• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thank you. this was along the lines of what I expected colorwise. there were several other major problems, I just don't want to air them out here...
Dang, that sucks man. Your reserve is wise, and admirable; and yes the two issues you have shared are quite glaring. I suspect Carmina will take care of your issues, hopefully quickly enough to take some of the edge off of your frustration.

DL120

Reaction score
thank you for your feedback.

as someone who owns >25 pairs of shell, I do know what are below seconds and what is acceptable. I also know that color 4 has a certain look. if it doesn't, it's not color 4, but some other shade of shell. these that I received are not in the color table.

examples of color 4:

4x4-2.jpg

Alden-Color-4-Shell-Cordovan-CT-Boot-8.jpg

yySk5qM.jpg

Alden-Color-4-WT-Boots-5.jpg

what I received, below in daylight. several issues, but main is this crease - looks like a reflection, but it is not. it is as if the maker used a piece of shell that was firmly folded with a bend in it... also, this is not what I expect for color 4. also, this bend will not disappear with normal wear (unfortunately) and it is on the main part of the shoe.

View attachment 1343052
Understood and no disrespect intended, it’s just easier to gauge the level of issue if a picture is included for reference.

I feel some of the earlier pairs looked stellar, and later pairs less so. That’s simply based on order of posting them, but seems the batch may have gotten thin towards the end. No excuse for issues especially if the wait was as long as some I heard.

Wlchew

Reaction score
What is your favorite for balmoral boots customization/MTO? Or some photos of what you like? Have been scouring the web and seen nice ones with some suede/grain, and particularly @RogerP’s sweet collection, would love to see more!

Hoping to get some ideas - currently thinking of a cordovan color 8 for the entire upper for 80092 balmoral haha but too conservative/stiff?

TIA!

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your favorite for balmoral boots customization/MTO? Or some photos of what you like? Have been scouring the web and seen nice ones with some suede/grain, and particularly @RogerP’s sweet collection, would love to see more!

Hoping to get some ideas - currently thinking of a cordovan color 8 for the entire upper for 80092 balmoral haha but too conservative/stiff?

TIA!

This. Full stop.
FEBF94A5-0892-42E3-9E21-FD5B5930A1A3.jpeg
34EDB3A8-E8D7-4CCC-8E15-E4872C66090A.jpeg

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dang, that sucks man. Your reserve is wise, and admirable; and yes the two issues you have shared are quite glaring. I suspect Carmina will take care of your issues, hopefully quickly enough to take some of the edge off of your frustration.
pretty frustrating. is there no quality control at Carmina anymore?

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not that I think anyone's reactions are unjustified, but...this thread is a pretty good example of why courting Styleforum customers is a double-edged sword for businesses.
just curious - do you think Quality Control and not shipping out stuff that is way below spec is a double-edged sword for businesses? do you think non-Styleforum members would and should put up with that?

if you ordered something and the product you received was completely unacceptable, would you say, no problem, i'll take the ~$1,000 loss?

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just curious - do you think Quality Control and not shipping out stuff that is way below spec is a double-edged sword for businesses? do you think non-Styleforum members would and should put up with that?

if you ordered something and the product you received was completely unacceptable, would you say, no problem, i'll take the ~$1,000 loss?

I don't think anyone is saying that but I think it can be handled between you and Carmina's CS without necessarily resorting to asking whether Carmina has any quality control on their public affiliate thread.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I kind of explicitly said that I don't think people should avoid speaking up about this. I just think that Styleforum members are a) more likely to notice errors in the first place and b) more likely to complain about said errors publicly, creating a (perhaps skewed?) perception that errors are the norm.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
No, he means that some Style Forum members expect to expect Ferrari F60 America for the price of Toyota Corolla.

I think that's unreasonable in the context of @ThinkDerm concerns with his order. He's unhappy with the quality of the product received, full stop. I'm not aware of his complaining about the price. Nor do I think its unreasonable to have high expectations for shoes in this price tier.

ecworks

Reaction score
In this forum Carmina opinions, good and bad, come with the territory.
Seems like forum groups like this are comprised of a self selected demographic of enthusiasts who like hearing others opinions and giving their own opinions about topics, products, they are interested in.

Styleforum likely wouldn't exist without that pretty dependable dynamic. I've found comments regarding Carmina on this forum and thread pretty fair and reasonable but pointing out real issues. That is what I look for in forum discussion groups, movie reviews, restaurant reviews. You read enough posts with their points/counter points and you can pickup on whats really going on, trends, patterns.

Regarding Carmina my experience and opinion has been that things have gotten away from them in the past year or so, perhaps longer. I have ordered 4 pairs of their shoes/boots over the past 2 years. Every single time there was a QC issue. I did appreciate the eventual resolution of each issue. The most noteworthy was the Massdrop from 2017 where they got the sizing wrong and offered everyone to keep their shoes at no charge. Very smart and generous on their part.

In that same time period I've ordered 1/2 dozen pairs of Aldens and had zero QC issues.

I'm conflicted with Carmina, so glad I stumbled across them a few years ago but I think they are going thru some fairly significant growing pains/hiring/training pains.

Hopefully Carmina is following this forum and is getting some useful feedback. Often times that is the most effective tool to initiate changes/improvements.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads