• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am definitely looking forward for the Calway, I am assuming it will be released as a customizable MTO for its first run. How are you guys going to spec yours? I am thinking Navy Suede Shaft + Navy Museum on Oscar + JR soles.

Russian grain (if available) for the upper, polo suede for the shaft, flat welt, double York. I’d place that order today if I could.

Banks

Reaction score
Has anyone had to a return a pair of shoes or boots to Carmina from the U.S.? I'm wondering whether the shipments go to their NYC store or back to Spain and, especially with the latter, what it might cost. I thought they used to charge a flat fee for returns but don't see that mentioned on the website anymore.

DL120

Reaction score
@Carmina what about ivywood? It’s similar in color to the Armagnac shell but it’s a shade lighter and a very rich mid caramel brown.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I really did not want to purchase any more shoes this year. But, this leather is just amazing. I have the C&J Radnor, which utilizes the leather. When l got the Radnor back in 2017, I knew if it was ever available on any other boot, I’d be in. Because of the material it was just something I couldn’t pass on.
You have quite a few pairs of boots, so if you are saying this leather is a must have then maybe I go with the "bird in the hand" route here.

patrickngai

Reaction score
Agreed and well said! On my pair of color 4 boots (well mine now lol), there was a very small fold on the rear quarter around the ankle. The rest of the boot is flawless, and once I bent my ankle the shaft began molding as expected and it’s basically resolved itself as I anticipated. So nothing I was or am concerned about, but also not afraid to admit they weren’t perfect.

I do have a general question but related, why don’t they wait to create the tongue lace loop until the tongue is stitched and the boot is lasted. On every pair of carmina boots (and Enzo, meermin, every maker practically besides Zonkey Boot) I have the tongue lace loop is centered on the tongue if it were laying flat, but once lasted and on the foot, it always ends up to the side. And then it either is awkward to use, looks like it may rip or just doesn’t actually perform the function. Any other experience or observations on this?

I’m sending down to Jim McFarland now for toe plates, so I may just have him make a small stitch on the inner side of either tongue to keep it centered so I can just avoid them.

View attachment 1343872
View attachment 1343873

Really nice boots, they remind me of the CJ’s Harlech’s. What last are these on and what mode number?

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Carmina burdeos Oxfords.

96DD8B04-3390-44F1-BD43-14EFA7343C15.jpeg

Wlchew

Reaction score
^^ @Betelgeuse, I am considering getting this (cordovan burgundy), but thought it would look much darker. Is the red more dominant over brown? Thanks!

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That’s awesome, I would love to do a short jumper boot in the Baker Russian calf if you eventually stock up. Glad to have you back, love the new site. I know how much goes into a site launch so I’m sure you’re all relieved to have it live.

Thank you, these last few months have been crazy. We are still trying to correct bugs, improve pictures, introduce new features.. Please let us know if you find any mistakes or typos.

I am definitely looking forward for the Calway, I am assuming it will be released as a customizable MTO for its first run. How are you guys going to spec yours? I am thinking Navy Suede Shaft + Navy Museum on Oscar + JR soles.

We can definitely look into the possibility of a styleforum GMTO before the model is publicly launched in our website.

That’s awesome, I would love to do a short jumper boot in the Baker Russian calf if you eventually stock up. Glad to have you back, love the new site. I know how much goes into a site launch so I’m sure you’re all relieved to have it live.

From our initial experience with this leather, it is extremely dry and tears up quite easily. Therefore there will be some restrictions as to which models we could manufacture in this model. We can check with the artisans if you have a certain model in mind.

Does Carmina have a light colored museum? Something like darker Russian calf over gold museum on Forest would look pretty nice.

Pictures of the shade you are interested in might help.

Sara, you all are worth the wait.

....as for the query regarding green shell; I love my Carmina green shell brogue boots. Also, had I not indulged in an obscene amount of shoes the last 18 months, (and trust me it was truly obscene), I would have already ordered the boots we talked about in the hand painted green. This hand painted green boot is now placed in the special place I reserve what are for me personally, truly heart stopping boots. It’s on my list of must haves!

You are too kind, we can make them anytime since the shade is hand-painted by our artisans.

@Carmina what about ivywood? It’s similar in color to the Armagnac shell but it’s a shade lighter and a very rich mid caramel brown.

I'm afraid we will not be stocking more Shell colours for the time being since the order for 2020 already went through. We are not familiar with this shade you mention though..

Yeah, I really did not want to purchase any more shoes this year. But, this leather is just amazing. I have the C&J Radnor, which utilizes the leather. When l got the Radnor back in 2017, I knew if it was ever available on any other boot, I’d be in. Because of the material it was just something I couldn’t pass on.

The Russian Caf leather is crazily expensive, we can image why very few shoemakers decide to stock it up.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, these last few months have been crazy. We are still trying to correct bugs, improve pictures, introduce new features.. Please let us know if you find any mistakes or typos.

We can definitely look into the possibility of a styleforum GMTO before the model is publicly launched in our website.

From our initial experience with this leather, it is extremely dry and tears up quite easily. Therefore there will be some restrictions as to which models we could manufacture in this model. We can check with the artisans if you have a certain model in mind.

Pictures of the shade you are interested in might help.

You are too kind, we can make them anytime since the shade is hand-painted by our artisans.

I'm afraid we will not be stocking more Shell colours for the time being since the order for 2020 already went through. We are not familiar with this shade you mention though..

The Russian Caf leather is crazily expensive, we can image why very few shoemakers decide to stock it up.
Given the dryness do we have to worry about tearing after the shoe is made or is it just difficult to work with?

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Carmina - I've bought into the Hanger Project GMTO for the reindeer chukkas. What is the recommended care for this type of leather - will it take a hard wax (like Saphir hard wax polish)? Or is it more like a CXL that doesn't polish well and just uses a protector/conditioner? Really looking forward to the boot - from the limited images/video the leather looks gorgeous.

ErPupone4

Reaction score
Will the Kirby GMTO chukka boots come with shoe trees @Carmina ? Is it possible to add toe plates to the shoes and pay extra? I add plates to all my leather soled shoes and would need to send them off for toe plates. Seems easier just to have the factory add them during manufacturing.

Thanks in advance.

Mothetgoo

Reaction score
@Carmina
Wecome back Sara! The new site looks great, by the way; it is a great improvement.

You mentioned above that you won't be stocking more Shell colors for the time being as the order for 2020 already went through. Would you mind elaborating on that at all? In particular, do you still have plans in the future to do any additional rare-shell GMTOs, or have any availability for Amaretto or Color 4 Shell as you have in the past? I know that I am (sadly far down) on the Color 4 waitlist and I have enquired about Amaretto in the past, and I just wanted to check in and see if waiting/hoping for those colors of shell is worthwhile, or if not (i.e., that there won't be any stock in those colors in the foreseeable future/ in 2020).

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads