• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DL120

Reaction score
Thanks to @Mr Clemson

amaretto wingtip boot on the Oscar last.
9A7B7C19-39C5-4733-8F98-0DC024A5FB0F.jpeg
8DDEC4E0-72B3-48B2-B35B-747A90C7F073.jpeg
274E38EE-17C6-4753-BF8C-12F0A4B9D518.jpeg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I'd start there.

I tend to be more aggressive and just go straight to acetone, but that's not where I'd start unless you've done it before

I mostly agree with this, except that I wouldn't waste the time trying to use renomat. I'd go straight to acetone. At least in my limited experience with project shoes (I've done 3 pairs), the tricky part isnt the stripping it's the dyeing work, depending upon what you want to do. If you are into projects, it's a lot of fun and not difficult to do a good job. It IS difficult to do an amazing job, the difference being if you want to do a custom dye based burnish, for instance, or other more wild dye based patterns.

If you wanted to just strip them and dye to even out the color post strip, it should be fairly straightforward if you are careful.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mostly agree with this, except that I wouldn't waste the time trying to use renomat. I'd go straight to acetone. At least in my limited experience with project shoes (I've done 3 pairs), the tricky part isnt the stripping it's the dyeing work, depending upon what you want to do. If you are into projects, it's a lot of fun and not difficult to do a good job. It IS difficult to do an amazing job, the difference being if you want to do a custom dye based burnish, for instance, or other more wild dye based patterns.

If you wanted to just strip them and dye to even out the color post strip, it should be fairly straightforward if you are careful.
Thanks, I'll think about how I want to tackle this project

cakv

Reaction score
That comparator is a liar ... I wear Rain in UK9 and just can't wear Simpson at all ... Unless I size up a full size, which makes the rest of the shoes fit really poor.
I speculated it was a bit off based on last impressions from the beginning of the thread. Thanks for confirming. Maybe it is in fact accurate but the different fits has more to do with 3 dimensional things that can't be illustrated on a 2D, top-down illustration like the one they have on the site.

emidyl

Reaction score
Is the Last/Shape Comparator on the new website accurate, folks? There seems to be almost a negligible difference between Simpson and Rain last but from what I read a couple years ago, the more narrow shape of Simpson was pretty noticeable. Can anyone that has tried on/owned both lasts chime in?

Asking because I haven't gotten a chance to try on Simpson but would love to own due to shape(I think Rain EEE is the best fit for me though, which is only a few mm wider than standard Rain). I currently own 5 pairs of Rain:

View attachment 1339899
no way accurate at all

jack.black123

Reaction score
Hi, first-time poster here. I recently came across Carmina in my search for a black loafer for a professional setting. Specifically, I would appreciate any insight on the difference between the 734 Forest and 923 Forest.

Having ordered the 80191 Uetam and 734 Forest Tassel, I really came to appreciate the toe shape and overall feel of the latter. However, I am a bit worried that for my particular professional setting, the tassels are not deemed appropriate apart from Fridays.

While the 923 obviously has the same last, the photos seem to indicate a more traditional shape and don't show the lovely narrowing of the 734 for the toe box. Additionally, the leather seems to be quite different. Therefore, I was wondering whether anyone had any direct experience with both models and could discuss the differences, particularly whether the toe and heel shape is actually the same and the different finishing on the top just creates an illusion of difference. Is it possible to create the shinier look of the 734 with shoe cream on the 923?

Unfortunately, the 80191 was a bit too narrow for me and seemed too filigree if you know what I mean.

Highly appreciate any help.

DrGearTronic

Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of size 9 Carminas online and opted for the shoe trees to be included. That said, I’ve contacted customer service multiple times over the last 1.5 months (with responses) only to be met with multiple delays, and finally an offer of size 9.5 trees or my money back. Am I the only one experiencing this difficulty in obtaining correctly sized trees with the shoes that I’m purchasing?
As an avid collector that is diligent in caring for my shoes, I have yet to wear my most recent purchase as I still don’t have what I feel are the most appropriate trees to place in them after wear.

DL120

Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of size 9 Carminas online and opted for the shoe trees to be included. That said, I’ve contacted customer service multiple times over the last 1.5 months (with responses) only to be met with multiple delays, and finally an offer of size 9.5 trees or my money back. Am I the only one experiencing this difficulty in obtaining correctly sized trees with the shoes that I’m purchasing?
As an avid collector that is diligent in caring for my shoes, I have yet to wear my most recent purchase as I still don’t have what I feel are the most appropriate trees to place in them after wear.
Shoe trees are extremely important, but you can 100% use a generic shoe tree that is the appropriate size while you wait to receive the pair from carmina.
I just received a few sets of the beechwood hinged lasted trees. Based on my conversations with Sara, Daniela and Adriana (from NYC CS), they appear to be in the process of discontinuing the hinged trees in place of a beechwood tree that uses dual springs. In this transition I think there’s some issue with fulfilling certain sizes, I ordered a uk7 new spring version and a uk7.5 hinged tree but said I’d take both 7.5 hinges. The spring only comes in full sizes which is the reason for the replacement in my opinion. It’s just too difficult for a maker like carmina with so many lasts, upper material, sizes, to offer a stock hinge lasted tree. The hinge tree has to fit impeccable and any slight change like boot or shoe, shell vs calf vs suede. Detroit vs rain or Simpson or so on. Basically it’s impossible for them to continue to maintain the hinged trees in every half size and ensure a proper fit.

if possible, I’d make due with an alternative tree and wait for the spring loaded beechwood version to be available.

Mothetgoo

Reaction score
That comparator is a liar ... I wear Rain in UK9 and just can't wear Simpson at all ... Unless I size up a full size, which makes the rest of the shoes fit really poor.
So I asked Sara (from Carmina) about this and she said the last comparator is not for, and should not be used to, compare sizes. She said it is for last shape only, but that it does not accurately reflect size differences. It would be great if it did, but it shouldn’t be a size gauge.

ErPupone4

Reaction score
Shoe trees are extremely important, but you can 100% use a generic shoe tree that is the appropriate size while you wait to receive the pair from carmina.
I just received a few sets of the beechwood hinged lasted trees. Based on my conversations with Sara, Daniela and Adriana (from NYC CS), they appear to be in the process of discontinuing the hinged trees in place of a beechwood tree that uses dual springs. In this transition I think there’s some issue with fulfilling certain sizes, I ordered a uk7 new spring version and a uk7.5 hinged tree but said I’d take both 7.5 hinges. The spring only comes in full sizes which is the reason for the replacement in my opinion. It’s just too difficult for a maker like carmina with so many lasts, upper material, sizes, to offer a stock hinge lasted tree. The hinge tree has to fit impeccable and any slight change like boot or shoe, shell vs calf vs suede. Detroit vs rain or Simpson or so on. Basically it’s impossible for them to continue to maintain the hinged trees in every half size and ensure a proper fit.

if possible, I’d make due with an alternative tree and wait for the spring loaded beechwood version to be available.
Interesting. The hinged version just came out last September IIRC. I paid extra for that version on my Chelsea boots but didn't receive them with my order. I had to send the boots back for repair and they arrived this week. If the same spring version is included, I'll probably just ask for them to refund the difference.

Thanks for the info.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say, I struggle with the idea that shoe trees must be specifically sized for a given size or last. Spring loaded woodlore shoe trees (split toe version) work well in all my shoes. I wouldn't pay a premium for a tree designed specifically for a given last or size. What's also amusing - Woodlore makes them for a lot of US companies - if you buy them from AE (the parent company) you pay a premium just to have the AE plate on them. Buy them from Clarks for $17 and you get the exact same tree with a different plate on it. You can get them from Amazon. The split toe is nice because it expands to fit the shape of the toe box. So, get a refund on Carmina trees and just get some Woodlores.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I have to say, I struggle with the idea that shoe trees must be specifically sized for a given size or last. Spring loaded woodlore shoe trees (split toe version) work well in all my shoes. I wouldn't pay a premium for a tree designed specifically for a given last or size. What's also amusing - Woodlore makes them for a lot of US companies - if you buy them from AE (the parent company) you pay a premium just to have the AE plate on them. Buy them from Clarks for $17 and you get the exact same tree with a different plate on it. You can get them from Amazon. The split toe is nice because it expands to fit the shape of the toe box. So, get a refund on Carmina trees and just get some Woodlores.

That's my view as well. I'd rather have more $ for shoes. My last purchase of trees I bought 11 pairs for about $8 or 9 each through Lord & Taylor of all places. Huge sale around the holidays. They are the same woodlore split toes that I use in almost all my shoes.

cakv

Reaction score

Do you happen to have pictures of both types of trees? I'm curious as to what they both look and feel like side by side. I only have the $70 trees that would come standard with the shoes if you selected the option within the shoe's page(it was right next to the metal taps option)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads