Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by w.o.e.is.me., May 3, 2011.

1. mp1472

mp1472 Senior member

^^^

2. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

I prefer closed lacing...but that shoe would be bad for my wallet...:satisfied:

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

What's the last?

4. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

Rain last, probably the same model as the one unpaid just posted. Half size down was a bit cramped in the toes.

I'll live with it regardless, creasing isn't a huge deal until its literally on the toe.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ you sized rain down 1/2? Not the full size? And still felt cramped?

6. WiredandTired

Typo, sized down full size at first. What I have now is sized down half.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  7. spicycho

spicycho Senior member

are those the shell 922's? I just got mine, going to see how they fit and if I will keep them. Needed to know my size in Rain for MTO's.

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Let us know how you like them

9. WiredandTired

Indeed they are, light cognac shell. Crossing my fingers they work for you as well. I'm happy with the caramel color and it is my first really chiseled last shoe.

10. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

When you say you first sized down a full size for Rain, do you mean a full size compared to other Carmina lasts, or a full size down from your standard US size?

11. WiredandTired

Sized down 1 from standard US size as recommended by most retailers at the beginning. Width was okay when sizing down 1 but I was iffy on the toe space, I opted to go down half a size from US sizing for my next shoe.

From reading sizing threads, the toe box never really stretches, so I opted to be safe than sorry. It's YMMV. I could probably pull off 1 full size down for inca due to the rounded toe instead of the soft chisel toe of rain.

12. Beatlegeuse

Cool thanks for the info. I have narrow feet so it's always difficult to figure out my size with standard width shoes. I wear a narrow 12.5 and I can wear a 12 in some shoes depending on the last. I might try an 11UK on the Rain. I tried an 11.5UK on the Inca once before I knew any better, and that was definitely too big.

13. WiredandTired

I would take my sizing with a grain of salt as I am a 8E, wide instead of your narrow. I was already nervous about sizing in rain.

If you don't already know, I would point you towards Simpson last. Leatherfoot in Canada seems to love this last. 80 percent of their carmina is in Simpson. This unfortunately disqualifies me from ordering from them. I am unsure what customs would look like if ordering carmina from Canada.

14. spicycho

spicycho Senior member

Did you get them from farfetch? I had just bought my first pair of Carminas from that site about two weeks ago, the black captoe on the simpson last. They were a good fit so I went for the shell 922's since they were also on sale. Knowing customs fees were covered, the sale price made them too good to pass up. I think they are a good fit in 8UK, similar to my captoe with a bit more width. If I went with a 7.5 I think it would have been too tight. Both lasts seem friendly to my very high instep so I'll stick to those if I buy again. There is definitely some room in the toe one both lasts for me, but I don't think there will be any creasing on the toe either. Chisel lasted shoes are just like that. I don't have a brown shoe currently, only two black ones and an alden #8, so I think I will be hanging on to these. The color is very nice and should only improve with some wear.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  15. Beatlegeuse

I actually have a pair of Carmina in the Armoury last from Skoak on the way to me right now, which is apparently even narrower than Simpson. So I'm gonna wait and see how those fit before I get anything else. I did see that Farfetch still has a pair of those cognac wingtips on sale in size 11UK, so I had been thinking about picking those up.