Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by w.o.e.is.me., May 3, 2011.

1. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Betty mentioned that they close the Carmina factory the last week of July and the first week of August. As you say Namor; Europe is pretty much on vacation. Many manufacturing companies are closed or have very limited staff from mid July to mid August.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  2. pekingman

pekingman Well-Known Member

A bit late, but I just came across your post about the boots you bought in Amsterdam at Sir Max. Congratulations - they're real beauties.

Quick question for you .... Did they have much of a selection of Carmina? I am going to be in Amsterdam in September and might call in. From their web-site I can't see any mention of Carmina though ...

Apologies also that this is my first post to this thread and I haven't contributed with any Carmina p0rn ... I'll borrow a camera though and post a shot later of the snuff suede brogues I picked up at the Armoury earlier this summer ... [​IMG]

3. ncdobson

ncdobson Senior member

I sent questions a month ago, well before the vacation period started, and never got any response. Maybe Carmina is Alden-like in its customer service, while Meermin is more AE-esque.

4. sdolina

sdolina Senior member

No they didn't have much, but you'll find Carmina at Zwartjes shops on Utrechtsestraat 123 and Gelderlandplein 219[FONT=arial, sans-serif] ([/FONT]zwartjes.nl)
    At Sir Max they sell more of EG, G&G, C&J, Saint Crispins, Alden, Santoni, their private lable and a few Carminas + StefanoBi,

Sir Max is a must go, as well as few other shops (jojo, pauw, oger, meijers)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  5. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I think they are struggling to adapt to making direct sales to consumers, it’s pretty new to them and it’s a tough transition.

If you are not satisfied with the service you get from the Carmina factory then maybe you would consider contacting a Carmina Flagship Store or a Carmina reseller instead, they are listed on the Carmina website.

I’m not defending the fact that your e-mail has been unanswered, just providing a possible explanation and way forward for you if you are interested in Carmina.

6. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

be patient it takes s few emails with betty, but she was pretty good about fixing an issue for me when i received boots w/a cut on them so even though the whole purchase took forever, i was happy in the end

7. ncdobson

ncdobson Senior member

I once emailed the Paris store, but eventually got a reply from Betty anyway. I tried again when I got no response from the main email address, but this time I got no response at all. I considered calling the Paris store, but it's kind of a hassle from the US, & settling for the navy wholecuts was a pretty good fallback. I look forward to seeing your store online.

8. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I've emailed Betty a number of times for various things and have always gotten a response. Sometimes if I was just asking about stock it would take a while (up to a week) but in the end she would always respond. When I was working with her on a MTO shell purchase the emails were pretty quick. I'd either try to email her again or contact one of the retail stores directly if that is a possibility. To me the value of buying direct is worth the hassle of emailing back and forth.

9. mothball

mothball Senior member

New pair of wingtips on the Rain last.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Question for you guys--there are (chalk? ink?) marks on the shoes as shown below. I'm a little concerned about trying to remove them since they're so close to the suede. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

Thanks!

10. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

why?

11. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

If it is chalk it will come off easily with just your finger or maybe a Q-Tip. If it is something like crayon your best bet is to scrape it off with a better knife or your fingernail. Beautiful shoes though. My next purchase is definitely going to be a suede/calf combo.

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

inorite? i'm dissapointed the suede wasnt marked up as well. would have looked really nice

13. mothball

mothball Senior member

This made me laugh more than it should have:)

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

14. ncdobson

ncdobson Senior member

I agree completely. That's why I was disappointed that lots of 'forth' from me got nothing 'back' from her or anyone else at Carmina.

15. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Is it just the picture, or is there barely any chisel to the Rain last?