• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I think that I purchased them almost at the same time - just two weeks or a month apart. This was back in 2014, though, so I can't remember precisely.

They were both described as "cognac" so I was quite surprised to see the difference between the two.

I can see why! I do love them though.. the lighter shade looks very special.

PartagasIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Riffing on the lovely natural Calway recently, any other interest in a shell & suede shaft Calway? I'd love to do a GMTO along those lines.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's a great point and I agree completely that the market will be the ultimate arbiter of Carmina's strategy. As an aside, I think it's a novel use of the SF platform, seeing brands get real-time feedback from an exacting group of well informed consumers.

My original point was less about the new last being proposed, and more generally about the abundance of choice on the website, which for me personally is beginning to become a little off-putting. Purely my preference of course.

Yeah I hear ya; one thing perhaps you may want to take into account. Most SF guys have quite a few pairs of shoes. I’d say most SF guys subscribed to this thread even, have quite a few pairs of Carmina’s. Carmina’s engagement is a great way to get those of us that don’t necessarily need, or want another pair, interested in purchasing another pair. Normal people aren’t who they are targeting. SF guys, and our at times seemingly borderline OCD approach to shoes, are no where near atypical.

Last edited:

dsk321

Reaction score
So my suede woes have been resolved, and I opted to keep the robert derbies and return the chukkas.

The last really suits my foot well. Instep is comfortable (almost snug). The heel is nestled in pretty good, forefoot has no pressure against my pinky toe/big toe, and has a tiny bit of wiggle but not loose. I can wear them with or without insoles, which is that magical sweetspot. I wish they made more shoes in this last.

In contrast the rain chukkas felt too generous on the instep (the lacing was nearly kissing and there was way too much open space above the forefoot, but everything else was fine. With pedag insoles it snugged everything very well, though the closeness of the lacing still makes me worry that oxfords will shut completely, as i prefer a slight v for adjustability.

The forest should fit nearly the same as robert correct? Are these two and the oscar the only last that fits like the rain with a lower instep?

Phoenician

Reaction score
Quick last question. When going from Forest to Llubi, does sizing down a half seem to be the norm?

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Does anyone have any pics of the 905 chukkas on a rounded last (e.g Forest)? I'd like to see how it looks on a non chiseled last.

Last edited:

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Yeah I hear ya; one thing perhaps you may want to take into account. Most SF guys have quite a few pairs of shoes. I’d say most SF guys subscribed to this thread even, have quite a few pairs of Carmina’s. Carmina’s engagement is a great way to get those of us that don’t necessarily need, or want another pair, interested in purchasing another pair. Normal people aren’t who they are targeting. SF guys, and our at times seemingly borderline OCD approach to shoes, are no where near atypical.
Think you’ve channelled my conscious thoughts ..
1000 per cent.

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This is how our December GMTO votes are coming along,

1603455953278.png

I'll look into Hatch Grain, Russian Calf and Marble Shell since they look like your preferences.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is how our December GMTO votes are coming along,

View attachment 1482774
I'll look into Hatch Grain, Russian Calf and Marble Shell since they look like your preferences.

In case anyone needs additional motivation , here are examples of Hatchgrain Balways from Bonafe. I have a pair of these in Armagnac, @stephenaf2003 owns a pair of these in green (Horween calls it "old bronze"), and Nishant has Balways in all three colors

I have on my wish list a pair of bourbon hatchgrain balmoral boots, hopefully Carmina will be able to source it

@Carmina Sara would you be able to inquire about availability of willow grain shell cordovan? Here's a picture for reference

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mystery solved, apparently Cognac was renamed to Armagnac a few years ago. Horween still makes dark cognac which is a much darker version just like the pictures @yengli attached.
Oh really, well I guess that means that shell hole I had in my shoe room has been turned around into a doubly filled spot in my shoe room. My Cognac jumpers now fill the Armagnac spot as well ?
D1329011-9449-447A-AA5E-10D6466EE6BD.jpeg

76CBE0F0-D589-46C6-B07D-8E74EF3B7611.jpeg

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick last question. When going from Forest to Llubi, does sizing down a half seem to be the norm?
I don’t, but I’ve got a pretty wide forefoot area, YMMV.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads