• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
A new last would be an interesting experiment, but I'm still just modestly hoping for some unglazed shell

To be fair, I am more excited for leather/ model creations than lasts.

I could go down a rather dangerous route given it would imply a complete new fit. I did take note on the feedback regarding a forest EEE - Sineu mash up.

How about a Sineu EE heel and a EEE front?

EUtroll

Reaction score
That would be great. I also think we're not the best bunch for such a project, but I do think that's the only real flaw of the Carmina lasts, i.e. the generally disproportionately large heels.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would be great. I also think we're not the best bunch for such a project, but I do think that's the only real flaw of the Carmina lasts, i.e. the generally disproportionately large heels.
I think large heels is true for a lot of manufacturers. My c&j shoes are worse than Carmina. The sineu last, for me, was a move in the right direction.

zr3rs

Reaction score

I am in this camp. Rain in UK 8.5 is loose in the heel and tight in the toe box (width-wise). Simpson in UK 9, though, is one of my best fitting lasts (if a bit long and pointy), as is C&J 363 in UK 8 (probably nearly perfect) and to some extent Vass F in 42. So a rounder last with a tight heel would be welcome.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We would have to create a new last for this, I'd need to prepare a pitch with the suggestions to ask if possible.
What about the option of fiddleback waist on the soles?

EUtroll

Reaction score
I think large heels is true for a lot of manufacturers. My c&j shoes are worse than Carmina. The sineu last, for me, was a move in the right direction.
A lot of people seems to love the sineu last, but i generally find almond shaped lasts to be less attractive in larger sizes.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks Carmina has enough variety of lasts?

Not only in lasts - which at the latest count was 31 on their website - but also in soles (19), leathers (46) and colours (29). It's a bit overwhelming for the someone without the knowledge that those on SF have, or the customer of a more casual variety.

As someone with a passing interest in their shoes (I own two pairs of Carminas) from the outside looking in I think they would be well served by optimising their line a bit.

Last enough for sure. On the leather side some additions would be great (Utah, hatch grain for example)

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I could go down a rather dangerous route given it would imply a complete new fit. I did take note on the feedback regarding a forest EEE - Sineu mash up.

Sara, good morning. So, you’re proposing a Sineu EE heel (the normal heel for this last) and a Sineu EEE front? That would help, but the reason I thought of blending the Sineu with the ForestEEE front is because the Forest toe is generally more balanced and versatile. It’s a fine round shape that works on every type of shoe and In every occasion. Sineu is a substantially more elongated.

Overall, this new SF last creation is an excellent idea and fantastic way of interacting with your customer base.

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What about the option of fiddleback waist on the soles?
handgrade-7.jpg

I was wondering, when we would get this question. We are planning on adding this sole upgrade..

To be fair it may look a bit different since we are finalising details.

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Well noted, any feedback is always helpful.

A lot of people seems to love the sineu last, but i generally find almond shaped lasts to be less attractive in larger sizes.
Sara, good morning. So, you’re proposing a Sineu EE heel (the normal heel for this last) and a Sineu EEE front? That would help, but the reason I thought of blending the Sineu with the ForestEEE front is because the Forest toe is generally more balanced and versatile. It’s a fine round shape that works on every type of shoe and In every occasion. Sineu is a substantially more elongated.

Overall, this new SF last creation is an excellent idea and fantastic way of interacting with your customer base.

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have requested some samples and really hope I can show you some new additions soon. We would probably have to go down the preordering root though since some of the leathers are hard to source.

Last enough for sure. On the leather side some additions would be great (Utah, hatch grain for example)
Yes, expanding leather offerings gets my vote too.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

I think another change that might be welcomed is an option for a chunkier flat welt. Good example below from another maker. Currently, Carmina offers a choice between either the closely trimmed and dressy flat welt OR the chunkier storm welt. I suspect a chunkier flat welt would be a desirable option for some of us.

Also, it would be great to have an option to stain/color the welt before the stitching is applied that way it could be possible to have a light colored welt stitching with a darker welt & edge. Currently, the only way to get white stitching is to choose a natural color welt.

1603285500271.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads