• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, and the “watchers” banned me for two weeks. Why do you think I’m warning you (and others).
Lol, sorry to here that.

Always Watching GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

boyoi

Reaction score
I may be a little late to the party but does anyone have more info on the Amaretto Shell Chelsea GMTO - if it's still open!

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may be a little late to the party but does anyone have more info on the Amaretto Shell Chelsea GMTO - if it's still open!
Details here

PGS

Reaction score
First time posting here (hello!). I’m considering getting in on the shell Chelsea GMTO. I own a few pairs of Carmina but no Chelsea boots, so before I risk plunging in, I’d be grateful for some sizing suggestions.

TTS I’m a 10.5 D US/9.5 UK, though my feet are slightly narrower than a true D width. Every Carmina I’ve worn has been 9.5:
  • Oscar derby fits well.
  • Rain is great toward the front of the shoe but the heel is bigger than I’d like. The heel size has been tolerable in a shell Oxford, but I’ve had to use tongue pads in a suede single monk.
  • Sineu loafer is near perfect toward the front but too much heel slip in back (maybe I should have sized down for a loafer). Again, tongue pads have helped.
  • I don’t yet own Forest but have tried boots on in that last and they fit well.
I also wear Allen Edmonds 65 last in US 10.5 D very comfortably. Snug in a good way, with no pinching anywhere, and just the right amount of gap at the lacing.

Based on my AE sizing and the fact that my Carmina experience has seemed to err on the side of too big rather than too little, I’m wondering if the Simpson last in my usual 9.5 (not sizing up the half-size that many take in that last) would be a good choice for the shell Chelsea. Some earlier posts in this thread (mainly @jet-stream 's wisdom) have me thinking that it would be a good match.

miamidoc

Reaction score
First time posting here (hello!). I’m considering getting in on the shell Chelsea GMTO. I own a few pairs of Carmina but no Chelsea boots, so before I risk plunging in, I’d be grateful for some sizing suggestions.

TTS I’m a 10.5 D US/9.5 UK, though my feet are slightly narrower than a true D width. Every Carmina I’ve worn has been 9.5:
  • Oscar derby fits well.
  • Rain is great toward the front of the shoe but the heel is bigger than I’d like. The heel size has been tolerable in a shell Oxford, but I’ve had to use tongue pads in a suede single monk.
  • Sineu loafer is near perfect toward the front but too much heel slip in back (maybe I should have sized down for a loafer). Again, tongue pads have helped.
  • I don’t yet own Forest but have tried boots on in that last and they fit well.
I also wear Allen Edmonds 65 last in US 10.5 D very comfortably. Snug in a good way, with no pinching anywhere, and just the right amount of gap at the lacing.

Based on my AE sizing and the fact that my Carmina experience has seemed to err on the side of too big rather than too little, I’m wondering if the Simpson last in my usual 9.5 (not sizing up the half-size that many take in that last) would be a good choice for the shell Chelsea. Some earlier posts in this thread (mainly @jet-stream 's wisdom) have me thinking that it would be a good match.
Welcome! I like your line of thinking regarding sizing. Probably a wise choice on Simpson. However as Carmina goes, they recommend to never try a new last/size in a MTO. Perhaps you could get into the MTO and get a trial pair to confirm sizing and adjust if needed. Sara @Carmina might be able to help.

thefoobar

Reaction score

Based on my AE sizing and the fact that my Carmina experience has seemed to err on the side of too big rather than too little, I’m wondering if the Simpson last in my usual 9.5...
Yeah. Simpson 9.5UK.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

• Oscar derby fits well.

Simpson 9.5 seems good since cordovan is lasted looser, but I have not tried Simpson.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

• Oscar derby fits well.

You have clearly already seen my inputs, but jet’s perspective:
1. I don’t recommend doing an MTO with a last you have never tried
2. If you must do an MTO with a last you have never tried, and are 10.5D on the AE 65, 9.5 UK on Simpson is about the safest bet you could make.

emptym

Reaction score
Yes, and the “watchers” banned me for two weeks. Why do you think I’m warning you (and others).
Just one. But go ahead and keep saying two. Helps with the reign of terror.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 10.11.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 10.11.28 PM.png
    284.1 KB · Views: 136

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads