• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

miamidoc

Reaction score

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes glazed natural. Last is the Rain EEE :)
Just really a simple and beautiful boot.

@Carmina you all knocked it out of the park with the new model #Calway. Nothing but straight smoke coming out of your factory on the Calway platform. It’s an instant classic.

emiratiAL

Reaction score
Perhaps you are not the only one that believes so, one thing is for sure, Carmina is on the right track by letting the market decide. If there are enough shoe buyers that want a newly proposed last, so be it. If there is not enough interest, the idea disappears. Ultimately, Carmina engaged with their customers is a win for them, but also for us!

Yes, that's a great point and I agree completely that the market will be the ultimate arbiter of Carmina's strategy. As an aside, I think it's a novel use of the SF platform, seeing brands get real-time feedback from an exacting group of well informed consumers.

My original point was less about the new last being proposed, and more generally about the abundance of choice on the website, which for me personally is beginning to become a little off-putting. Purely my preference of course.

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I think another change that might be welcomed is an option for a chunkier flat welt. Good example below from another maker. Currently, Carmina offers a choice between either the closely trimmed and dressy flat welt OR the chunkier storm welt. I suspect a chunkier flat welt would be a desirable option for some of us.

Also, it would be great to have an option to stain/color the welt before the stitching is applied that way it could be possible to have a light colored welt stitching with a darker welt & edge. Currently, the only way to get white stitching is to choose a natural color welt.

View attachment 1481363

We call these sole/ edge/ fudging combinations "fabriaciones" here at the factory. We do offer the single and double as well as the double storm welt. There are some other options available which I could create a mini guide for you.

Although, when saying fabricación so and so with extra fudging or any other mods is when our artisans can make many mistakes. It is a bit difficult to explain without showing you inside the factory but each detail is made by different artisans and different machines and it would require configuration per individual pair.

Edit: Didn´t answer regarding the welt stitching sorry.

The visible stitching you would see in this in minute 2:19.

We will then finish the sole and hand-paint edges. This step would stain both the edge, welt and stitching. Therefore, the contrasting thread is only visible when the edge if left as natural. Hopefully this helps visualise.

1603359477596.png

1603359578207.png

Last edited:

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Oh yeah, one other thing that would be a help would be a gallery of custom makeups that Carmina has done for customers and also, if possible, images of older models or special makeups for retail stores that may be possible to order but aren't on the Customize platform or on the ready-to-wear part of the site.

Some clients do not wish to share the details of their make in order to keep them exclusive.

However, for models etc, we do have them in our sample room and some models have not been in rotation for years. We will be soon working on this although we have drawings rather than actual shoes.

yengli

Reaction score
Any chance I can get the link please?

Leather options from Solegarb for MTO by Enzo Bonafe, mentions dark cognac cordovan as a possible choice. https://solegarb.com/leather-options .

Viberg also has some boots in this color available. https://viberg.com/products/service-boot-dark-cognac-shell-cordovan .

Don't know if this leather supplier is reputable but dark cognac is also listed as available. https://www.aacrack.co.uk/horween-genuine-shell-cordovan-dark-cognac-10-20.html .

wondering how this would patina over time

Attachments

• SB-Dark-Cognac-Shell-j-17_2400x1600.jpg
    SB-Dark-Cognac-Shell-j-17_2400x1600.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 79
  • GG7nVXK.jpg
    GG7nVXK.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 80
  • DMfGsdu.jpg
    DMfGsdu.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 78

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Leather options from Solegarb for MTO by Enzo Bonafe, mentions dark cognac cordovan as a possible choice. https://solegarb.com/leather-options .

Viberg also has some boots in this color available. https://viberg.com/products/service-boot-dark-cognac-shell-cordovan .

Don't know if this leather supplier is reputable but dark cognac is also listed as available. https://www.aacrack.co.uk/horween-genuine-shell-cordovan-dark-cognac-10-20.html .

wondering how this would patina over time

Immediately requesting this! Thank you so much.

I wasn´t even here when Carmina sold Cognac and no expert in the matter, but it looks darker than what we used to offer.

1603363111644.png

1603363200694.png

second picture by @RogerP

yengli

Reaction score

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn´t even here when Carmina sold Cognac and no expert in the matter, but it looks darker than what we used to offer.

About six years ago, I purchased a couple of pairs of "cognac" shell cordovan shoes/boots by Carmina and I was surprised at how different they were. One appeared to be cognac, the other appeared to perhaps be dark cognac.

Plain toe blucher on Detroit last:

Carmina cognac 01.jpg

Punch captoe boots on Oscar last:

Carmina cognac 02.jpg

The bluchers have darkened over time, while the boots have stayed pretty much the same.

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
About six years ago, I purchased a couple of pairs of "cognac" shell cordovan shoes/boots by Carmina and I was surprised at how different they were. One appeared to be cognac, the other appeared to perhaps be dark cognac.

View attachment 1482107

View attachment 1482108

The bluchers have darkened over time, while the boots have stayed pretty much the same.

Did you purchase them years apart or during the same period? they do look very different although Cognac was apparently discontinued due to colour inconsistency.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1482107

View attachment 1482108

The boots look almost armagnac. Although runs of Dark Cognac that come out lighter are basically armagnac

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you purchase them years apart or during the same period? they do look very different although Cognac was apparently discontinued due to colour inconsistency.

I think that I purchased them almost at the same time - just two weeks or a month apart. This was back in 2014, though, so I can't remember precisely.

They were both described as "cognac" so I was quite surprised to see the difference between the two.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads