• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At a minimum you should be refunded the cost of the JR upcharge ($65 IIRC).

Is that actually a chestnut edge? Seems dark to me.
JR surchange is actually $40 without customisation discount. $31 after 22% discount. Could be cheaper in EU and other markets. It's disappointing the wrong sole was used, but should be simple enough for Carmina to refund the price difference. DHL charged me import duties on my first MTO. I contacted Carmina and received refund within 2 days.

yengli

Reaction score
Finally, I think I got my first-ever Carmina manufacturing mistake.....

I ordered JR Sole (as I always do for Shell), but got what seems to be regular leather sole. And I only noticed this after the first wear, so the soles are already damaged :-(

This is, of course, disappointing ... but maybe I'd just ask for partial refund. The regular leather soles should still last a long time consider the size of my rotation. (Though .... I really like this pair ... so I might wear it more often then others and would make it worn out faster).

I contacted Carmina and waiting for the answer, but I think I'd be sharing this with you as well.

View attachment 1393039

View attachment 1393041

Go for a free resole, much more favorable!

dave_rawitat

Reaction score
Well, let say I’m pretty realistic on this and is expecting a refund or at most maybe a code for little discount for next purchase (well, very very unlikely, but one can hope, haha).

Whatever it is, I’m sure they will try their best and I’ll be satisfy with it.

IMHO, Carmina leather sole isn’t that bad. Sure it isn’t JR but I have yet to worn one out.

(Given size of my rotation, I doubt I would ever will ... I think they would last a long time).

Just wanted to share this story with you :)

Last edited:

Daraven

Reaction score
Just received a recent MTO order from Carmina (actually my wife's) which seems to have rather glaring quality issues. I have reached out to Carmina but just for my own peace of mind, it's not unreasonable to complain about these, right?

carmina 1 (1).jpg
carmina2 (1).jpg
carmina3 (1).jpg
carmina4 (1).jpg
carmina5 (1).jpg

The Sandman

Reaction score
Just received a recent MTO order from Carmina (actually my wife's) which seems to have rather glaring quality issues. I have reached out to Carmina but just for my own peace of mind, it's not unreasonable to complain about these, right?
Any one of those would probably be forgivable, but when you see multiples like that...

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
The only thing I would have seen right away is probably the wrinkling on the back. That's probably a section of leather that came from the belly, which manufacturers will either cut around or place in an inconspicuous part of the shoe, such as the heel. All the other bits are not visible from a standing position even if you go looking, and are inherent to anything made by hand from natural materials. Carmina is special to me in that they make women's shoes just like they make men's; if you want the overly flawless look...take your pick: there are thousands of options for ladies, from $50 - $5000 a pop, and most of them are plasticky crap that will fall apart at the least convenient time. Romance of handcraft aside, have her wear them once and go to work or walk around town or whatever; when she takes them off at the end of they day, they'll probably be covered with several more dings and dents like these, and then everything will just blend together.

All that said, the real question is, is your wife a nerd like us? If not, maybe see if she cares or even notices, and then go from there?

Daraven

Reaction score
The only thing I would have seen right away is probably the wrinkling on the back. That's probably a section of leather that came from the belly, which manufacturers will either cut around or place in an inconspicuous part of the shoe, such as the heel. All the other bits are not visible from a standing position even if you go looking, and are inherent to anything made by hand from natural materials. Carmina is special to me in that they make women's shoes just like they make men's; if you want the overly flawless look...take your pick: there are thousands of options for ladies, from $50 - $5000 a pop, and most of them are plasticky crap that will fall apart at the least convenient time. Romance of handcraft aside, have her wear them once and go to work or walk around town or whatever; when she takes them off at the end of they day, they'll probably be covered with several more dings and dents like these, and then everything will just blend together.

All that said, the real question is, is your wife a nerd like us? If not, maybe see if she cares or even notices, and then go from there?
I mean the one thing that is definitely noticeable even when worn are all the grey guidelines they drew on the leather presumably to aid in construction. Anybody got any tips on how to get rid of them?

Blastwice

Reaction score
I mean the one thing that is definitely noticeable even when worn are all the grey guidelines they drew on the leather presumably to aid in construction. Anybody got any tips on how to get rid of them?

These lines are not going to be noticible when the shoes are worn. None of these "issues" will in my opinion.

George Mason

Reaction score
These shoes have an abundance of flaws. I would be embarrassed if I purchased these for my wife, who just looked at your pictures and said that she would never wear them. Please, return them to Carmina, and ignore the people who seem to think that these are not flaws, or are not noticeable. Such blind brand loyalty often results in cognitive dissonance.

It is possible to love the brand but hate the shoes, if they're loaded with defects, as these are. You and your wife can still love Carmina - just not these very flawed shoes!

Ken McGregor

Reaction score
Please, return them to Carmina, and ignore the people who seem to think that these are not flaws, or are not noticeable. Such blind brand loyalty often results in cognitive dissonance.
George is right, these shoes are bad news, and should not be tolerated at their price point. Handmade products may be prone to asymmetry, but not sheer sloppiness.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads