• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berto1

Reaction score

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Reason number 5,358 why Alden ******* blows. I love how they act like they're ******* Rolex or Patek, siphoning off "rare" (READ: bourbon shell that literally everyone else offers stock) to people that chug that mediocre cool aid. It's hilarious.

Alden doesn't even use bourbon shell. Funny how you'll defend Rolex for artificially creating demand with stainless steel sport watches when there's nothing intrinsically rare about it and Alden's rare shell was rare before Rolex even started their BS

Last edited:

ErPupone4

Reaction score
View attachment 1421530

unlined Sineu lasted chukka in bourbon grain shell and natural shell rear quarters. Absolute heaven on your feet, especially in 90*+ weather.
View attachment 1421531 View attachment 1421532 View attachment 1421533
Obviously this last pic wasn’t exactly timed perfectly ?
Love these chukkas. Makes me REALLY want my Kirby GMTO chukkas. Has anyone heard any updates on these? @hangerproject told me during the first week of June that they were slated to be done that week and ship to them shortly after. I know this has been discussed in the past, but I just want an update...

Hope everyone has a good Friday. Let's keep the Alden vs. Carmina shell debate civil ;)

lcdx22

Reaction score
Yeah. Reason number 5,358 why Alden ******* blows. I love how they act like they're ******* Rolex or Patek, siphoning off "rare" (READ: bourbon shell that literally everyone else offers stock) to people that chug that mediocre cool aid. It's hilarious.
Alden doesn't even use bourbon shell. Funny how you'll defend Rolex for artificially creating demand with stainless steel sport watches when there's nothing intrinsically rare about it and Alden's rare shell was rare before Rolex even started their BS
bourbon shell - the poor man's whiskey shell

tenor (1).gif

fernando526

Reaction score
bourbon shell - the poor man's whiskey shell

I actually prefer the burnished look of bourbon shell over whisky shell. I have two C&Js - Whisky Harlech and Whisky Pembrokes, and I slightly favor my Bourbon Carminas ?

Get out of town with that “poor man” nonsense! I don’t have a budget when buying shoes haha jk!
Only get the best available... no need to wait for BS Alden wait lists either.

Attachments

• 90FF056B-1F40-4303-9EBA-00E517F345E9.jpeg
    90FF056B-1F40-4303-9EBA-00E517F345E9.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 9A6C6264-7C1A-479E-8C87-08C468D09708.jpeg
    9A6C6264-7C1A-479E-8C87-08C468D09708.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 87

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok - fair enough. Allow me to clarify a few points:

1) Alden's "rare" shell isn't rare; and
2) Rolex woke up one day and said, "hey - we're the best pound-for-pound watch maker in the world and people love our stainless line-up. Let's artificially create a supply-vs-demand crisis and raise our overall market value and share." Why? Because they can and it's Rolex. Alden doing it is akin to Tissot suddenly implementing a similar strategy. They can - sure, but it's dumb because they suck.

I hope that clarifies things.

fernando526

Reaction score

2) Rolex woke up one day and said, "hey - we're the best pound-for-pound watch maker in the world and people love our stainless line-up. Let's artificially create a supply-vs-demand crisis and raise our overall market value and share." Why? Because they can and it's Rolex. Alden doing it is akin to Tissot suddenly implementing a similar strategy. They can - sure, but it's dumb because they suck.

LOL! That’s a good one haha.

I love my Alden shell cordovan shoes for that “Made in America” stamp, but the reality of things is that they’re indeed inferior to other European brands, let alone labeling cigar and whiskey as “rare” shell is just nonsense. I don’t want to infuriate any Alden owners as I own more Alden shell cordovan than anything else, so I am just sharing my experience as an owner and comparing Alden to its competitors. I can not justify waiting around when there are other brands that can make me any color of shell whenever I want and when I am ready to pay.

None of that “poor man” BS... I rather get my shoes right away, made by a better shoe maker, than waiting 2-5 years for a trivial, artificially-created scarcity, “rare shell” wait list. Just my two cents.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LOL! That’s a good one haha.

I love my Alden shell cordovan shoes for that “Made in America” stamp, but the reality of things is that they’re indeed inferior to other European brands, let alone labeling cigar and whiskey as “rare” shell is just nonsense. I don’t want to infuriate any Alden owners as I own more Alden shell cordovan than anything else, so I am just sharing my experience as an owner and comparing Alden to its competitors. I can not justify waiting around when there are other brands that can make me any color of shell whenever I want and when I am ready to pay.

None of that “poor man” BS... I rather get my shoes right away, made by a better shoe maker, than waiting 2-5 years for a trivial, artificially-created scarcity, “rare shell” wait list. Just my two cents.
All shell becomes medium brown with a lot of wear anyway, so why bother even picking colors?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I have been away from this thread for just one day and here we have an exact rehash of the Alden telenovela episode from last month.
I wonder if they are taking place around the 10th of each month. Does anyone know?

In fairness, I feel we're in a similar situation to sports announcers who have nothing to talk about. What are we supposed to do with ourselves locked at home buying more shoes we can't wear?

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it's a stretch to say that Rolex is the best pound for pound watchmaker in the world. I really like Rolex but their biggest strength is without a doubt their brand recognition. Ask anyone to name a high end watch brand and 99% of them will say Rolex. As far as the watches themselves go, are they really pound for pound better than Lange, Grand Seiko or even Tudor? What they ultimately did was leveraged that brand recognition they already had to try to build more brand cachet through an artificial scarcity.

It's kind of ridiculous to say Alden is Tissot when both Alden and Carmina use the exact same shell supplier and use the same construction method. Slightly more elegant lasts (a design choice Carmina made) and closed channels on the soles don't turn a Tissot into a Rolex. If we're using a watch analogy, they'd have the same in-house movement and be made out of the same Oystersteel but one would have a more elegant dial and no bracelet holes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads