all the materials Carmina use originate within the EU and given the shoes are manufactured in the EU, nothing should have changed for us. We should have just paid Spanish tax and not UK tax.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, Spanish tax. In theory, given all the materials Carmina use originate within the EU and given the shoes are manufactured in the EU, nothing should have changed for us. We should have just paid Spanish tax and not UK tax.
Have you got a source for that? Everything I can find says that on goods entirely sourced and sold in the EU we should be paying Import VAT, and for goods not entirely sourced in the EU, but sold from there Import VAT + duty. It isn't helped by the fact that the HMRC site is not fully up to date on the new rules.

Edit - it looks like you need to register to see the FT article -this was the most telling quote
"Smaller EU foreign traders have criticised the new bureaucracy because they used to charge their domestic VAT rates. Some have even refused to supply to the UK."

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you got a source for that? Everything I can find says that on goods entirely sourced and sold in the EU we should be paying Import VAT, and for goods not entirely sourced in the EU, but sold from there Import VAT + duty. It isn't helped by the fact that the HMRC site is not fully up to date on the new rules.

Edit - it looks like you need to register to see the FT article -this was the most telling quote
"Smaller EU foreign traders have criticised the new bureaucracy because they used to charge their domestic VAT rates. Some have even refused to supply to the UK."

Just the discussion I had with DHL and an email from Asket (t-shirt retailer) over in Sweden.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just the discussion I had with DHL and an email from Asket (t-shirt retailer) over in Sweden.
You’d hope they know their stuff, especially DHL. It’s all frustratingly unclear.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’d hope they know their stuff, especially DHL. It’s all frustratingly unclear.
It is, I agree. I’ll try dig out the Asket email. The chap who responded explained it quite clear. He told me , there was no change to me as a consumer.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think, at the moment, the issues we’re experiencing are down to teething issues. Hopefully, a few months down the line, everything will be a lot smoother.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t pay it , drop Carmina an email. You shouldn’t be paying additional tax on orders from last year. I’ve just had a request for payment. Carmina are sitting it out.
+1
@Crafty Cumbrian I'd contact Carmina. a couple of years ago Carmina reimbursed me duty that I was erroneously charged by DHL. Given you placed your order last year and paid upfront, Carmina should cover your duty.

I received reimbursement within a couple of days of contacting Carmina.

janoy89

Reaction score
Hey just wondering how often does Carmina do their MTO events where they forgo the usual upcharge?

Cheers

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Casual plain derbies in brown suede today

7111963B-720F-4C9C-B2F4-1132B3EE275F.jpeg
B76482C8-E96B-43FB-959F-CE4CC404B2D1.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads