• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me with sizing for Inca and Simpson. My foot length is 11 1/8 inches. I have a low instep low volume foot, and D width on a brannock. I tried rain UK 10 and it was to big in the instep and heel. (I don't remember how it fit in the toes, but it was not toe tight for sure)

do you have any dress shoes from major makers that fit well?

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what model and last this is ?
F64B95D5-E11B-426B-9BE0-DBA1953653BC.jpeg

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The axiom, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" does not apply to the shoe industry. When it comes to footwear, a brand's success and market share depend (among other factors) on its ability to innovate, adapt, and create without disrespecting classical aesthetics. Not an easy task, huh? Well, with the design, development, and materialization of the @Carmina "Calway," Carmina's latest boot model, Carmina reinforces what shoe aficionados and fashion insiders have known for years: Carmina is a premier bootmaker that continues to solidify its rich history with constant evolution, growth, and unprecedented feedback-to-product capabilities. That's how this boot was born, but let's take a deeper look at the Calway's origin's, shall we?

D482023E-8D6F-4223-A3DC-F77D899B6959.jpeg

Carmina has been an active partner of Styleforum for quite some time. They frequently organize GMTOs, respond directly to customer inquiries, field product feedback, and, on more than one occasion, resolve customer complaints right here, right on this thread. Back in the fall of 2019, multiple thread participants began asking Carmina if it would consider a new boot model, one Styleforum members quickly nicknamed the Carmina "Calway." After a few rounds of conversation, Carmina informed members that it would consider it. Developing new products from scratch isn't easy, but the brand was up to the challenge, as it often is, and customers backed the project with tremendous enthusiasm. To further engage Styleforum members, Carmina posted a few base, blackboard drawings of potential models, asking the subscribers of this thread to vote for the design and last of their choice. By a substantial margin, this was the winner (shown hereunder with the material specs specific to these boots):

EB734CF7-18C2-43C1-BE16-C21C8AC561CE.png

Now that the Calway backstory's clear, let's take a look at the actual boots, starting with some specs:

Model No.: 80791
Size: 8UK/9US
Last: Forest
Sole: Double dainite
Upper (excluding boot shaft): Tanned vegano
Boot shaft: Brown karangrain
Laces: round dark brown
Hardware (eyelets and speed hooks): Vintage brass

EEDC7B9B-2278-4273-8F4F-FA3F1142C92B.jpeg

When it comes to the boots themselves, I haven't much to say, really, other than they're immaculate, absolutely impeccable. I have detected no manufacturing flaws whatsoever. The tanned vegano is sublime. Not only is it some of the most supple calfskin I've ever seen and felt, but its color is chameleon-like. In bright light, tanned vegano morphs into almost an orange hue. Otherwise, it's a rich tan. The boot shaft? Sturdy and luxurious feeling, but that's a direct consequence of Karangrain's natural properties. It's a rich brown, thickly pebbled grain that's almost oily to the touch. For a boot shaft, where the boot will invariable flex more than any other part, karangrain is perfect. This boot is lasted on the Forest last, arguably one of the most balanced lasts in the shoe world. For a boot, the Forest last is ideal. Forest sits somewhere between a round and almond toe, tapers quite nicely in the heel and waist, and has relatively generous fitting properties. Personally, my favorite part about the Forest last is how well it secures the foot in the heel and waist, but provides ample room in the toe box, forefoot, and instep. There's a reason every single one of my Carmina shoes (except for loafers, which I like on the Xim last) are lasted on Forest. Finally, the sole. I've said this before on this thread, but it's worth saying again: Carmina's dainite is superb. It's not manufactured by the British company that actually makes Dainite soles (at least not to my knowledge). Yet, it's better. Carmina's dainite sole is just as resilient and sturdy as regular dainite, but much more flexible and softer. It's quite forgiving and feels cushioned underfoot. If you're not a fan of rubber soles, Carmina offers JR soles - the best leather soles on earth. If, however, you like your boots to have that ready-for-the-elements feel and overall purpose, I'd recommend the dainite sole.
D69518A5-F242-484D-8CE6-82959166F8B0.jpeg

E26358B6-DEAE-4014-A030-CD9EFC674DC5.jpeg

EC9FBB64-1BAB-4B6A-B969-4878FC255CC8.jpeg

3FD26D2E-4E5B-4033-BEBE-A8CD05F8C6E6.jpeg

Concluding thoughts? This boot is going to break the market. It's inexorably perfect. The Calway encapsulates the design boot aficionados around the world crave, with the exceptional quality and craftsmanship they've come to expect from Carmina, and at a reasonable price. Once Carmina offers this model in their customization tool, their site's going to crash because I foresee everyone on this thread getting one. Thoughts? I'd love to hear them. Questions? Let ‘em fly. Otherwise, healthy and safe, everyone.

6F652F6A-3111-4998-9A65-D335613E5D1C.jpeg

5E21B67E-A25A-4B3D-BF15-66E1467AA909.jpeg

B4F1910D-C9E9-4E90-A554-DE8CD0FE283A.jpeg

AA692A83-189D-4050-B856-AA194E25F6C1.jpeg

72E0E58A-AD17-4C7C-8813-5C4FD10AEFC8.jpeg

DC42CB5C-89CB-4CEB-955C-5A26978D06CB.jpeg

7BB00F8E-AB11-4BAF-9170-58923243E705.jpeg

P.S.: I plan on a maiden voyage soon, where I'll take some video, likely an unboxing clip.

Last edited:

JoeBlack0

Reaction score
Hi again fellow Carminiers, I'm selling a pair of brown suede tassel loafers for 195€ (with shoetrees) in size 8 if anyone is interested. Worn around 15 times.
IMG_4588.png

Attachments

• IMG_4610.png
    IMG_4610.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:

cop1211

Reaction score
What's the difference between the karengrain, and standard scotch grain offered by Carmina.
Any idea when they will be available on the site?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi again fellow Carminiers, I'm selling a pair of brown suede tassel loafers for 195€ (with shoetrees) if anyone is interested. Worn around 15 times.
View attachment 1373440

DM sent.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The axiom, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" does not apply is the shoe industry. When it comes to footwear, a brand's success and market share depend (among other factors) on its ability to innovate, adapt, and create without disrespecting classical aesthetics. Not an easy task, huh? Well, with the design, development, and materialization of the @Carmina "Calway," Carmina's latest boot model, Carmina reinforces what shoe aficionados and fashion insiders have known for years: Carmina is a premier bootmaker that continues to solidify its rich history with constant evolution, growth, and unprecedented feedback-to-product capabilities. That's how this boot was born, but let's take a deeper look at the Calway's origin's, shall we?

View attachment 1373404

Carmina has been an active partner of Styleforum for quite some time. They frequently organize GMTOs, respond directly to customer inquiries, field product feedback, and, on more than one occasion, resolve customer complaints right here, right on this thread. Back in the fall of 2019, multiple thread participants began asking Carmina if it would consider a new boot model, one Styleforum members quickly nicknamed the Carmina "Calway." After a few rounds of conversation, Carmina informed members that it would consider it. Developing new products from scratch isn't easy, but the brand was up to the challenge, as it often is, and customers backed the project with tremendous enthusiasm. To further engage Styleforum members, Carmina posted a few base, blackboard drawings of potential models, asking the subscribers of this thread to vote for the design and last of their choice. By a substantial margin, this was the winner (shown hereunder with the material specs specific to these boots):

View attachment 1373405

Now that the Calway backstory's clear, let's take a look at the actual boots, starting with some specs:

Model No.: 80791
Size: 8UK/9US
Last: Forest
Sole: Double dainite
Upper (excluding boot shaft): Tanned vegano
Boot shaft: Brown karangrain
Laces: round dark brown
Hardware (eyelets and speed hooks): Vintage brass

View attachment 1373406

When it comes to the boots themselves, I haven't much to say, really, other than they're immaculate, absolutely impeccable. I have detected no manufacturing flaws whatsoever. The tanned vegano is sublime. Not only is it some of the most supple calfskin I've ever seen and felt, but its color is chameleon-like. In bright light, tanned vegano morphs into almost an orange hue. Otherwise, it's a rich tan. The boot shaft? Sturdy and luxurious feeling, but that's a direct consequence of Karangrain's natural properties. It's a rich brown, thickly pebbled grain that's almost oily to the touch. For a boot shaft, where the boot will invariable flex more than any other part, karangrain is perfect. This boot is lasted on the Forest last, arguable one of the most balanced lasts in the shoe world. For a boot, the Forest last is ideal. Forest sits somewhere between a round and almond toe, tapers quite nicely in the heel and waist, and has relatively generous fitting properties. Personally, my favorite part about the Forest last is how well it secured the foot in the heel and waist, but provides ample room in the toe box, forefoot, and instep. There's a reason every single one of my Carmina shoes (except for loafers, which I like on the Xim last) are lasted on Forest. Finally, the sole. I've said this before on this thread, but it's worth saying again: Carmina's dainite is superb. It's not manufactured by the British company that actually makes Dainite soles (at least not to my knowledge). Yet, it's better. Carmina's dainite sole is just as resilient and sturdy as regular dainite, but much more flexible and softer. It's quite forgiving and feels cushioned underfoot. If you're not a fan of rubber soles, Carmina offers JR soles - the best leather soles on earth. If, however, you like your boots to have that ready-for-the-elements feel and overall purpose, I'd recommend the dainite sole. View attachment 1373412
View attachment 1373409
View attachment 1373410
View attachment 1373411

Concluding thoughts? This boot is going to break the market. It's inexorably perfect. The Calway encapsulates the design boot aficionados around the world crave, with the exceptional quality and craftsmanship they've come to expect from Carmina, and at a reasonable price. Once Carmina offers this model in their customization tool, their site's going to crash because I foresee everyone on this thread getting one. Thoughts? I'd love to hear them. Questions? Let ‘em fly. Otherwise, healthy and safe, everyone.

View attachment 1373413
View attachment 1373414
View attachment 1373415
View attachment 1373416
View attachment 1373417
View attachment 1373421
View attachment 1373426

P.S.: I plan on a maiden voyage soon, where I'll take some video, likely an unboxing clip.
Very interesting, what’s the sc on them?

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between the karengrain, and standard scotch grain offered by Carmina.
Any idea when they will be available on the site?

This virus crisis may have slowed down things. So, no idea when they’ll be available to the public. As far as grains are concerned, they all vary tremendously. Some are thinner, some are thicker. Some are coarse, some are relatively smooth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads