• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well said.  I've never understood all the chatter about Dainite being poor in winter.  Snow and ice must be different where I live.  Way better than leather, in my experience - and differences between it and other synthetics amount to splitting hairs.

Oddly enough, I was just reading a novel last night where the protagonist was extoling the virtues of Dainite soles on his Cheaney shoes.  No, I'm not making that up.

During fall and winter in the northeast, I am always nervous leaving the house in leather-soled shoes, even when the weather seems to be ok. It can change quite quickly and while I have SWIMS, I don't always carry them along with me. I have never had an issue with Dainite - they have performed exceptionally well for me in the rain and light snow. Few people can tell the soles are not leather. Moreover, they are comfortable. Some people seem to hate Dainite, but I've never had a bad experience.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

During fall and winter in the northeast, I am always nervous leaving the house in leather-soled shoes, even when the weather seems to be ok. It can change quite quickly and while I have SWIMS, I don't always carry them along with me. I have never had an issue with Dainite - they have performed exceptionally well for me in the rain and light snow. Few people can tell the soles are not leather. Moreover, they are comfortable. Some people seem to hate Dainite, but I've never had a bad experience.

Ditto, which is why I prefer Dainite on a boot that I only wear in fall/winter. Not to mention the rubber grip helps on the slippery subway platform and escalators.

Last edited:

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again I agree with all of you, but I don't find Dainite to have a better performance than a double leather with vibram cover. The vibram cover makes it cheaper to change rather than resoling a Dainite, which is an expensive procedure. That is why given the choice I tend to avoid Dainite, although I'm happy with it on the pair of boots I do have.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Again I agree with all of you, but I don't find Dainite to have a better performance than a double leather with vibram cover. The vibram cover makes it cheaper to change rather than resoling a Dainite, which is an expensive procedure. That is why given the choice I tend to avoid Dainite, although I'm happy with it on the pair of boots I do have.
But doesn't the rain/snow soak the leather under and around the sole and edges? Also, isn't double leather with a cover going to create a very thick profile? I guess we all have our own preferences.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This.

Ditto, which is why I prefer Dainite on a boot that I only wear in fall/winter. Not to mention the rubber grip helps on the slippery subway platform and escalators.

And this. Leather soled shoes can be downright treacherous when traversing the wet, slushy steps and marble floors of the two train stations that bracket my morning commute.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My thoughts too

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
M
This.

And this.  Leather soled shoes can be downright treacherous when traversing the wet, slushy steps and marble floors of the two train stations that bracket my morning commute.
. My best working theory: People who live in places that don't usually require Dainite tend not to appreciate Dainite. That said, I gather MShapiro being in London shoots that one down a bit...

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But doesn't the rain/snow soak the leather under and around the sole and edges? Also, isn't double leather with a cover going to create a very thick profile? I guess we all have our own preferences.
Never been a problem as for the soaking. I tend to coat the exposed leather piece with either a water repellent or edge dressing.

Double leather is just my preference. I tended to prefer heavy boots for clinging to the ground when I was in Boston and the government housing failed to remove its ice from the sidewalks. I had a bad fall in Oakley combat boots once there and it was awful.
On a personal note I also am shorter and prefer that the double leather adds a little height. The rubber cover doesn't add to that profile. I have found single leather to be just as effective.

My biggest issue with is just the replacement cost. When I wear down a Dainite sole I need to replace the entire sole versus just the rubber cover. Why buy something that will cost you more down the line given the choice? I would never say no to a Dainite sole (actually the Carmina is the best in my limited experience) but I don't get it on any of my MTOs.

Edit: Budapest12 I've spent the past three years in Boston, NYC and London. Enough rain and dark clouds for a life time
cloud.gif

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone know if navy cxl is the same color as the navy calf that carmina uses

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know it's different leathers, I'm wondering how the colors are relative to each other. (If one is darker or whatnot)

Just wondering because I saw leffots navy CXL boot

unipair guy

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Our favorites for fall. These will work with denim or wool pants.
Unipair Guy

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads