• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Completely agree with your statement, and your bourbon boots are fantastic. You're probably the first one on SF to pull the the trigger on this modified design. 4 eyelets/4 hooks or all eyelets, either would look equally good. If you compare to a pair of C&J boots, these are slightly taller than the Harlech for example. But this minor difference (ie. 4 eyelets/4 hooks or all eyelets) makes C&J boots appear better proportioned.

Having stated the above, I appreciate the fact that Carmina maintains its uniqueness. I've patterned all of my custom orders on similar models from C&J and Alden. The end product is always unique, and I'd rather have this minor imbalance (in my eyes at least) vs. a well executed complete clone.

I forgot to mention one important fact: your boots look ******* YUMMY. Enjoy them in good health.

serbarristan

Reaction score
Color 4 532 LWB on Oscar with double JR sole. My vision for these was a 360 flat welt, but the artisans for some ridiculous reason made them a 270 welt. I'm really unhappy with that since it looks odd on a long wing, but otherwise they did a solid job. I sent Sara a message to figure out why this occurred, since every 532 on their site is a 360 welt, but I'm worried they aren't returning to the forum at this point. Color is crazy good though!

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they do a 360 flat welt? I’m wondering it’s only storm welt. They look great though so there is that.

adrs1157

Reaction score
Color 4 532 LWB on Oscar with double JR sole. My vision for these was a 360 flat welt, but the artisans for some ridiculous reason made them a 270 welt. I'm really unhappy with that since it looks odd on a long wing, but otherwise they did a solid job. I sent Sara a message to figure out why this occurred, since every 532 on their site is a 360 welt, but I'm worried they aren't returning to the forum at this point. Color is crazy good though!
View attachment 1323816
View attachment 1323817
View attachment 1323818
For what it's worth, those look incredible. I love the colour combination.

I have a pair of derbies on Oscar last that has a 360 flat welt and honestly from afar it looks like a 270 welt. For flat welts, Carmina uses a thinner thread and higher SPI on the outsole stitch, plus they stitch and trim very close to the upper. Honestly, the difference is hard to see unless you're looking for it.

360 VS 270 is much more noticeable on my Aldens because of the chunkier welt and edge work. Next to my chunky 360 flat welt Aldens, the carminas look super slim.

Were you going for a more structured lwb look?

serbarristan

Reaction score

I have a pair of derbies on Oscar last that has a 360 flat welt and honestly from afar it looks like a 270 welt. For flat welts, Carmina uses a thinner thread and higher SPI on the outsole stitch, plus they stitch and trim very close to the upper. Honestly, the difference is hard to see unless you're looking for it.

360 VS 270 is much more noticeable on my Aldens because of the chunkier welt and edge work. Next to my chunky 360 flat welt Aldens, the carminas look super slim.

Exactly. Pictured the 360 flat welt Alden look but with a sleeker Carmina approach looking good on a long wing. The welt is bothering me less every time I look at the uppers. That’s really interesting about the thinner thread - all my Carminas are flat welts so I haven’t seen their storm in person. Hoping to correct that soon with a storm jumper boot!

Last edited:

serbarristan

Reaction score

Fun thing I found while searching for other 270 LWB - Alden 270 LWB.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Exactly. Pictured the 360 flat welt Alden look but with a sleeker Carmina approach looking good on a long wing. The welt is bothering me less every time I look at the uppers. That’s really interesting about the thinner thread - all my Carminas are flat welts so I haven’t seen their storm in person. Hoping to correct that soon with a storm jumper boot!

I think they look fantastic. A flat welted long wing is already a more dressy look relative to a traditional American longwing. The 270 degree welt on your pair of Carminas just accentuates, in a subtle way, that distinction and I think it works well given how closely trimmed Carminas flat welts are. It's like a euro take on a classic longwing. On a much chunkier last it might not be quite as ideal but I think this makeup works well on the oscar.

mugenlove

Reaction score
I think they look fantastic. A flat welted long wing is already a more dressy look relative to a traditional American longwing. The 270 degree welt on your pair of Carminas just accentuates, in a subtle way, that distinction and I think it works well given how closely trimmed Carminas flat welts are. It's like a euro take on a classic longwing. On a much chunkier last it might not be quite as ideal but I think this makeup works well on the oscar.
Definitely agree. The makeup looks great! I’m sure there’s people who would happily take those off your hands ?

cardsfan89

Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm interested in a pair of navy shell 532s on Detroit EEE (https://www.carminashoemaker.us/mto-finished-2198/reddit-cordovan-navy-532), but I haven't tried Carmina's Detroit EEE before. It's unclear to me if I'd be able to return these if the sizing wasn't correct. Under 'Delivery and returns' it references a $35 return cost, but I also see that this shoe is under the MTO tab which I thought were not eligible for returns... Any insight is appreciated.

Also, from what I can tell in this thread Detroit EEE is wider than Forest EEE. Can anyone speak to approximately how much wider Detroit EEE is? I just purchased a pair of NSTs in 8UK Forest EEE and they're a bit snug. (For reference I wear 8.5 EEE in most Allen Edmonds lasts, with 511 and 201 being my best fits and 65 being inconsistent along my instep. 8-8.5 EEE in Grant Stone works well too.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads