• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God damn! Those are nice.
Thanks, but I had nothing to do with it. Carmina made them, and then another SF member decided they didn’t like em, so I scooped em up from that member. I do really like them though.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh really, well I guess that means that shell hole I had in my shoe room has been turned around into a doubly filled spot in my shoe room. My Cognac jumpers now fill the Armagnac spot as well ?
View attachment 1482970

View attachment 1482972
I know Carmina replaced Cognac with Armagnac, but IMO they are not the same colors at all.

This is armagnac, nice as it is, not the same color and IMO not as nice as your Cognac

serbarristan

Reaction score
I know Carmina replaced Cognac with Armagnac, but IMO they are not the same colors at all.

This is armagnac, nice as it is, not the same color and IMO not as nice as your Cognac

Seems like red undertones vs. olive undertones, you see the same? I prefer the olive of Armagnac but would be very interested in adding dark cognac to the collection.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could be...my photos are not in natural light, not sure how much of a difference that might make.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could be...my photos are not in natural light, not sure how much of a difference that might make.

I own Armagnac boots from Bonafe, and it's decidedly brown. Lighter than C&J dark cognac, but nevertheless on the darker side of brown with olive undertones. I've also come across lighter Armagnac with red undertones, but think it's rare. Cognac was mid-brown similar to your pair.

Speaking of cognac, another maker is running a pie crust customization event. Normally I wouldn't be interested, but the prospect of a cognac cordovan (shinki shell) boot with pie-crust apron stitch is tempting.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I own Armagnac boots from Bonafe, and it's decidedly brown. Lighter than C&J dark cognac, but nevertheless on the darker side of brown with olive undertones. I've also seen Cognac with red undertones. Cognac was mid-brown similar to your pair.

Speaking of cognac, another maker is running a pie crust customization event. Normally I wouldn't be interested, but the prospect of a cognac cordovan (shinki shell) boot with pie-crust apron stitch is tempting.
If this sways you’re thinking. The maker in question made these in olive Shinki and value for money wise damn near unbeatable. These are on JR soles. Sorely tempted by a similar makeup as you suggested as my friend got the brown and it’s beautiful!

89F7C711-2AAD-4794-84E6-64F53061273E.jpeg

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like red undertones vs. olive undertones, you see the same? I prefer the olive of Armagnac but would be very interested in adding dark cognac to the collection.

Agreed. Personally I find Armagnac a nicer color than dark cognac, but dark cognac can age and evolve to a really nice shade with olive or red undertones.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this sways you’re thinking. The maker in question made these in olive Shinki and value for money wise damn near unbeatable. These are on JR soles. Sorely tempted by a similar makeup as you suggested as my friend got the brown and it’s beautiful!

View attachment 1483689
Love these. This is the standard NST apron stitch. What this maker is now offering is pie-crust stitch, similar to this boot

Other than G&G (Thorpe via MTO) as far as I'm aware no other make offers pie-crust apron stitch in cordovan. EG won't attempt it, and neither will Bonafe per my exchange with Lorenzo a few months back.

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own Armagnac boots from Bonafe, and it's decidedly brown. Lighter than C&J dark cognac, but nevertheless on the darker side of brown with olive undertones. I've also come across lighter Armagnac with red undertones, but think it's rare. Cognac was mid-brown similar to your pair.

Me three, it turns out they are offering exactly what I proposed in one of their surveys I filled out . But as CC knows of my ongoing saga with them, they are so damn unreliable, it gives me pause to dive in yet again :confused:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Me three, it turns out they are offering exactly what I proposed in one of their surveys I filled out . But as CC knows of my ongoing saga with them, they are so damn unreliable, it gives me pause to dive in yet again :confused:

Can someone pls PM me what you are talking about with respect to the pie crust makeup? I have not noticed this proposal and may be interested.

Also, on the armagnac note, my pair are lighter color with red undertones. Ancient pic below... can't seem to find anything more current.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone pls PM me what you are talking about with respect to the pie crust makeup? I have not noticed this proposal and may be interested.

Also, on the armagnac note, my pair are lighter color with red undertones. Ancient pic below... can't seem to find anything more current.

Looks like Journeyman's already DM'ed you.

That's a beautiful shade of Armagnac. I had your pair in mind when I referenced lighter shades of Armagnac with red undertones. You were kind enough share pics next to your dark cognac Harlech in response to my request a while back.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Looks like Journeyman's already DM'ed you.

That's a beautiful shade of Armagnac. I had your pair in mind when I referenced lighter shades of Armagnac with red undertones. You were kind enough share pics next to your dark cognac Harlech in response to my request a while back.

Yep, got the details from @Journeyman and @stephenaf2003... thanks guys.

I completely forgot that I took side by side pics, hah! BTW, I totally agree that the old cognac was a lovely color. I don't have any of that color but it seems different to me than both the lighter and darker armagnac but hard to say given lighting differences, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads