• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Given the dryness do we have to worry about tearing after the shoe is made or is it just difficult to work with?

Initially there should be no problem. Other shoe brands have worked with this leather and it looks like there will not be major issues. We did realise models such as chelsea boots would be quite challenging to manufacture.

@Carmina - I've bought into the Hanger Project GMTO for the reindeer chukkas. What is the recommended care for this type of leather - will it take a hard wax (like Saphir hard wax polish)? Or is it more like a CXL that doesn't polish well and just uses a protector/conditioner? Really looking forward to the boot - from the limited images/video the leather looks gorgeous.

HP send a shoe care guide for this specific leather through their newsletter. You will find it in their Instagram account too.

Will the Kirby GMTO chukka boots come with shoe trees @Carmina ? Is it possible to add toe plates to the shoes and pay extra? I add plates to all my leather soled shoes and would need to send them off for toe plates. Seems easier just to have the factory add them during manufacturing.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not aware of their specific conditions and offer. Their customer service team will very gladly let you know about their terms and conditions. We are simply receiving an order for boots we will be manufacturing for them.

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Carmina
Wecome back Sara! The new site looks great, by the way; it is a great improvement.

You mentioned above that you won't be stocking more Shell colors for the time being as the order for 2020 already went through. Would you mind elaborating on that at all? In particular, do you still have plans in the future to do any additional rare-shell GMTOs, or have any availability for Amaretto or Color 4 Shell as you have in the past? I know that I am (sadly far down) on the Color 4 waitlist and I have enquired about Amaretto in the past, and I just wanted to check in and see if waiting/hoping for those colors of shell is worthwhile, or if not (i.e., that there won't be any stock in those colors in the foreseeable future/ in 2020).

Thanks!

Thank you, it feels great to be back!

Allow me to explain further. We send annual stock previsions in which we specify the amounts and colours we would like during a complete year. This refers to the colours in our rotation which we ideally have in stock year round. This includes black, burgundy, navy...

In regards to rare shell colours, I have requested colour 4, amaretto and any "innovations" Horween might have.

Therefore, Horween will be sending us these colours and hopefully some gems. For the time being, we will not be ordering more colours other than the ones mentioned above.

DrGearTronic

Reaction score
Very excited to have recently picked up a brand new pair of Carmina 80339’s on Robert Last in Natural Shell Cordovan from a previous owner that never even took them out for maiden voyage!
Pics attached.
Two questions regarding these and I want to baby these for the rest of my life:
1. For those of you that have cordovan Carmina’s, do you typically condition with saphir renovateur (or other products) before maiden voyage or after a few wears? I also have clear saphir cordovan cream that I’ll like apply I’m after conditioning, but can’t decide whether or not to use renovateur and clear cordovan cream before or after first outing.
2. Previous owner had preemptively applied plastic heel protectors on top of the brand new heels. I noticed when I tried them on the added height felt off since they were applied on new heels. Nothing to compensate for as heels hadn’t been worn down any yet. That said, I removed the heel guards. Once removed, the holes from the nails remain in the sole after removal, maybe 0.7 inches deep. Thoughts on using some product to fill in these holes? Considered maybe even placing the nails back in the holes, it can’t help but think there’s a better option, whether it be just filling with hard wax or something else entirely.
Thanks in advance!
-DrGearTronic

Attachments

• 64A1C834-C778-4C89-B2F6-BAF7EDEFAC02.jpeg
    64A1C834-C778-4C89-B2F6-BAF7EDEFAC02.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 57
  • 62875074-8EAA-4542-829E-849E46B0986D.jpeg
    62875074-8EAA-4542-829E-849E46B0986D.jpeg
    267 KB · Views: 53
  • 4B077086-66E7-4764-9A2C-79387C7F8BE1.jpeg
    4B077086-66E7-4764-9A2C-79387C7F8BE1.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 133DD8B0-DC4B-48BD-A399-72A159DB0B45.jpeg
    133DD8B0-DC4B-48BD-A399-72A159DB0B45.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 52
  • DE5F99D3-C6C5-431E-836A-17F99279494D.jpeg
    DE5F99D3-C6C5-431E-836A-17F99279494D.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 47C71771-CFD2-44DF-88C1-C7BE3B213C9E.jpeg
    47C71771-CFD2-44DF-88C1-C7BE3B213C9E.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 82

Darkkp

Reaction score
@Carmina I recently saw the New York last on the last page but I have not seen it available while customizing a pair of boots. Can you provide us with any information regarding this last and how it compares to the llubi last?

Rodolphe

Reaction score
Thank you, it feels great to be back!

Allow me to explain further. We send annual stock previsions in which we specify the amounts and colours we would like during a complete year. This refers to the colours in our rotation which we ideally have in stock year round. This includes black, burgundy, navy...

In regards to rare shell colours, I have requested colour 4, amaretto and any "innovations" Horween might have.

Therefore, Horween will be sending us these colours and hopefully some gems. For the time being, we will not be ordering more colours other than the ones mentioned above.
Hello Sara !
Too bad for me. I wanted to ask you if you had dark cognac Cordovan to MTO you the Calway at the end of this year, but it is not in your stock I presume...

Rodolphe

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I just received my first Cordovan jumper boots today and I noticed that the calf lining isn't glue to the Cordovan upper and shaft. Is it normal ?
I have two pairs of grein and Karangrein jumpers and the lining is glued for these.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I just received my first Cordovan jumper boots today and I noticed that the calf lining isn't glue to the Cordovan upper and shaft. Is it normal ?
I have two pairs of grein and Karangrein jumpers and the lining is glued for these.
I have a few shoes from various manufacturers where the shaft lining isn’t glued. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about. ?

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ @Betelgeuse, I am considering getting this (cordovan burgundy), but thought it would look much darker. Is the red more dominant over brown? Thanks!
Well I don't know if this is a true burgundy, looks a lot more like mahogany. For example, the best cream for this color is Spahir mahagony but I use burgundy to give them a deeper color.

Trakl

Reaction score
@Carmina I recently saw the New York last on the last page but I have not seen it available while customizing a pair of boots. Can you provide us with any information regarding this last and how it compares to the llubi last?

@Carmina I am wondering the exact same thing, and also how it compares to the Detroit EEE last. Please give us all possible information about this new last, thank you!

Last edited:

Trakl

Reaction score
That’s awesome, I would love to do a short jumper boot in the Baker Russian calf if you eventually stock up. Glad to have you back, love the new site. I know how much goes into a site launch so I’m sure you’re all relieved to have it live.
+1
I would also love to do a jumper in Baker Russian.

Rodolphe

Reaction score
I have a few shoes from various manufacturers where the shaft lining isn’t glued. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about. ?
I just take my Karangrein pair and it's not glued lol. I was mistaken.

I had asked for the darkest armagnac that they have and they gave me this beautiful dark shade :
IMG_20200227_221237.jpg
IMG_20200227_221358.jpg

With the Cordovan-specific-magical-color-changes :
IMG_20200227_221525.jpg
IMG_20200227_221518.jpg

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 80459 boots don't have the lining glued to the shaft either, with no apparent issues. They're kid though.

(As an aside I wonder why kid isn't the default lining for most shoes...it's so soft, I really prefer it)

Rodolphe

Reaction score
My 80459 boots don't have the lining glued to the shaft either, with no apparent issues. They're kid though.

(As an aside I wonder why kid isn't the default lining for most shoes...it's so soft, I really prefer it)
When I ordered my MTO Zug Snowdon, I asked for the same lining than the hand grade collection. Superior quality, very soft and beautiful. Pernilla answered me this : "The linings that is usually used is a much more hard wearing leather so it makes more sense to use this on such a robust boot".
I prefer to bet on robustness on such boots, so I would take calf, personally.
Just my two cents.

LThomsen

Reaction score
Could any one comment on how carmina compares to tlb in terms of materials, fit and finishing?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads