• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rimaarts

Reaction score
How about cordovan (non-wholecut) chelseas? They strike the balance between casual style and elegance. On a rubber sole it is about the most versatile pair in today's ever-lowering level of formality...
I had a Chelseas and while as nice as they were, lack of anything in front of my trousers were a bit jarring... while I’ve had cheaper whole-cut and visible laces was just about enough... but yeah, I’d consider them, just I don’t see them on website, also extra 200£ for most boots I do see is a bit much...

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s exactly why I was asking. A clash of super formal style with casual material. I remember someone posting a while ago that cordovan wholecut were too casual and unlike calf he couldn’t deal with care required keeping them presentable... so I’m asking do they need much more care to keep them nice and shiny compared to calf... and how much more casual would they turn out to be? If calf wholecut is navy worsted trousers than colour 8 cordovan wholecut is...? Grey flannels? Dark olive corduroys?
That’s exactly why I was asking. A clash of super formal style with casual material. I remember someone posting a while ago that cordovan wholecut were too casual and unlike calf he couldn’t deal with care required keeping them presentable... so I’m asking do they need much more care to keep them nice and shiny compared to calf... and how much more casual would they turn out to be? If calf wholecut is navy worsted trousers than colour 8 cordovan wholecut is...? Grey flannels? Dark olive corduroys?
you asked if they could be worn with flannel . I answered yes. It’s not rocket science. Smooth/no pattern is formal and rough/patterned is casual...

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
I had a Chelseas and while as nice as they were, lack of anything in front of my trousers were a bit jarring... while I’ve had cheaper whole-cut and visible laces was just about enough... but yeah, I’d consider them, just I don’t see them on website, also extra 200£ for most boots I do see is a bit much...

in case you need them, i actually still have an MTO fee-waiver code which allows you to have them made up as if they were an RTW style...

Rimaarts

Reaction score
in case you need them, i actually still have an MTO fee-waiver code which allows you to have them made up as if they were an RTW style...
just looked trough mto tool to find out price.. I don't think they do Chelsea... I remember reading a while back people were receiving Chelsea's with v seam on the vamp and carmina were saying they won't do them anymore? too much cracking of shell or something like that! but anyway, 800£ is a bit much for me...

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
just looked trough mto tool to find out price.. I don't think they do Chelsea... I remember reading a while back people were receiving Chelsea's with v seam on the vamp and carmina were saying they won't do them anymore? too much cracking of shell or something like that! but anyway, 800£ is a bit much for me...

they do *non* wholecut - previously

Edit: my bad. it seems that they took the option out

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
so a while back then @Carmina could do wholecut cordovan chelseas, later the option was limited to non-wholecut patterns for boots, and now... :censored:

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
@Carmina CyberMonday sale SUCKS....

I put items in my basket (before 8am EST) from the outlet (extra 20% off) and the CyberMonday sale (25% off). Then when I went to checkout about 20 minutes later it said the items could not be processed and all the prices had changed. What I realized is that Carmina raised all the prices so the discounts are not as good.

Here are examples:

Before 8am
$415.00 Regular MSRP (has been this price for months)
$333.00 Outlet price
$266.40 Outlet price (with 20% discount)
After 8am
$574.75 Current CyberMonday MSRP (I literally watched the price change at about 8amEST)
$402.93 CyberMonday Outlet price
$322.34 CyberMonday Outlet price (with 20% discount)

It is actually more expensive to purchase this shoe today on CyberMonday than it was yesterday or last week.

1606744304817.png

Before 8am EST
$475.00 Regular MSRP (has been this price for months)
$333.00 Outlet price
After 8am EST
$574.75 Current CyberMonday MSRP (I literally watched the price change at about 8amEST)

It is actually more expensive to purchase this shoe today on CyberMonday than it was yesterday or last week.
1606745016767.png

Same with the shoe trees:
Before 8am EST
$90.00 normal MSRP
After 8am EST
$108.90

1606744397814.png

So it is actually more expensive to purchase shoe trees today on CyberMonday than it was yesterday, last week, or several months ago.

How does this make sense? What kind of sale is it if the company raises the MSRP before allowing the discount?

Last edited:

Rimaarts

Reaction score

I put items in my basket (before 8am EST) from the outlet (extra 20% off) and the CyberMonday sale (25% off). Then when I went to checkout about 20 minutes later it said the items could not be processed and all the prices had changed. What I realized is that Carmina raised all the prices so the discounts are not as good.

Here are examples:

Before 8am
$333.00 Outlet Price
After 8am

So, it is actually more expensive to purchase this shoe today on CyberMonday than it was yesterday or last week.

View attachment 1507384

Before 8am EST
$333.00 Outlet Price
After 8am EST

View attachment 1507394

Before 8am EST
$90.00 normal MSRP
After 8am EST
$108.90

View attachment 1507387
So it is actually more expensive to purchase shoe trees today on CyberMonday than it was yesterday, last week, or several months ago.

How does this make sense? What kind of sale is it if the company raises the MSRP before allowing the discount?
haha welcome to "black Friday"! most companies does that!

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
haha welcome to "black Friday"! most companies does that!

In some respects I am angry at myself, I should have just checked out before 8AM EST but my wife asked me to make her breakfast and coffee so I did not get back to the computer until after 8AM EST.

And, at this point in no longer matters because almost all sizes are gone....

Rimaarts

Reaction score

Here are examples:

Before 8am
$333.00 Outlet price
After 8am

View attachment 1507384

Before 8am EST
$333.00 Outlet price
After 8am EST

View attachment 1507394

Before 8am EST
$90.00 normal MSRP
After 8am EST
$108.90

View attachment 1507387

On the other hand... here in London looking at your second example, outlet price is (google conversion) 331$, cyber Monday discount does not apply? ... drooling at my cordovan wholecut... shoes and trees yesterday was a bit below 700£, today still 690... soooo.... not sure what’s going on on your end...

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
On the other hand... here in London looking at your second example, outlet price is (google conversion) 331$, cyber Monday discount does not apply? ... drooling at my cordovan wholecut... shoes and trees yesterday was a bit below 700£, today still 690... soooo.... not sure what’s going on on your end...

The prices keep changing on the US site. And I think the UK site is different.

It does not matter any longer as my size, 8.5UK, is sold out in almost everything on Detroit that works for me.

1606749924055.png

1606750063409.png

Subidoc

Reaction score
A few more pictures and details. I ordered this boot during the rare shell GMTO back in September. Initially I was leaning towards getting another u-tip boot in Amaretto shell, but then came across this "WWII Field Boot" Carmina produced for Epaulet during early to mid 2010s. I'm a sucker for 8 eyelet boots and leather pull-tabs (although I neve use them) and was instantly hooked.

I'd ordered the boot with flat welt similar to original model, and had requested thick double leather soles similar to soles used in boots with storm welt. My instructions must've confused the artisans at the factory, and they ended up adding storm welt. No complaints from me though as the end product is spectacular in my humble opinion. Overall finish is near flawless, similar to my other MTOs. The biggest thing about these boots though is the fact that Carmina allowed me to place what is essentially a single MTO order for a discontinued model. I feel most other makers would've required significant upcharge.

View attachment 1506467 View attachment 1506468 View attachment 1506470 View attachment 1506471

Very handsome pair of shoes. I think the shorter height is interesting. What made you ask for the shorter height boot? My 80450 makeup is 6/3 (holes/hooks). Also, how does it look when you stand upright all laced up? does the leather gape between the 5th and 6th hooks?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads