• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...and we are thinking of doing this model in navy cordovan also. Curious to know if people would want open or closed lacing on this model. Please let us know what you think would look better.
I prefer closed lacing...but that shoe would be bad for my wallet...:satisfied:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Late night at the office.

Breaking in first pair of carminas. I am smitten by them, though my creasing is just below the wingtip cap line running through the peak. I hope that is as far as it goes. These fit great but run longer than I would like in length.

What's the last?

WiredandTired

Reaction score
Rain last, probably the same model as the one unpaid just posted. Half size down was a bit cramped in the toes.

I'll live with it regardless, creasing isn't a huge deal until its literally on the toe.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ you sized rain down 1/2? Not the full size? And still felt cramped?

spicycho

Reaction score
are those the shell 922's? I just got mine, going to see how they fit and if I will keep them. Needed to know my size in Rain for MTO's.

WiredandTired

Reaction score

are those the shell 922's? I just got mine, going to see how they fit and if I will keep them. Needed to know my size in Rain for MTO's.

Indeed they are, light cognac shell. Crossing my fingers they work for you as well. I'm happy with the caramel color and it is my first really chiseled last shoe.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Typo, sized down full size at first. What I have now is sized down half.

When you say you first sized down a full size for Rain, do you mean a full size compared to other Carmina lasts, or a full size down from your standard US size?

WiredandTired

Reaction score
Sized down 1 from standard US size as recommended by most retailers at the beginning. Width was okay when sizing down 1 but I was iffy on the toe space, I opted to go down half a size from US sizing for my next shoe.

From reading sizing threads, the toe box never really stretches, so I opted to be safe than sorry. It's YMMV. I could probably pull off 1 full size down for inca due to the rounded toe instead of the soft chisel toe of rain.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks for the info. I have narrow feet so it's always difficult to figure out my size with standard width shoes. I wear a narrow 12.5 and I can wear a 12 in some shoes depending on the last. I might try an 11UK on the Rain. I tried an 11.5UK on the Inca once before I knew any better, and that was definitely too big.

WiredandTired

Reaction score

Cool thanks for the info. I have narrow feet so it's always difficult to figure out my size with standard width shoes. I wear a narrow 12.5 and I can wear a 12 in some shoes depending on the last. I might try an 11UK on the Rain. I tried an 11.5UK on the Inca once before I knew any better, and that was definitely too big.

I would take my sizing with a grain of salt as I am a 8E, wide instead of your narrow. I was already nervous about sizing in rain.

If you don't already know, I would point you towards Simpson last. Leatherfoot in Canada seems to love this last. 80 percent of their carmina is in Simpson. This unfortunately disqualifies me from ordering from them. I am unsure what customs would look like if ordering carmina from Canada.

spicycho

Reaction score
Indeed they are, light cognac shell. Crossing my fingers they work for you as well. I'm happy with the caramel color and it is my first really chiseled last shoe.
Did you get them from farfetch? I had just bought my first pair of Carminas from that site about two weeks ago, the black captoe on the simpson last. They were a good fit so I went for the shell 922's since they were also on sale. Knowing customs fees were covered, the sale price made them too good to pass up. I think they are a good fit in 8UK, similar to my captoe with a bit more width. If I went with a 7.5 I think it would have been too tight. Both lasts seem friendly to my very high instep so I'll stick to those if I buy again. There is definitely some room in the toe one both lasts for me, but I don't think there will be any creasing on the toe either. Chisel lasted shoes are just like that. I don't have a brown shoe currently, only two black ones and an alden #8, so I think I will be hanging on to these. The color is very nice and should only improve with some wear.

Last edited:

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would take my sizing with a grain of salt as I am a 8E, wide instead of your narrow. I was already nervous about sizing in rain.

If you don't already know, I would point you towards Simpson last. Leatherfoot in Canada seems to love this last. 80 percent of their carmina is in Simpson. This unfortunately disqualifies me from ordering from them. I am unsure what customs would look like if ordering carmina from Canada.

I actually have a pair of Carmina in the Armoury last from Skoak on the way to me right now, which is apparently even narrower than Simpson. So I'm gonna wait and see how those fit before I get anything else. I did see that Farfetch still has a pair of those cognac wingtips on sale in size 11UK, so I had been thinking about picking those up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads