• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

greasymonkey

Reaction score

Thats two. I believe we need atleast 6 to qualify for a GMTO. I still need to check for the attributes that can be changed.
Anybody else interested in a pair of burgundy cordovan oxfords (Simpson) ?

Just a note of caution that GMTO for cordovan has been put on hold as a result of shortage of cordovan leather until further notice.

Skoaktiebolaget

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Okay - I think we might just be using different terms to describe the same thing. You don't describe the Simpson last as narrow fitting, per se, but agree that from a company that makes something in the order of two dozen lasts, none fit narrower than Simpson.
I think this might be the case. I refrain from using the word "narrow" as Carmina themselves describe the Simpson last as an E-width.

SimplyLime

Reaction score
Is it just me or the more I look at these kinds of shoes, the uglier AE/alden/etc look.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not sure which one you are referring to since you have posted this same comment in three separate threads. For me personally I don't find either to look less attractive in comparison. Each brands have their own strengths and weaknesses and I judge them on their own merit abd value to me

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Not sure which one you are referring to since you have posted this same comment in three separate threads. For me personally I don't find either to look less attractive in comparison. Each brands have their own strengths and weaknesses and I judge them on their own merit abd value to me

I was just going to say that. I just saw the same comment on a couple of my subscriptions, haha.

SimplyLime

Reaction score

I referred to these 4 brands I posted to.

EG, G&G, Vass and Carmina. There are still others but I think you get the message.

It's just that the more I look at these shoes at this price range, the less I value brands like
AE and alden in terms of style.

Yes each brand has their own strength and weaknesses but
when we are talking in this price range I bet there is a little to none
difference in quality. I am purely talking here about aesthetics.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

EG, G&G, Vass and Carmina. There are still others but I think you get the message.

It's just that the more I look at these shoes at this price range, the less I value brands like

I don't feel that a more expensive shoe always looks better than a cheaper shoe. YMMV. I think you are seeing some of the quality in these shoes that makes them look better.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In terms of price, if I'm not mistaken, there is a bit of a step up from AE to Alden, and then another small (but quickly narrowing) step up between Alden and Carmina, and then another step up to some of the other brands you mentioned. I mean, calf AE's cost like $350, if i'm not mistaken. Calf EG or G&G cost many more times over, if i'm not mistaken.

Also, in terms of quality, I think there is a step up between AE and Alden. (Quality, not quality control, but quality of materials and construction method). Then another step up in construction quality (mainly finish and attention to detail) between Alden and Carmina. Not much experience with other brands mentioned, but I imagine the trend continues

I guess what i'm trying to say is that AE and EG/GG are not in the same category in either price or quality. I wouldn't even say that AE and Carmina are comparable. AE and Alden, maybe, but to me, there is a noticeable difference in price and quality.

For me personally, I want something a little bit nicer than AE and am willing to pay more to get it. EG and GG is too rich for my blood (and to sleek/dainty). Alden and Carmina (the fuller lasts) are the sweet spot for me.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

In terms of price, if I'm not mistaken, there is a bit of a step up from AE to Alden, and then another small (but quickly narrowing) step up between Alden and Carmina, and then another step up to some of the other brands you mentioned.  I mean, calf AE's cost like $350, if i'm not mistaken.  Calf EG or G&G cost many more times over, if i'm not mistaken.

Also, in terms of quality, I think there is a step up between AE and Alden.  (Quality, not quality control, but quality of materials and construction method). Then another step up in construction quality (mainly finish and attention to detail) between Alden and Carmina.  Not much experience with other brands mentioned, but I imagine the trend continues

I guess what i'm trying to say is that AE and EG/GG are not in the same category in either price or quality.  I wouldn't even say that AE and Carmina are comparable.  AE and Alden, maybe, but to me, there is a noticeable difference in price and quality.

For me personally, I want something a little bit nicer than AE and am willing to pay more to get it.  EG and GG is too rich for my blood (and to sleek/dainty).  Alden and Carmina (the fuller lasts) are the sweet spot for me.

You know you aren't, haha!

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on who you order from, Carmina calf and suede are now a good deal less expensive than their Alden counterparts. Even on sale at $368, I've held off on Epaulet's Alden Salzburger blucher because I would rather put the money towards a Carmina model for not that much more.

Last edited:

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know you aren't, haha!

Depending on who you order from, Carmina calf and suede are now a good deal less expensive than their Alden counterparts. Even on sale at $368, I've held off on Epaulet's Alden Salzburger blucher because I would rather put the money towards a Carmina model for not that much more.

You see Tif, this is why I wanted to qualify my statements. (Just in case I actually am mistaken.)

It doesn't happen very often, quite the opposite, actually, but about once every few years I say something that might not be entirely correct in 100% of all instances.

In all seriousness though, Buda is correct. For example, Carmina Suede loafers from Gentlemans Footwear vs Alden Suede loafers form Leffot.

Last edited:

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And Carmina shell (especially in interesting colors) is now less than Alden and on par with AE.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
We're planning an MTO over at the Gentlemen's Footwear affiliate thread. Anyone interested?

X-post:

Hello guys,

It's a real classic we're going with this time: A simple, dark brown suede chukka with three eyelets.

Specifications:

Model: 80176
Last: Soller
Dark brown (chocolate) suede
Single Dainite sole

It'll look like the chukka on the picture below, although with three eyelets:

Here's another picture. This time with three eyelets, although not in dark brown suede:

Contact @steveyoo1983 if you're interested! These chukkas will be awesome for the coming fall!
smile.gif

Last edited:

unipair guy

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

We have two cordovan models on sale at this time. The 922 on rain last. Saddle(light brown) and Cognac(Brown)
Saddle 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7, 8, 8.5UK
Cognac 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5, 9.5UK
Please pm me for price and availability.

Last edited:

ScottMC

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am looking to buy my first pair of Carmina. The use of the shoe will be business (very) casual at work and the occasional shopping trip on the weekends. What would you guys suggest between these two: The loafer is on Uetam and I believe the Semi-Brogue is on Rain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads