• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

miamidoc

Reaction score
Just a thought to those who may or may not have tried, but Soller last feels to me a nice balance of tighter heel, width up front with an refined silhouette. They look narrow, but shockingly accommodate my wide forefoot well.
6324B8E1-9F9F-45D2-9C49-9968D5C7561F.jpeg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Just a thought to those who may or may not have tried, but Soller last feels to me a nice balance of tighter heel, width up front with an refined silhouette. They look narrow, but shockingly accommodate my wide forefoot well. View attachment 1480877

I agree with this, although I would say that they are a bit more pointy than oscar and forest. Very workable with a storm welt but with a flat welt they are more dressy looking, in my view, since Carmina tends to trim the welts very closely.

Trakl

Reaction score
Just a thought to those who may or may not have tried, but Soller last feels to me a nice balance of tighter heel, width up front with an refined silhouette. They look narrow, but shockingly accommodate my wide forefoot well. View attachment 1480877
Soller is a great, fairly generous last, but in my opinion wouldn't work e.g. as a monkey boot.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh - THIS is cool. Here's my vote for the "perfect last": Forest EEE shape everywhere (i.e., instep, toe box, ball-width), but with a waist and heel that more closely resemble that on the Sineu last. My input and supporting explanation, for whatever it's worth, written hereunder. * TRIGGER WARNING *

Carmina has a wide range of lasts, but nothing in the wide-but-sophisticated category. We need that. Why? Most of your SF readers/participants are based in the USA. We're not European. We're taller, heavier, broader, chunkier, drink beer, eat steak, wrestled in high school, and our feet have evolved to support that general build. While chisel-toed, narrow, elongated, elf-looking lasts are popular among Euro circles where men mostly look like some sort of half-grown offspring of Timothy Chalamet and Eddie Redmayne, that just doesn't work here. So, where does that leave us in terms of last options?

We need a last that's wide enough to fit our broad feet, but without the chunkiness of the lasts that typically correspond (e.g., literally everything Alden makes, and that's why they're horrible). We need a last that's generous fitting, but not block-box looking (e.g., Llubi and Detroit are atrocious looking, but very comfortable). We need a last that's versatile, meaning that it can adapt to formal and casual scenarios, without compromising on comfort and tailored fitting - a last that's roomy enough to wiggle your toes in, but not voluminous in the arch and heel cup to the point where you feel like it might slip off. Imagine a last that is wide enough where it matters, but tapered in the waist to provide close-fitting arch support and tailored in the heel to provide a secure heel cup.

In my opinion, and after trying on several lasts on more than twenty Carminas that I own and love, an adaptation of the Forest EEE with the tapered waist and closer, more sculpted heel cup of the Sineu last would easily meet the criteria described above. Forest EEE is wide enough and roomy enough to feel like you're wearing sneakers, but the extended width also applies to the waist and heel cup, making both less tailored. If @Carmina could just modify the Forest EEE last to correct the extended volume in the waist and heel cup area, then we're in business. That's what we need (or at least what most Americans need).

Thoughts?

9DA6A7E4-5366-4930-BD75-1FFA35EFEE07.gif

Phoenician

Reaction score
I can't say I agree with these comments on a new last.

Post-COVID, I plan to alter my wardrobe, to include footwear. I'd urge Carmina to adopt a poulaine last. Sure, they were outlawed in London in 1463, but their time has come again. If Carmina opts not to, it's going to throw this whole look off for me. How will I be able to work without my trusty falcon (or likely in my case, pigeon), resting gracefully on my arm. The flowing hair, and the Donald Duck look of shirt-with-no-pants, exudes a professionalism not seen in modern times. While I'm not keen on the bells on the end of the poulaine as shown here, I will say that for my taste, he isn't making use of peacock feathers, which is obviously a fashion faux pas.

That said, I urge us to steer the conversation for a new last back to the poulaine; we'd all be better for it

Falconer.JPG

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Post-COVID, I plan to alter my wardrobe, to include footwear. I'd urge Carmina to adopt a poulaine last. Sure, they were outlawed in London in 1463, but their time has come again. If Carmina opts not to, it's going to throw this whole look off for me. How will I be able to work without my trusty falcon (or likely in my case, pigeon), resting gracefully on my arm. The flowing hair, and the Donald Duck look of shirt-with-no-pants, exudes a professionalism not seen in modern times. While I'm not keen on the bells on the end of the poulaine as shown here, I will say that for my taste, he isn't making use of peacock feathers, which is obviously a fashion faux pas.

That said, I urge us to steer the conversation for a new last back to the poulaine; we'd all be better for it

View attachment 1480961
seems a little stubby

Trakl

Reaction score

View attachment 1480961
Ok, I might have to forget about monkey boots and go for poulaines instead.
poulaine.jpg

Or better yet, Turkish toes with lasted shoe trees.
turkish toe.jpg

Phoenician

Reaction score

View attachment 1480961

Also, I'm not sure if that's a sword on this hip or he needs to see a proctologist and have that removed

Phoenician

Reaction score
Ok, I might have to forget about monkey boots and go for poulaines instead.
View attachment 1480970

Or better yet, Turkish toes with lasted shoe trees.
View attachment 1480982

Funny you should mention that; had an argument with my wife recently. She was claiming the Hagia Sophia is the most iconic thing in Turkey; I was arguing it was their use of lasted shoe trees.

miamidoc

Reaction score
I drew a rough sketch on my phone approximating the feedback posted so far.

Blue line is Forest EEE last. Black is Sineu. Proposed design—Keep the Forest EEE in the middle/vamp. Blend it into the Sineu in the heel cup and toe. I erased the wider Forest EEE blue line around the heel. Perhaps tighten the waist a bit more +/- make a semi spade sole where forest EEE transitions to Sineu heel cup?

Food for thought and discussion.
A3218879-2501-4C3E-9D43-D35363E25192.jpeg

emiratiAL

Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks Carmina has enough variety of lasts?

Not only in lasts - which at the latest count was 31 on their website - but also in soles (19), leathers (46) and colours (29). It's a bit overwhelming for the someone without the knowledge that those on SF have, or the customer of a more casual variety.

As someone with a passing interest in their shoes (I own two pairs of Carminas) from the outside looking in I think they would be well served by optimising their line a bit.

Last edited:

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not only in lasts - which at the latest count was 31 on their website - but also in soles (19), leathers (46) and colours (29). It's a bit overwhelming for the someone without the knowledge that those on SF have, or the customer of a more casual variety.

As someone with a passing interest in their shoes (I own two pairs of Carminas) from the outside looking in I think they would be well served by optimising their line a bit.
1603255415583.gif

goalaso

Reaction score

A new last would be an interesting experiment, but I'm still just modestly hoping for some unglazed shell

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics