• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t see how one would be able to do a complete whole cut on any larger sizes. This is what mine look like.View attachment 1611929
I suppose it’s possible but as has been discussed elsewhere shell would be a bad material to try and do a wholecut chelsea with unless you were going bespoke.

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I recall, the failure rate on the few pairs of Carminas in the wild was very high. This is why they don't make wholecut chelseas anymore in shell.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They won't do a wholecut Chelsea in shell, so make sure you didn't pick that model number
As I recall, the failure rate on the few pairs of Carminas in the wild was very high. This is why they don't make wholecut chelseas anymore in shell.
Yes, I think that is correct.

Carmina has previously made limited runs of wholecut shell cordovan chelsea boots, and also did a wholecut shell lace-up boot. However, due to difficulties with properly lasting the boots, they stopped doing so.

Here are a couple of examples from a years back, posted by another StyleForum member:

Smooth Operator

Reaction score
Anyone had experience with JR soled Carmina's comparing to their regular leather sole? I noticed around $70 AUD more for the JR sole shoes. Is the JR sole that much better than Carmina Soles? I read that JR are the best of the best but is it $70 better or just paying for the brand? Thanks in advance ✌

Patrick1053

Reaction score
Anyone had experience with JR soled Carmina's comparing to their regular leather sole? I noticed around $70 AUD more for the JR sole shoes. Is the JR sole that much better than Carmina Soles? I read that JR are the best of the best but is it $70 better or just paying for the brand? Thanks in advance ✌
I haven't tried any regular Carmina leather soles, but comparing JR soles to other brand base sole. The JR sole is noticeably longer lasting.

Reaction score
To those in the US who have bought from their eBay store, how long does it take to receive the shoes? Also, I know that there are no import duties if the item is below $800, but are there any other hidden fees?

Patrick1053

Reaction score
To those in the US who have bought from their eBay store, how long does it take to receive the shoes? Also, I know that there are no import duties if the item is below $800, but are there any other hidden fees?
Mine shipped the next day, and arrived 2 days later. There were no hidden fees for me. Just the eBay price plus shipping, which is clearly displayed on ebay. There was nothing else (there is no state tax on shoes for me either)

Reaction score
Mine shipped the next day, and arrived 2 days later. There were no hidden fees for me. Just the eBay price plus shipping, which is clearly displayed on ebay. There was nothing else (there is no state tax on shoes for me either)
Wow, 2 days is fast! Estimated date of arrival for mine is between June and July. I hope I don't have to wait THAT long. Amazon spoils me...

nareichert

Reaction score
MTO Chelsea boots today. Snuff suede and brown elastic. Inca last.View attachment 1612972
The Inca last looks really nice. I am trying to put together an MTO Chelsea boot, but would appreciate some help on the last and sizing choice. I'm a high volume 12.5D Brannock and thought an 11 on the Soller would be my choice moving forward but ended up trying on a pair and there was not enough volume. What would something similar to a soller with more volume be? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Patrick1053

Reaction score
The Inca last looks really nice. I am trying to put together an MTO Chelsea boot, but would appreciate some help on the last and sizing choice. I'm a high volume 12.5D Brannock and thought an 11 on the Soller would be my choice moving forward but ended up trying on a pair and there was not enough volume. What would something similar to a soller with more volume be? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sounds like you should go a half size up.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.