Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by w.o.e.is.me., May 3, 2011.

1. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

2. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Well done! Great combo.

3. Tim Whatley

Tim Whatley Active Member

These are 11.5 in US sizes

4. Tim Whatley

I tried on some Carminas at a local department storerecently, and the SA told me that the shoes in the Simpson last that he was selling were width EE, and that he had gotten them wider on purpose, which is wider than the standard E width. But they felt very snug. I asked Betty via email and she said they don't offer the Simpson in EE. Has anyone heard of or seen a Simpson with a EE width or was the SA full of it?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  5. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior member

I had a similar encounter. Going to send you a PM about it.

Edit: I didn't want to put the store on blast, but thought I'd get some feedback on this too.

I went to a local department store (probably the same one, given your location Tim Whatley) and tried on a Simpson balmoral austerity brogue in what the SA told me was "narrow Simpson." It fit like a dream (little bit of separation in the V of the vamp and heel was perfectly snug), but since I confirmed on here and through Skoak that there was no such thing as "narrow Simpson," rather just one standard Simpson last, I got the same size in a Simpson balmoral captoe online. However, these fit 0.5-1 size big (vamp closes all the way and there is about 1-finger breadth of room all the way around my ankle and heel).

Anybody have similar experiences? I know the same last in different style shoes may fit differently (ie. oxford vs derby), but since these were both oxfords, I was surprised that the fit was so off - almost as if they were completely different shoes or sizes.

6. Tim Whatley

Another question: maybe it was just the pair I received but the brown was very dark, too dark for my taste. Has anyone else had that experience?

7. NativeTxn

NativeTxn Well-Known Member

The pair I just got are quite dark brown - darker than I was expecting. Not so dark that I don't like them or won't keep them though, but yes, they were darker than I was thinking they would be.

8. Tim Whatley

It was the same store. He liked referring to the sizes in us sizes, probably trying to avoid confusing the average customer, maybe you were referring to UK sizes while he was converting them to US sizes. That would explain the full size discrepancy

9. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior member

That might be it. I remember double-checking the box and shoe, but my memory may deceive me. I'll have to go back in to confirm. Would be a pretty stupid mistake on my part if that's the case [​IMG]

10. Tim Whatley

Is there any way he could have gotten the shoes and box printed in US sizes?

11. Tim Whatley

Carminas site says they have a collection service for exchanging shoes. Does anyone have experience with this? Prices etc.

Also, what is the best way to send them back? When I say best I guess I mean cheapest.

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ oh shit, its the one who knocks

13. Tim Whatley

^ Tim Whatley, not W.W.

14. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior member

In case anybody was interested in this:

I went back to the local boutique and compared my two Simpson last oxfords. Both were indeed the same size - 8UK. The austerity brogues fit great. The captoe oxfords fit great in the ball and toebox, but there was much more room in the instep and heel. Seems like there is just more variation than I expected between different styles in the same last and size, despite both being oxfords.

15. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

This is a key point I don't think enough people pay attention to. The geometry of the shoe and its construction also play a role in the fit, not just the last. I take an 8D in the Barrie last (Alden) for shell boots, but the same last/size in a PCT is way too tight, or at least was in the shop I tried. The 8E is what I needed, even though it is the exact same last.

Leather type, lined/unlined, vamp/tongue stitching....all play a part in sizing.

I wear a size 7.5UK in the Oscar last, and even though Carmina said I could stick with that size for the Soller, I'm thinking an unlined, suede chelsea boot would feet even looser, so I should drop down a size. The elastic and the longer last (compared to Oscar) would probably give me a looser shoe.