• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goofy

Reaction score
I missed this the first time I watched the Carmina video with Kirby Allison. I re-watched today and I am now confused. The Carmina manager talks about more volume with the Cordovan shoes (not stretched as tight on the last) but then appears to bring Kirby a larger size to try on, to which KA comments about how much roomier it is.

I have a Cordovan 8EEE on Forest that is too long and too wide, a calf 7.5EEE on Detroit that is too narrow, but perfect length. and a calf 8EEE on Rain that is a good width, but too long.

I am wondering if the Cordovan 7.5EEE would be roomier than the same shoe on calf?

The Carmina manager in the KA video also mentions about making certain lasts wider or with larger insteps by adding leather before they stretch the upper on the last. Has anyone tried this through the online MTO program? Or Can you request a 7.5 length width a 8 width?

Any help would be appreciated.
I just re-watched the YouTube video and the Carmina store manager brings Kirby his usual size in calf leather, a 9.5 US, which equates to 8.5 UK, and subsequently explains that downsizing to a UK size 8 would probably fit him better given the roomier construction of cordovan shoes. However this depends on the particular model. For example, for wholecuts downsizing half a size wouldn’t be uncommon.
Perhaps the reason why the store manger brought Kirby a size 9 in Cordovan was because they were out of 8,5?
Start watching from 14:20.

Last edited:

nzahir

Reaction score
Anyone know where to purchase Carmina shoes in Los Angeles?

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Plain toe derbys

gianm

Reaction score
Does anyone own loafers on the Forest and Uetam lasts? Would you be willing to post a top down comparison? I'm trying to decide between the two for my next pair.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been on the hunt for comfortable, GYW, elegant looking summer shoes. Carmina’s sale led me to this (see below). At $280, what did I have to lose? Well, these are now officially my most comfortable pair of shoes. That’s hard because I didn’t think anything would top my unlined XIM suede loafers. The Maestral loafer last is sublime. No heel slippage. Rounded toe shape bordering on the almond side. Regular instep, but with the open, functional pacing you can make adjustments, as opposed to a classic penny loafer.

The real star of the show, however, is this “soft & hard” construction. I remember when @Carmina first released this. I didn’t think much of it. Now that I have them on, holy moly... they feel like sneakers. The shoes are incredibly flexible and, above all, feel way more cushioned and padded underfoot than any other shoe I’ve owned (except for maybe some Bontoni models on the gumlite sole). I’m very pleasantly surprised.

@Carmina, can we customize any model using the soft-hard construction method?
7CB9539D-CC53-4FA4-B776-86FFBA52C389.jpeg
09314D4A-2812-430D-8040-998DCB9B068C.jpeg
C3A1A788-7F86-48B6-82DD-24EFF5E94B77.jpeg

ED682986-8230-467A-9FB4-630D39C4D4E4.jpeg
3E7FE71D-1761-4A80-9573-138F7C69E22B.jpeg

harlequin782

Reaction score
I have been on the hunt for comfortable, GYW, elegant looking summer shoes. Carmina’s sale led me to this (see below). At $280, what did I have to lose? Well, these are now officially my most comfortable pair of shoes. That’s hard because I didn’t think anything would top my unlined XIM suede loafers. The Maestral loafer last is sublime. No heel slippage. Rounded toe shape bordering on the almond side. Regular instep, but with the open, functional pacing you can make adjustments, as opposed to a classic penny loafer.

The real star of the show, however, is this “soft & hard” construction. I remember when @Carmina first released this. I didn’t think much of it. Now that I have them on, holy moly... they feel like sneakers. The shoes are incredibly flexible and, above all, feel way more cushioned and padded underfoot than any other shoe I’ve owned (except for maybe some Bontoni models on the gumlite sole). I’m very pleasantly surprised.

View attachment 1415269 View attachment 1415270 View attachment 1415271
View attachment 1415272 View attachment 1415274

??

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Below is quite an interesting article. I had no idea Carnina had switched to plastic heel stiffeners. Can’t say it’s something that’s bothered me.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1415269 View attachment 1415270 View attachment 1415271
View attachment 1415272 View attachment 1415274
Did you went with your usual size in Mestral last?

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Below is quite an interesting article. I had no idea Carnina had switched to plastic heel stiffeners. Can’t say it’s something that’s bothered me.

I don't know if this is true. A few months ago, Trent & Heath did a youtube video where they dissected a brand new pair of wholecuts. They had full leather heel stiffeners. Also, I wouldn't trust anything Simon Krimpton says. He's a ******* tool.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is true. A few months ago, Trent & Heath did a youtube video where they dissected a brand new pair of wholecuts. They had full leather heel stiffeners. Also, I wouldn't trust anything Simon Krimpton says. He's a ******* tool.
I think the whole leather / plastic thing is overplayed. If c&j are leather and carmina are plastic, for me there is no difference. I have both brands.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
No wear on the new boots @George Red ? Is it warm over yonder (hence newer treads..)?
Planning on giving mine a run out tomorrow, see how the victory wears all day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads