Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by w.o.e.is.me., May 3, 2011.

1. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

2. razl

razl Senior member

I got my first pair of Carmina's as barely lightly used second-hand from fellow member RedDevil10. I have to say I'm very smitten with the shoes; absolutely love the look and the construction but the Simpson last at UK9.5 is just too small svelte for my US10.5+ feet.

If I'm lucky enough that someone has a larger pair and wants to trade, let me know. Otherwise, if you're interested in taking them off my hands they're on B&S at the same price I got them for (see link in sig) - quite a steal!

[​IMG]

Either way, I'm definitely now turned on to the brand.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  3. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Those are gorgeous! I'm a 10.5uk unfortunately or else I would gladly take them. Glws and welcome to the Carmina club :slayer:

4. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

You only size down 1/2 from your TTS for the simpson last.

So if you're 10.5 TTS, you should be buying 10UK for the simpson.

9.5UK will work for you for Rain though.

5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

This assumes that a person can wear both Simpson and Rain comfortably at a 1/2 size apart. While it is true for some, it is absolutely not the case for many. Simpson is the narrowest (or near enough) Carmina last. Rain is among the widest. If you are like me - and have a wide forefoot and tall instep - and fill the volume of a Rain last shoe quite fully in a given size - you can forget about Simpson entirely.

6. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Gotcha.

What I was trying to get at is that the Simpson should be size down by no more than 1/2 size from your US TTS size. One full size down from the Simpson will not work for most people due to its narrow construction as you have mentioned.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  7. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

I tried doing that myself and the fit just wasn't "right". The width in the Simpdon was passable going up a half size but then the shoe itself was simply too long. I'll just stick with the Rain last. At $400 and up for a pair of Carminas I'd rather not compromise on fit.

8. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Anybody know if Carminas on the Simpson and Rain in similar models and sizes are the same length?

I was always under the impression that Simpson was an elongated last and Rain had less toe room and more width.

For example, would a black captoe oxford in a size 9.5 Simpson match the same model in a 9.5 Rain in the overall length of the shoe?

9. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior member

How would you guys compare Simpson, Rain and Alcudia? 10.5D US TTS, 9.5UK Alcudia, ____ Rain and _____ Simpson?

10. sarteaga

sarteaga Senior member

I almost jumped on these and I think you may be getting a PM soon...smh just bought a pair of loafers as well.

11. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I do appreciate you guys sending via the postal service and that you fill out the forms correctly. Nothing more irritating than having to play phone tag with fedex trade network and know you're going to end up paying $25 or so in fees plus customs charges for a delayed package.

I probably have a lifetime total of close to 100 international shipments received via postal service. I've been hit with customs charges twice and both of those were watches.

Also, having senders mark stuff as "gift" is actually counter productive. The duty free limit for gifts is $100/day versus the normal $200 exemption.
    https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/130/~/mail---duty-exemptions-on-gifts

When I order from overseas, I automatically figure in the potential customs charges and fees based on the courier. Better to be pleasantly surprised if not charged anything.

12. razl

razl Senior member

Sounds good!

13. techaview

techaview Senior member

Yes leaves I don't know what you guys did. Clearly the price on the receipt stated that is over the tax limit in Asia but I am not subjected to the taxes here which will cost me additional 27usd...

Maybe bonus for law abiding citizen :)

14. golfinz

golfinz Senior member

15. andrel42

andrel42 Senior member

Well let me tell you in Switzerland 100% of all parcels get taxed and if there is no paperwork they will inspect (open) the package and then delay the delivery and ask for an invoice after which they will add an inspection tax !
    That's maybe one of the reason sfor our flourishing (artificial?) economy :)
    Most parcels from Skoak will be taxed at approx 10% here + some CHF 20 fee so it's not really that bad !!