• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DL120

Reaction score
Newest pair, and still a few more on the way. Thank you chad!
E4321E76-1457-4C84-B8DA-C6D6D3414D9F.jpeg
F0676E08-5D34-4BF3-A76B-F4A98F93C3AF.jpeg
756F6113-8E8A-4083-885B-44464799846F.jpeg
F52E350C-26C9-4580-847E-9FACB2AB9FAE.jpeg

weissmenswear

Reaction score
Hello Gents, I have a sizing question in regards to Carmina with my eyes on these balmoral dress boots: https://www.carminashoemaker.com/balmoral-boots-box-calf-black-80092

I typically wear an 8.5 D on the 65 Last in AE. Any advice on what sizes and lasts I should consider with Carmina?

You’ll be a full size down (UK sizing) for most Carmina lasts, so expect 7.5 for Rain last, Forest, Uetam, Detroit... Simpson is the one that can be trickier to fit, so I’d recommend going with an 8 in Simpson, and you may just find an extra bit of room at the toebox.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Gents, I have a sizing question in regards to Carmina with my eyes on these balmoral dress boots: https://www.carminashoemaker.com/balmoral-boots-box-calf-black-80092

I typically wear an 8.5 D on the 65 Last in AE. Any advice on what sizes and lasts I should consider with Carmina?

Can you say a bit about how the 65 fits? Do you have much lace gap? Enough room in the toes? The heel?

In general, Carmina has a higher instep than AE lasts. The must similar fit to the AE 65 in my experience is the Simpson (subtracting 1 from US size, or 7.5 for you). Alcudia is also close, but with a bit more instep room.

Soller is much bigger; you would possibly drop down to 7. Same goes for Rain and Inca, though both have toe tapers that could be an issue. Forest, as in the pair you posted, are in the middle. More instep than the 65, more akin to the 201, perhaps a bit higher. If you have skinny ankles or a closed lace gap on the 65, there boots probably wouldn’t work without a tongue pad etc. I would stick with 7.5, though; Forest isn’t big enough to drop down another half size

Andreas _Zuo

Reaction score

My size in AE: US 8.5 D
Alden : US 8.5 D on Plaza last:
Carmina : UK 7 on most of lasts like Rain/Detroit/ /Buger/Soller/Oscar/Forest/Robert, even Uetam, only UK7.5 on Simpson. Hope it helps!

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
Can you say a bit about how the 65 fits? Do you have much lace gap? Enough room in the toes? The heel?

In general, Carmina has a higher instep than AE lasts. The must similar fit to the AE 65 in my experience is the Simpson (subtracting 1 from US size, or 7.5 for you). Alcudia is also close, but with a bit more instep room.

Soller is much bigger; you would possibly drop down to 7. Same goes for Rain and Inca, though both have toe tapers that could be an issue. Forest, as in the pair you posted, are in the middle. More instep than the 65, more akin to the 201, perhaps a bit higher. If you have skinny ankles or a closed lace gap on the 65, there boots probably wouldn’t work without a tongue pad etc. I would stick with 7.5, though; Forest isn’t big enough to drop down another half size

Best way to describe it is that AE on the 65 fits me like a glove. Proper lace gap. Enough room in the toes and just right in the heel. Unless I've had them for many years, they fit comfortably snug and feels just right as I pop my foot in. That's why, for me, its the best comparable.

Truthfully, I would really just like to visit the NY store, see everything they have and get a fitting. That would be the best way.

However, living in Toronto, that has to wait until my next trip to NY. In the meantime, they appear to be exactly what I'm looking for in a dress boot. I find it's difficult to find a truly dressy boot perfect for suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads