• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wtf! ???
Oh! I bet mine and yours were manufactured at the same time. They’ve probably mixed our hides ???
Mine are a couple of years old, but it does make me wonder if there are particular inconsistencies in their supply of navy suede

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine are a couple of years old, but it does make me wonder if there are particular inconsistencies in their supply of navy suede
These are my third pair of navy suede shoes. The other two were fine. I think it’s just hit and miss. Probably whoever is making them on the day.
By the way, I’ve found that Saphir navy suede spray works a treat on Carmina navy suede. Brings it up lovely.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll try and pick some up. These have seen a lot of wear so probably in need of some pampering!

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll try and pick some up. These have seen a lot of wear so probably in need of some pampering!
I’m pretty sure you’ll be happy with the result. I use the stuff on all my suede shoes. Brings them back to life. Not sure where you’re located but the navy variant can be hard to find. If you struggle , afinepairofshoes has it in navy. Link below

thuhoan

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure you’ll be happy with the result. I use the stuff on all my suede shoes. Brings them back to life. Not sure where you’re located but the navy variant can be hard to find. If you struggle , afinepairofshoes has it in navy. Link below

Interesting. How does one "clean, recolour,, nourish and waterproof" all at the same time.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. How does one "clean, recolour,, nourish and waterproof" all at the same time.
Hi , it’s an all in one spray that’s tinted. If I can’t find a colour match , I use the neutral one. Leaves the suede looking lovely. You brush the shoes first to remove any surface dirt then apply.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I’m in the Uk so that’s ideal, thank you

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Playing devils advocate I’ve only one pair of blue suede (Cheaney chukka) and they seem to have similar spots to yours and I believe (my opinion read as) it’s just an affect of the blue and after a brush it’s back to navy again.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Playing devils advocate I’ve only one pair of blue suede (Cheaney chukka) and they seem to have similar spots to yours and I believe (my opinion read as) it’s just an affect of the blue and after a brush it’s back to navy again.
You’re probably right. I’m going to brush them tomorrow. More annoying is the differing naps. No matter which way you rub your hand against the suede, the different parts don’t match. The front is quite a smooth suede and the back parts rough. Already had to send the previous two orders back because of defects. One pair had a deep dint and the other pair looked like they used a sole that was the next size up. The latter looked quite comical. As the sole looked borrowed from a different pair of shoes ?

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully , the saphir spray will even everything out ?

Elderidge

Reaction score
After all this talk about suede shoes/ boots, another one (I might have gone a bit overboard) of my mto orders just arrived.

These are black suede with black boxcalf strap. This is one of my more subtle orders but it looks stellar on the foot. It came with some scuffing on the suede but i reckon 5 minutes with a suede brush and it'll be perfect, nothing of concern. Not likely going to get much wear as it is hot af in Brisbane, Australia atm.

My returned order sent in August/ September though.... is still stuck in Spanish customs :brick:

IMG_9303.jpg

IMG_9304.jpg

Elderidge

Reaction score
After all this talk about suede shoes/ boots, another one (I might have gone a bit overboard) of my mto orders just arrived.

These are black suede with black boxcalf strap. This is one of my more subtle orders but it looks stellar on the foot. It came with some scuffing on the suede but i reckon 5 minutes with a suede brush and it'll be perfect, nothing of concern. Not likely going to get much wear as it is hot af in Brisbane, Australia atm.

My returned order sent in August/ September though.... is still stuck in Spanish customs :brick:

View attachment 1509925
View attachment 1509926

ok, so after my initial excitement, I noticed a few things that seems a bit odd on my right boot. (I've not had this on any of my other shoes/ boots). Can I get your opinion on whether there is anything structurally problematic with this?

1st - the boot seem to lean a lot. Like I am not expecting it to be straight/ perpendicular to the ground but the seems like it was set incorrectly at an angle.

IMG_9306.jpg

2nd - the heel on my right side seems to rest on a small section on the rear, the front of the heel does not touch the ground at all. You can see in the picture the gap. None of my other (30) shoes/ boots do this. I am not sure if the heel has been incorrectly set or if it is a non-issue.

IMG_9307.jpg

Are these actual issues that warrant attention?

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1509925
View attachment 1509926
ok, so after my initial excitement, I noticed a few things that seems a bit odd on my right boot. (I've not had this on any of my other shoes/ boots). Can I get your opinion on whether there is anything structurally problematic with this?

1st - the boot seem to lean a lot. Like I am not expecting it to be straight/ perpendicular to the ground but the seems like it was set incorrectly at an angle.

View attachment 1509984

2nd - the heel on my right side seems to rest on a small section on the rear, the front of the heel does not touch the ground at all. You can see in the picture the gap. None of my other (30) shoes/ boots do this. I am not sure if the heel has been incorrectly set or if it is a non-issue.

View attachment 1509985

Are these actual issues that warrant attention?
Welcome to the Carmina lottery. ? The heel wouldn’t bother me but the seam at the back most definitely would. It should be pretty perpendicular to the floor. I’ve just re-inspected my order from yesterday and it looks like not only have they used different hides but also , one shoe is slightly lighter than the other. Only really noticeable when the shoes are side by side. I’ll decided to grin and bare it. ??‍♂️?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads