Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by w.o.e.is.me., May 3, 2011.

1. europrep

europrep Distinguished Member

Nice tip. If they only had them available on the on-line store

2. ktown

ktown Senior Member

Does anyone have experience with both the Carmina Rain last and the Vass U last? I want to buy a black cap toe and I really like the Old English from Vass on the U last. But if a Carmina Rain-lasted version looks pretty similar I may consider it.

3. JezeC

JezeC Distinguished Member

I haven't dealt with the u-last before but most people usually go up half a size from their TTS size, so the U-last is probably closer to the Simpson last than the Rain last.

4. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Distinguished Member

I'd say U is more like Simpson. Not sure if these really help, but here they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Distinguished Member

Here we go. From left to right in the first picture (sorry for the crappy pictures): U (EU41,5), Rain (UK7,5), Simpson (UK8).

The U-last is the black Old English plain model you're contemplating. If U-last or Rain fits you good, Simpson will not fit accordingly. If you require high instep, don't consider Simpson. If you're feet are on the wider side of the spectrum, choose U-last as the waist is wider. And for the record, in terms of quality/price ratio, Vass is definitely a better investment. Actually, Vass may be the best investment on the market in terms of quality/price ratio.

6. ktown

ktown Senior Member

Can't see the pics at work but I'll check later on tonight. Thanks! I'm definitely leaning more towards Vass. I will probably buy from Ascot rather than the group MTO because they're the same price, it's in stock now, and I can return it if it doesn't fit.

7. MGD83

MGD83 Distinguished Member

I disagree with above - Enzo Bonafe shoes are just as good and just as reasonably priced. Also, they have a great MTO program.

8. DonRaphael

Isn't Bonafé pricier? Also, Vass' MTO program is great too, and cheap. They'll even abstain from the MTO charge of the changes are minor from what they offer as standards, which are alot. I've never owned any Bonafés so I can't compare. Obviously my conclusion is derived from my experience (C&J, Vass, Carmina, AS, G&G, E&G). Might have forgot something.

9. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Distinguished Member

FWIW, that's not true in my case - I went up a half-size from Rain for my Simpson-lasted shoes (bals no less) and they fit me great, even with a high instep.

Last edited: May 22, 2014

10. DonRaphael

Well, there you go. My experience is that Simpson don't fit me (as) well as the U-last because of the instep. From the three lasts mentioned above, U fit me the best. It hugs my foot. Rain pinches my pinky toe and Simpson, well something is just off compared to the U-last.

11. DonRaphael

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No problem. Better?

As you can see there's a great variation in color between the two Carmina shoes. Although both are Dark brown (Natur Marron). The Carminas have been used appr. 6-10 times. The Vass is 4 years old and frequently used.

Last edited: May 22, 2014

12. PinkPantser

PinkPantser Distinguished Member

been wearing these rain lasted chelsea boots a lot lately, breaking in nicely

[​IMG]

13. NiFTY

NiFTY Senior Member

My favourite purchase from recent wedding trip to Italy/Paris.

Carmina double monks in shell (no. 4?)

Store in Paris was incredible, great service from sales assistant (Miko), not intrusive when browsing and she even polished my shell riderboot chukkas for free which had been savaged by the uneven cobbles in Rome/Milan/Paris over the preceding 3 weeks, even before i had made a purchase.

Would not hesitate to go back and spend a tonne of cash there. Was also keen to get to Septieme Largeur but was running out of credit card after carmina. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2014

14. unipair guy

unipair guy Affiliate Vendor

I am not sure if that is some variation of burgundy but I want it! [​IMG]

15. Journeyman

Journeyman Distinguished Member