• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it is quite a sweeping statement to lump all Europeans into one category when Europe is literally dozens of countries.

But one point that I will not concede is that Americans are fatter.:smarmy:
Again, let's talk about the ACTUAL LAST PROPOSITION, trigger effects aside.

miamidoc

Reaction score
Despite my general “last designed by committee” contrarianism, I would say that a Forest EEE up front and a Forest D in heel would suit my feet well. Perhaps with a little less sprung or sineu-esque looking toe.

miamidoc

Reaction score
Again, let's talk about the ACTUAL LAST PROPOSITION, trigger effects aside.
My latest purchase of Llubi and Detroit boots disagrees respectfully with your aesthetic assessment of them. ?
571E6949-3961-45AE-89E8-FAEABBED8F3F.jpeg

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
somehow this randomly pops up to my browser:

CountryHeight in Centimeters and Feet
Denmark181.4, or 5 feet, 11.5 inches
Germany179.9, or 5 feet, 11 inches
Norway179.7, or 5 feet, 11 inches
France179.7, or 5 feet, 11 inches
Australia179.2, or 5 feet, 10.5 inches
Canada178.1, or 5 feet, 10 inches
U.K.177.5, or 5 feet, 10 inches
U.S.177.1, or 5 feet, 9.5 inches
South Korea174.9, or 5 feet, 9 inches
Brazil173.6, or 5 feet, 8.5 inches
Singapore172.6, or 5 feet, 8 inches
China171.8, or 5 feet, 7.5 inches
Japan170.8, or 5 feet, 7 inches
Kenya169.6, or 5 feet, 7 inches
Mexico169, or 5 feet, 6.5 inches
Sudan166.6, or 5 feet, 5.5 inches
India164.9, or 5 feet, 5 inches
Yemen159.9, or 5 feet, 3 inches

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My latest purchase of Llubi and Detroit boots disagrees respectfully with your aesthetic assessment of them. ?
View attachment 1480781
I remember when you posted these and thought they were Forest last. Then read they were on the Llubi and I too think they look great.

:lol: I'm happy to be well above the Mexican average. :lol:

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wtf! Yemen is inhabited by umpa lumpas ???

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Wtf! Yemen is inhabited by umpa lumpas ???

I suspect this is highly correlated with poverty / nutrition levels. Yemen is a very poor country.

To be clear, I am sure there is also a genetic element.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect this is highly correlated with poverty / nutrition levels. Yemen is a very poor country.

To be clear, I am sure there is also a genetic element.
Yep. Ageee.

goalaso

Reaction score
Maybe closer fitting heel too.
I didn't suggest a new last since I didn't even think that possible, but otherwise I'd agree with each of the comments so far:
-a closer fitting heel than Llubi
-more toe room than Oscar, but not as wide or chunky as Llubi
-keep the round toe
-if the way to combine the above 3 is to make it somewhat asymmetrical and slightly more "orthopedic" without sacrificing aesthetics too much (as I think Viberg 2020 last manages to do, even if Alden's Modified doesn't), then I'm OK with that, as it feels like it would address the "American" gap in Carmina lasts. I'm always told that Detroit is that last, but it doesn't seem so aesthetically for SF. To simplify, something like Oscar in the back, Llubi space in the front would be great. Might be an impossible task

serbarristan

Reaction score
Oh - THIS is cool. Here's my vote for the "perfect last": Forest EEE shape everywhere (i.e., instep, toe box, ball-width), but with a waist and heel that more closely resemble that on the Sineu last. My input and supporting explanation, for whatever it's worth, written hereunder. * TRIGGER WARNING *

Carmina has a wide range of lasts, but nothing in the wide-but-sophisticated category. We need that. Why? Most of your SF readers/participants are based in the USA. We're not European. We're taller, heavier, broader, chunkier, drink beer, eat steak, wrestled in high school, and our feet have evolved to support that general build. While chisel-toed, narrow, elongated, elf-looking lasts are popular among Euro circles where men mostly look like some sort of half-grown offspring of Timothy Chalamet and Eddie Redmayne, that just doesn't work here. So, where does that leave us in terms of last options?

We need a last that's wide enough to fit our broad feet, but without the chunkiness of the lasts that typically correspond (e.g., literally everything Alden makes, and that's why they're horrible). We need a last that's generous fitting, but not block-box looking (e.g., Llubi and Detroit are atrocious looking, but very comfortable). We need a last that's versatile, meaning that it can adapt to formal and casual scenarios, without compromising on comfort and tailored fitting - a last that's roomy enough to wiggle your toes in, but not voluminous in the arch and heel cup to the point where you feel like it might slip off. Imagine a last that is wide enough where it matters, but tapered in the waist to provide close-fitting arch support and tailored in the heel to provide a secure heel cup.

In my opinion, and after trying on several lasts on more than twenty Carminas that I own and love, an adaptation of the Forest EEE with the tapered waist and closer, more sculpted heel cup of the Sineu last would easily meet the criteria described above. Forest EEE is wide enough and roomy enough to feel like you're wearing sneakers, but the extended width also applies to the waist and heel cup, making both less tailored. If @Carmina could just modify the Forest EEE last to correct the extended volume in the waist and heel cup area, then we're in business. That's what we need (or at least what most Americans need).

Thoughts?
So business in the back, party in the front, if you will? I think you're on to something. I have a low instep, but the Sineu seems to make that a nonissue with the waist and grippy heel cup. It would be nice to have the toe room with some added refinement.

Trakl

Reaction score
From what I understood, something chunkier than the llubí last?
Personally, I would love the option of a chunkier, wider last than Llubi, for really sturdy and military type boots, as in my opinion that is where there is a gap in the Carmina last selection.
Here are two examples of chunky boots built on the same extra wide (in the forepart) last.
173 NST.jpg
173 monkey boot.jpg

At the same time I second the opinion that the heel and waist should be kept tight, and not at all as wide as they generally are on the EEE width lasts.
So basically I would like to see what could be called a combination last, with a lot of toe space, but with a narrow heel and waist.

Also, whatever happened to the New York and Tebas lasts?

Last edited:

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So business in the back, party in the front, if you will? I think you're on to something. I have a low instep, but the Sineu seems to make that a nonissue with the waist and grippy heel cup. It would be nice to have the toe room with some added refinement.
Exactly.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would love the option of a chunkier, wider last than Llubi, for really sturdy and military type boots, as in my opinion that is where there is a gap in the Carmina last selection.
Here are two examples of chunky boots built on the same extra wide (in the forepart) last.
View attachment 1480837 View attachment 1480838
At the same time I second the opinion that the heel and waist should be kept tight, and not at all as wide as they generally are on the EEE width lasts.
So basically I would like to see what could be called a combination last, with a lot of toe space, but with a narrow heel and waist.

Also, whatever happened to the New York and Tebas lasts?
Oh! Monkey boots. Would be good if @Carmina offered monkey boots.

goalaso

Reaction score
I think everyone is echoing the business in back, party in front aesthetic, or more of a combination last as @Trakl put it, with a wide and comfortable forefoot but a more narrow heel. Whatever the specific last reference is for this idea (Forest, Llubi, Oscar, Sineu), this feels like the general idea I think

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Whoever thought organising a new last on THIS sub needs help, serious help!
That said, good luck and I await with enthusiasm the outcome of this (which looks to favour my foot type..) and the proposed mto.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads