• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have something to say about the Quality of Carmina shoes.

My original post from May 16 2018 for some history and original pics.

Ok fast fwd and the reason for my post.

By Sept of 2018 I switched jobs and was now working from home. At this point these Carmina slip on loafers went into full time service being used everyday all day. Unfortunately all my other shoes stayed in storage as I was not going out of the house very much.

Note my Gate is Underpronation: Also called supination, this gait causes your foot to roll outward with each step, putting more pressure on the outside edge of your foot and small toes. So I wear the outside many times faster where the inside will still look almost new but the outside is gone.

By mid 2019 the heel had worn down in the back outside edge to the point my foot was really rolling and something had to be done.

Remember these are Are Not Goodyear welted they are mostly from what I see glued.

I took them to the local cobber to see what he could do and he said he could cut off the heel and glue on a new one for $25. I picked them up the next week and he did a really good job and the shoes were back in action everyday.

Now move up to the beginning of 2020 and the replacement heel was now worn down to the point of needing replacement and also the sole of the shoe was now also worn down all the way. I was going to take them back to the cobber but covid hit and everything is closed. I was working on airport projects so yup I got laid off too.

Now I am still stuck at home and wearing the worn out Carmina's that are in dire need of repair. I take a good look at them and decided that I think I can peel off the original rubber sole and replace it. So I decided to play cobbler I order up some full size replacement replacement rubber soles from Amazon $12. I buy some 100 year old cobbler tools off ebay and setup in my garage. Note my wife thinks I have gone crazy and wonders if I am now taking up a new profession.

Ok I manage to get the old sole peeled off and I am left with what looks like a flat leather sole. I clean up everything get out the rubber cement and managed to get everything back together. The replacement full soles were crazy big so I used a small saw to cut off most of the excess and then my belt sander to finish them off.

Being my first time they came out good and the Carmina's are back into full time service.

Keep in mind these are glue together shoes so more or less one time use most people would just throw them out after they worn down the first time. I really like the shoe and the body was still in great shape so I knew they had more service left. This is really the second resole so they are really going above and beyond.

Well here we are in 2021 and yet again those soles are worn down and my foot is rolling to the side so again they are in need of a resole. Yes by now these Carmina's are showing their age but I can't retire them yet and still unemployed so I need to save money. I order up another full rubber replacement this time from eBay another $12.

Now the replacement soles have arrived and below you have pics of the rebuilt for the 3rd time Carmina's

I don't want to get to close with the pics as the shoes are really tired, yes some loose stitching, the suade just cannot be brought back anymore and my cobber work is well not the best.

View attachment 1540948 View attachment 1540949 View attachment 1540950

I wear these everyday, I do everything around the house in them at this point, so yes they are tired looking.

But my post was to show that Carmina shoes no matter what type are serious quality and built to last many many years.

Remember these have worn threw the original soles and two replacements and are now going into service with the third resole so this is the beginning of number four!!!

Looking back these have started out as after work shoes but have been in everyday use since Sept of 2018, over 2 years of constant everyday abuse not to mentions the previous occasional use before.

They are really by definition abused by me but still standing strong. I am wearing them everyday giving them no rest since these are my only house shoes and well no job so no money to buy another pair at this point.

Again Carmina is quality!

Hope this post finds everyone well.
That's incredible considering most of us don't even wear the same pair in a week, probably more. Here's to finding gainful employment expeditiously :cheers:

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

By Sept of 2018 I switched jobs and was now working from home. At this point these Carmina slip on loafers went into full time service being used everyday all day. Unfortunately all my other shoes stayed in storage as I was not going out of the house very much.

Note my Gate is Underpronation: Also called supination, this gait causes your foot to roll outward with each step, putting more pressure on the outside edge of your foot and small toes. So I wear the outside many times faster where the inside will still look almost new but the outside is gone.

By mid 2019 the heel had worn down in the back outside edge to the point my foot was really rolling and something had to be done.

Remember these are Are Not Goodyear welted they are mostly from what I see glued.

I took them to the local cobber to see what he could do and he said he could cut off the heel and glue on a new one for $25. I picked them up the next week and he did a really good job and the shoes were back in action everyday.

Now move up to the beginning of 2020 and the replacement heel was now worn down to the point of needing replacement and also the sole of the shoe was now also worn down all the way. I was going to take them back to the cobber but covid hit and everything is closed. I was working on airport projects so yup I got laid off too.

Now I am still stuck at home and wearing the worn out Carmina's that are in dire need of repair. I take a good look at them and decided that I think I can peel off the original rubber sole and replace it. So I decided to play cobbler I order up some full size replacement replacement rubber soles from Amazon $12. I buy some 100 year old cobbler tools off ebay and setup in my garage. Note my wife thinks I have gone crazy and wonders if I am now taking up a new profession.

Ok I manage to get the old sole peeled off and I am left with what looks like a flat leather sole. I clean up everything get out the rubber cement and managed to get everything back together. The replacement full soles were crazy big so I used a small saw to cut off most of the excess and then my belt sander to finish them off.

Being my first time they came out good and the Carmina's are back into full time service.

Keep in mind these are glue together shoes so more or less one time use most people would just throw them out after they worn down the first time. I really like the shoe and the body was still in great shape so I knew they had more service left. This is really the second resole so they are really going above and beyond.

Well here we are in 2021 and yet again those soles are worn down and my foot is rolling to the side so again they are in need of a resole. Yes by now these Carmina's are showing their age but I can't retire them yet and still unemployed so I need to save money. I order up another full rubber replacement this time from eBay another $12.

Now the replacement soles have arrived and below you have pics of the rebuilt for the 3rd time Carmina's

I don't want to get to close with the pics as the shoes are really tired, yes some loose stitching, the suade just cannot be brought back anymore and my cobber work is well not the best.

I wear these everyday, I do everything around the house in them at this point, so yes they are tired looking.

But my post was to show that Carmina shoes no matter what type are serious quality and built to last many many years.

Remember these have worn threw the original soles and two replacements and are now going into service with the third resole so this is the beginning of number four!!!

Looking back these have started out as after work shoes but have been in everyday use since Sept of 2018, over 2 years of constant everyday abuse not to mentions the previous occasional use before.

They are really by definition abused by me but still standing strong. I am wearing them everyday giving them no rest since these are my only house shoes and well no job so no money to buy another pair at this point.

First off , best of luck finding employment. It’s a tough time everyone is going through. As long as you have your health, everything else can be fixed.
On the shoes, you’ve done well with them! Any chance of the model number and last?

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I need to do something like this to install metal toe plates. Always forget to ask for them. And around here nobody installs them

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's incredible considering most of us don't even wear the same pair in a week, probably more. Here's to finding gainful employment expeditiously :cheers:

Thank you. When I use to go to work everyday I probably did not wear the same shoe for at least a few weeks unless I wanted to wear the same one that is. But I can't justify wearing my other shoes in the house and the wife would not allow anyways so for now they all sit waiting to go back to work as soon as I go back to work.

First off , best of luck finding employment. It’s a tough time everyone is going through. As long as you have your health, everything else can be fixed.
On the shoes, you’ve done well with them! Any chance of the model number and last?

Thank you and these were actually from the outlet and all that was listed is "MEN'S LOAFERS 80557 BLAKE"
I never could find out what last they were on and I have never seen them for sale again.

I need to do something like this to install metal toe plates. Always forget to ask for them. And around here nobody installs them

My cobbler skills are improving but not sure I could do toe plates. But I have installed sole guards on some of my leather sole shoes with success. Lucky cobbler tools haven't changed much in many years so they are easy to pick up on ebay.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These again:
A78F9CB9-C99F-454D-B40B-B2073122B910.jpeg

Boquoi

Reaction score
Received December 28th, ordered on MTO weekend. Not sure how Carmina counts to 45 but with current events delays are understandable. Also I see the website has now changed to
60 days. Model 80450, size 9 in Rain, brown suede.

View attachment 1528836 View attachment 1528838

The heel on the left shoe doesn't quite sit flat. This is my second pair of GYW shoes so I am not sure if this is a concern? It has not been noticeable walking around the house to wear them in but I have not taking them out yet. It is easy to feel it when standing still.

View attachment 1528839 View attachment 1528840 View attachment 1528841 View attachment 1528842

So the boots have been on a trip to Carmina and back. And the best thing I can say is that they are half "fixed". The heel still has the same issue, it is just less pronounced.

PXL_20210124_103007412.jpg
PXL_20210124_103027162.jpg
PXL_20210124_103037507.jpg

After the fix the heel is still floating. What do you even do at this stage?

thefoobar

Reaction score
I actually received a pair like that - both heels had a 1mm gap. They were a half-price outlet pair and everything else was fine, so I accepted it. The problem went away within 5 wears as the sole conformed to my foot, but I acknowledge that wears 1-3 were annoying underfoot. The heels were also identical, so it's not like I was limping. YMMV, but I think it will go away if you wear them for a week.

Not being fixed after the round trip back to the factory makes you wonder what's going on that both the craftsman and the QC person don't care enough about getting it right.

Boquoi

Reaction score
I actually received a pair like that - both heels had a 1mm gap. They were a half-price outlet pair and everything else was fine, so I accepted it. The problem went away within 5 wears as the sole conformed to my foot, but I acknowledge that wears 1-3 were annoying underfoot. The heels were also identical, so it's not like I was limping. YMMV, but I think it will go away if you wear them for a week.

Not being fixed after the round trip back to the factory makes you wonder what's going on that both the craftsman and the QC person don't care enough about getting it right.

Yeah, I have no idea how the shoe left the factory like that, twice.

This heel gap is still ~2.3mm and it is tilted towards the inside of the shoe. I don't have much confidence that the problem would go away after conforming to my foot.

Betta

Reaction score
So the boots have been on a trip to Carmina and back. And the best thing I can say is that they are half "fixed". The heel still has the same issue, it is just less pronounced.

After the fix the heel is still floating. What do you even do at this stage?
chargeback? paypal?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics