• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

miamidoc

Reaction score
A teaser picture.... the Green Marble Shell has arrived. More to come...

33FCFAF7-8214-4456-9B5A-9274C3623D8E.jpeg

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this sways you’re thinking. The maker in question made these in olive Shinki and value for money wise damn near unbeatable. These are on JR soles. Sorely tempted by a similar makeup as you suggested as my friend got the brown and it’s beautiful!

View attachment 1483689
Looks great. However, do you have low instep is just how that particular style is?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s so long ago I don’t remember. I doubt it was that low for Cordovan, but I also was getting VAT refunded at Madrid airport. Calf was probably in that low 200s range after VAT refund. I had a project there so was purchasing a pair monthly on each trip.
At those prices I would be too. Have you noticed a change of quality from then to now?

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all, how dare you. There is room for ONE Don Draper picture in this platform, and it ain't you. I'll fight you.
I hadn't realized. :lol:

You're season 1 Don Draper, I'm season 2 Don Draper.

........I really don't know which seasons our Don Drapers are from, I'm just talking out of ******.

I like your avatar btw :wink:

emiratiAL

Reaction score
15 years....
And some ppl are debating hand welted is better than good year welted as the shoes can be resoled more times....
I wonder when will I need to resole my first pair of shoes

One of the reasons I justify to myself buying shoes at $500+ is that I know I'll get 20+ years of wear out of them (at least that's what I tell myself...) so your post goes someway to making me feel better about my purchases!

Out of curiosity though, have your non-Cordovan Carmina shoes held up as well in the intervening years? Or is the longevity attributable primarily to the leather quality?

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
One of the reasons I justify to myself buying shoes at $500+ is that I know I'll get 20+ years of wear out of them (at least that's what I tell myself...) so your post goes someway to making me feel better about my purchases!

Out of curiosity though, have your non-Cordovan Carmina shoes held up as well in the intervening years? Or is the longevity attributable primarily to the leather quality?
You missed one important thing about going 20+ years on shoes. They will likely look great with patina after all that wear as a bonus assuming you've taken care of them.

emiratiAL

Reaction score
Yes, totally agree and great point.

Have you seen the bespoke brogues that Prince Charles has worn for decades? They look better than anything off the shelf. Amazing patina.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads