• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DL120

Reaction score
They came out amazing. Thank you! Pretty close to the RTW version except I changed to brass buckle and brown edge with orange kid lining. Which I think really set them off!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@stephenaf2003 Have you encountered any issues with the dryness/tearing that Carmina mentioned earlier? They said initially it should not be a problem, but how have your's held up? Also, what type of leather care regimen have you used?
I believe with the tearing, Carmina was referring to the difficulties they were experiencing during the lasting process. The leather is stretched quite a bit during some of the lasting steps, and this letter from what I understand, runs into some of the same issues as shell.

You shouldn’t experience any issues with tearing of the leather as you wear the shoes. This leather is quite durable, and my care regimen has been to use Bick4 conditioner. I suppose if I wanted to use color, I would use the Saphir Tobacco as Kirby suggested. But, I’ve not followed any of his other methods in caring for my Radnor’s. With that said, his method does not seem unreasonable to me.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hand painted green you say ? How do I find out more. I'm already thinking about buying something in that green shell.

Yes, that shell will turn out very special I think; talk with Sara, she’ll let you know all of your options.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe with the tearing, Carmina was referring to the difficulties they were experiencing during the lasting process. The leather is stretched quite a bit during some of the lasting steps, and this letter from what I understand, runs into some of the same issues as shell.

You shouldn’t experience any issues with tearing of the leather as you wear the shoes. This leather is quite durable, and my care regimen has been to use Bick4 conditioner. I suppose if I wanted to use color, I would use the Saphir Tobacco as Kirby suggested. But, I’ve not followed any of his other methods in caring for my Radnor’s. With that said, his method does not seem unreasonable to me.
Looks like this Chukka is on the forest last. Do you go same size rain and forest?

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These guys needed a shine.

20200228_204259_HDR.jpg

ErPupone4

Reaction score

Thanks a lot for the reply. Sounds like I don't have anything to worry about. Figured I would ask you since you've had the leather for a couple years. I appreciate the insight! Looks like I'm placing my order tomorrow!

DrGearTronic

Reaction score
Some pics from after the maiden voyage. Carmina 80339; Robert Last; Natural Shell Cordovan.
I will admit, I snagged an Uber back home at lunchtime specifically to allow myself 10-15 minutes to wipe off the morning’s blooming/residue from the vamp with an old shirt.
As many of you already know, “blooming” is to be expected early on. Once home from work, I wiped them off (again) with an old shirt prior to taking these pics.Wanted to try to let the cordovan do its magic and keep it to the basics today to see if I could do them justice without using any cream polish, horsehair brush, or cotton chamois.
No brushes or creams applied (evening during the lunchtime home visit) for these pics; only circular light pressure applied while using an old shirt.
Gotta love OG shell cordovan!

Attachments

• 3F326173-1F1E-455A-B722-173159403497.jpeg
    3F326173-1F1E-455A-B722-173159403497.jpeg
    334.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 88602A17-97B8-496F-AF54-5C2EE7BE8F81.jpeg
    88602A17-97B8-496F-AF54-5C2EE7BE8F81.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 83

LThomsen

Reaction score
These look great. How do these compare to alden or allen Edmonds shell ?

Mothetgoo

Reaction score
Some pics from after the maiden voyage. Carmina 80339; Robert Last; Natural Shell Cordovan.
I will admit, I snagged an Uber back home at lunchtime specifically to allow myself 10-15 minutes to wipe off the morning’s blooming/residue from the vamp with an old shirt.
As many of you already know, “blooming” is to be expected early on. Once home from work, I wiped them off (again) with an old shirt prior to taking these pics.Wanted to try to let the cordovan do its magic and keep it to the basics today to see if I could do them justice without using any cream polish, horsehair brush, or cotton chamois.
No brushes or creams applied (evening during the lunchtime home visit) for these pics; only circular light pressure applied while using an old shirt.
Gotta love OG shell cordovan!
Those look great; that colorlooks dark for “natural” shell. Have you put anything on them or is it maybe just the lighting? I prefer how those appear to the sometimes “rawhide” look of natural shell.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like this Chukka is on the forest last. Do you go same size rain and forest?
I take my normal UK8.5 on the Forest, but in EEE. I need a little more room around the ball of my foot.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the reply. Sounds like I don't have anything to worry about. Figured I would ask you since you've had the leather for a couple years. I appreciate the insight! Looks like I'm placing my order tomorrow!
Come the end of April, or early May I have the feeling you will be very pleased you did. :thumbs-up:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads