• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can assure you I am not Petrus, whoever that may be. I would like a bottle of Petrus though

This Carmina hype is just weird.

What hype are you talking about? People who own Carminas or have had the opportunity to evaluate the brand are giving their opinions. Plus, when a well-respected business like the Armoury is supplying a brand along with the likes of other brands that have a proven track record, such as G&G, it lends support to the conclusion that Carmina makes a solid shoe. Of course I would be interested in hearing negatives about the quality, if there are any, particulalry at its price point, but I don't see how a few threads, and one that is only 5 pages long with a few poasters giving praise to the brand for being overall a good value considered "hype."

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What hype are you talking about? People who own Carminas or have had the opportunity to evaluate the brand are giving their opinions. Plus, when a well-respected business like the Armoury is supplying a brand along with the likes of other brands that have a proven track record, such as G&G, it lends support to the conclusion that Carmina makes a solid shoe. Of course I would be interested in hearing negatives about the quality, if there are any, particulalry at its price point, but I don't see how a few threads, and one that is only 5 pages long with a few poasters giving praise to the brand for being overall a good value considered "hype."

+1, I have 1 pair of Carmina's, only got them about a month ago but they do hit the sweet spot for someone who was not all that impressed with C&J but wouls rather 2 pair's of $500 shoes that are quality as opposed to 1 pair of Eddie Greens or something equivalent.

The last on mine (and what I can see of the others on the armoury site) are very elegant, and so far the leathers are great, they are comfy and have worn in perfectly. Time will tell of course and 1 month is hard to gauge a complete review, but it is still real world experience. The guy moaning about them above, if you don't like them don't buy them. Prob a mute argument though as you seem to be fairly negative about shoes in general (after reading the Grenson thread also).

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
On a much less inflammatory note...some real gems from Carmina's Paris store. The guys there were a real pleasure to speak with, as well.

img_3106.jpg

those green shoes are fantastic!!!!!!

Last edited:

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have three pairs on the Simpson last - black, dark brown and suede oxfords - and love 'em. They fit my foot well, and I prefer them to my C&J Audleys. Not a quality issue but the C&J 337 looks a bit too elongated when compared to the Simpson. The Simpson hits the sweet spot in terms of shape and cost for me.

I also have a pair of split toes on the Inca last. I get compliments on them but as I wear them I'm finding that they look too elongated and I'll probably avoid this last in the future.

In terms of quality I have nothing bad to say about Carmina. Granted I'm not the kind of person to rip a shoe apart to see what makes it tick so I'm likely oblivious to the nuances that put a brand like, say, EG above Carmina but for me they are enough... Though if I have a good year I may splurge on some EG Dovers at the next Leffot trunk show, and will possibly become spoiled. :satisfied:

Last edited:

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Pliny
Banis: is that stitched upper monk in the centre (above) the one you're wearing in conservative business dress thread today?

It looks absolutely fantastic. If yes details?

Can u comment on whether Carmina are gemmed? How much hand-work goes into them?
lasting? stitched feather? welting? thx

Yes, those are the same shoes, albeit on the display are shown in cognac colour and mine are in ruby. Both are on the Simpson last.

I don't know whether Carmina is gemmed or not and I don't have information about amount of handwork. I may ask Betty Albaladejo those questions, if she agrees to answer them. As for welting, all Carmina's shoes are Goodyear. They also indicate that women shoes are goodywear welted. Here is a pic of shoes that I bought for my wife.
1247690505_9LJdU-XL.jpg

1247690414_An7oQ-XL.jpg
Carmina told me their women's line is made by Edward Green

countbaron

Reaction score

+1, I have 1 pair of Carmina's, only got them about a month ago but they do hit the sweet spot for someone who was not all that impressed with C&J but wouls rather 2 pair's of $500 shoes that are quality as opposed to 1 pair of Eddie Greens or something equivalent.

The last on mine (and what I can see of the others on the armoury site) are very elegant, and so far the leathers are great, they are comfy and have worn in perfectly. Time will tell of course and 1 month is hard to gauge a complete review, but it is still real world experience. The guy moaning about them above, if you don't like them don't buy them. Prob a mute argument though as you seem to be fairly negative about shoes in general (after reading the Grenson thread also).

You may be pleased to know that I do not consider you part of the Carmina bandwagon. You seem too 'genuine' for that.

As for Grenson, the situation is simple they are currently low quality shoes.
To say I am fairly negative about shoes is an idiotic statement if for nothing else because I am selling them here (see my post history). It is just that I don't like BS and hate when people try to pass commercial messages as honest opinions

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have the suede double monk in this photo... love it. purchased at the Carmina shop in Palma for 200 euros ~ 2 to 3 years ago

countbaron

Reaction score

Wow- I didn't know EG made women shoes. It must be a secret operation. Where can I buy them in the UK, is a catalog available?-

I like to cross dress you know

Breaking news. I checked with some guy from Carmina and he said that Carmina men's shoes are also made by EG.

Given the recent EG quality issues discussed in this forum I dont think it is a good idea to buy Carmina's. Lets stick to Vass

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am probably being paranoid but there is this big timer Spoo fella in the Balearic Islands, which by coincidence is where Carmina are based

Carmina is from the Balearic islands?

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is the relevant portion of an AAAC thread from 2006 regarding Carmina shoes:

KenCPollock

March 24th, 2006, 16:10

For some pictures of a pair I got in Paris in November 2004, look here (at the heavier brogue; the captoe is an Aubercy which cost nearly 2 1/2 times as much).
http://styleforum.net./showthread.php?t=6386&highlight=pollock

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roger

March 24th, 2006, 18:51

Mr. Pollock, as one of the true shoe connoiseurs on these fora and owner of more shoes than the Canadian army, how do you feel the Carmina shoes stack up against the usual RTW high-end suspects--EG, JLobb, Vass, et al.? I guess I'm wondering about quality of leather, quality of workmanship, style, comfort, handwork touches, etc.

Vancouver

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KenCPollock

March 24th, 2006, 21:36

I think I would rate basic Carminas pictured herein just a 1/2 notch below C&J handgrades and Grenson Masterpieces and about a 1/2 notch above Alden, Peal and C&J benchmades. The high toecap is similiar to Vass.
However, the "naked" Carmina I bought last November, with the one-week long "special" antiquing thereafter applied thereto by the shop, was as unique and thrilling a Parisian experience as was eight days of shopping and dining with Ernest and Katia-really unique and well worth twice the 350 Euro price. The leather and construction may not quite be up to EG or J&M Handmade quality, but the finish is so spectacular that owing a pair should be a forum requirement to be a member of the "super forum" league. I know that AlanC posted pictures of them for me on one of the forums for me, but I cannot find them.

I'm not sure how a shoe could be considered below grenson masterpieces (Mr. Pollock's opinion) but on par with EG. Although, as I sad earlier, I suppose the quality could have gotten a litte better in the last 5 years. . .

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here is the relevant portion of an AAAC thread from 2006 regarding Carmina shoes:

KenCPollock

March 24th, 2006, 21:36

I think I would rate basic Carminas pictured herein just a 1/2 notch below C&J handgrades and Grenson Masterpieces and about a 1/2 notch above Alden, Peal and C&J benchmades.

This was my understanding, and why i've ordered a pair.

They're in a nice mid-range price and quality tier. Very good value, but i'm not expecting to get a $1500 shoe for $575.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Interesting. The one thing I have to say in regards to that, is that evidently a whole lot can change in 5 years in the shoe business. Since that post, G&G has been created, we have had massive exposure to Vass, and Grenson Masterpiece is essentially defunct. I am not saying that what KP said is even remotely incorrect, but since I never handled Carmina up until now, I really can only comment on what I have seen. In my opinion, I would put them above C&J handgrade, personally. They may be made to a higher standard though for The Armoury? I am not sure. Thanks for pulling that up though, it is always interesting to see some necroposts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads