• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CrashBurner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have pictures of any chelsea model on Detroit EEE? I've been interested in getting a chelsea boot but the lack of extra wide widths, or if available were unaesthetic, has kept me from doing so. TIA.
I guess it’s a matter of taste. I had a pair of Chelsea boots on the Detroit last and found them slightly bulky for the aesthetic of that particular style of boot. It kind of reminds me of seeing a pair of EG Newmarket boots on a rounder-toed last (202?) compared to the more almond 82 last - the former just didn’t seem to work.
You can order the Chelsea in the Rain EEE I believe, but I’d suggest getting some fitting advice prior to pulling the pin. Also please note, @Carmina suggests not to try a new last on a MTO/GMTO due to the return policy.
Hope this helps.

DrGearTronic

Reaction score
Very well done. I too have stripped and dyed a pair of mine recently. Those turned out nicely. What dye did you use?
Thanks! Used Fiebings leather dye, “Moccasin Brown.”
Process:
1. Stripped whole shoe 100% acetone and cotton balls
2. Applied 3 layers of dye (I used Fiebing’s Moccasin Brown) to whole shoe, including welt, edge of sole, and heel stack; all applied with cotton applicator.
3. Let to dry for 5-10 minutes
4. Apply 1 layer of Saphir renovateur to entire shoe. Let to dry for 5 minutes. Brush with horse hair brush.
5. Apply 2 layers of Saphir Medaille D’or cream polish, I used color “Havano”. Don’t cake it on. A little goes a long way! Let to dry for 5 minutes. Brush off with horse hair brush.
6. Apply 1-2 layers of Saphir Medaille D’or Pate Deluxe hard wax to whole shoe. Wait 5 minutes. Brush off with horse hair brush. Go hack over with polishing rag, torn off piece of old bedsheet, t-shirt, or whatever.
7. Apply 2 layers Saphir Mirror gloss to toe caps. Proceed to mirror shine.

miamidoc

Reaction score
Thanks! Used Fiebings leather dye, “Moccasin Brown.”
Process:
1. Stripped whole shoe 100% acetone and cotton balls
2. Applied 3 layers of dye (I used Fiebing’s Moccasin Brown) to whole shoe, including welt, edge of sole, and heel stack; all applied with cotton applicator.
3. Let to dry for 5-10 minutes
4. Apply 1 layer of Saphir renovateur to entire shoe. Let to dry for 5 minutes. Brush with horse hair brush.
5. Apply 2 layers of Saphir Medaille D’or cream polish, I used color “Havano”. Don’t cake it on. A little goes a long way! Let to dry for 5 minutes. Brush off with horse hair brush.
6. Apply 1-2 layers of Saphir Medaille D’or Pate Deluxe hard wax to whole shoe. Wait 5 minutes. Brush off with horse hair brush. Go hack over with polishing rag, torn off piece of old bedsheet, t-shirt, or whatever.
7. Apply 2 layers Saphir Mirror gloss to toe caps. Proceed to mirror shine.
That’s so great!!!! Nice work. I too did moccasin brown. And used Havana brown creme. Similar process. Mine were originally “natural kavat” which on the Carmina page was a light brown ish color. But they were ORANGE. They came out with a sort of “gold museum” effect which I think looks good. Toughest part was keeping the natural edge clean.

before:
A21D1439-A500-4D2B-A3B6-07E0EC8D35EC.jpeg

After
124E1A18-07C9-4758-8857-9F832F1BB738.jpeg

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good morning!

As you may know, there have been many requests for vegetable tanned and chrome-free leathers as well as more sustainable leather options in the past few years.

We have been developing a new range of products with ecofriendly leathers and we will soon receive some samples for chrome-free leathers and lining.

We would be very interested in knowing your opinion and possible interests. Please leave your feedback and vote for the colours you would like here.

As a brief disclaimer, we are slowly trying to incorporate more sustainable options for the clients interested in this type of product. It is a difficult journey but these are our first actions towards products that are friendlier with our planet..
I‘ll definitely follow this development very closely, veg tan....yes please!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I did some non-scientific shoe science. See the bellow imgur gallery for comparisons between Soller, Detroit, Oscar, Simpson, 341, Plaza, 2030, 511, and 202 lasts. These photos were taken against the raised edge of a sliding glass door in an effort to align the shoes for accurate-ish length measurements.

Unfortunately, I screwed up a couple of them as noted in the comments on the affected images. Width measurements are inherently imprecise and frankly somewhat useless but I made an effort to align the shoe on the right with the 1" marker and the shoe on the left with the 6" marker (the first couple were a bit off here as well).

Make if it what you will, I'm not sure it is all that useful. I hoped to include a few more lasts in this but ran out of time... if I take more I will add to the gallery and repost.

Excellent post.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
@stook1

was doing a search and noticed these stunners. Love the look. I think you mentioned these are on Soller last, but what color shell is this? In the sun it looks natural but could be amaretto?

Thanks, I do really like those boots still. They are the same pair featured in most of the pics in the gallery of measurements that I posted yesterday. They look maybe a little darker generally but the main difference is indoors vs. outdoors. These are natural shell cordovan on the soller last. The detroit cap toe jumpers in the same gallery are Amaretto, by the way. Love those too but they are due for some cleaning up just from regular wear and tear.

Here is a more recent pic of the nsts outside.

6U6A3545b.JPG

Last edited:

Baked Potato

Reaction score
After several years of stupid continuous wear of tight shoes, I'm unable to wear shoes that are in any way or form too snug without any discomfort. Therefore I'm having a hard time wearing my favorite model of tassel loafers - C&J:s Cavendish. I've seen that Carmina makes makes two models on their website (80367 and 734). If anyone owns these two models, would you guys say that they look similar to Cavendish (also which one is closer in style)?

Also, a size inquiry: I've recently bought a pair of suede oxfords on the Forest last in UK8.5. They're a bit snug around the big toe. Should I go with UK8.5 in a wider option (which Forest is available in)? Would it be snug enough for a loafer? I don't have any place near me with wide sized Carminas and I don't want to make a custom order and having the loafers too loose.

Thanks!

CrashBurner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s so great!!!! Nice work. I too did moccasin brown. And used Havana brown creme. Similar process. Mine were originally “natural kavat” which on the Carmina page was a light brown ish color. But they were ORANGE. They came out with a sort of “gold museum” effect which I think looks good. Toughest part was keeping the natural edge clean.

before:
View attachment 1459462
After
View attachment 1459461
Yup - that is an absolute biatch to do but you seem to have pulled it off very well. I’ve only dyed boots and shoes with a Barbour welt and there’s always a minute amount of bleed into the crease(?). Sublime job.

miamidoc

Reaction score
Yup - that is an absolute biatch to do but you seem to have pulled it off very well. I’ve only dyed boots and shoes with a Barbour welt and there’s always a minute amount of bleed into the crease(?). Sublime job.
Thank you. Time and a small flat brush with the full strength dye so I didn’t have to do multiple coats like the diluted dye used on the rest of the upper. Blended surprisingly well.

I also used a q tip and acetone to clean the welt after. Worked really well and I’m going to make that part of my maintenance routine for my natural welts from now on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics