• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Go with the Tomir. Won't regret it. Extremely sleek. I too used to Topy before this option.

Cordovan Tomir vs. Suede Topy, both Carmina Uetam

View attachment 1583397
Almost exactly the same thickness. These are all Tomir:
View attachment 1583387 View attachment 1583388 View attachment 1583390

Thanks guys! Went with the Tomir. It seems slightly thicker and also lacks closed channel stitching, otherwise I'd need to pay about €50 extra for the topy (plus rubber heel). Feel like it's more worth it this way. Also, I tend to ruin the toe part pretty quickly, so the thicker rubber sole of the Tomir in the toe part will hold better than the thinner Topy one.

I did as earlier stated in the thread (also asked Carmina on Instagram about this): I chose a model that looks similar to 80191 (I chose 80440, as it also is a penny loafer). I wrote in the special request section that I'd like it the 80191 model and Uetam EE last. Do they confirm this in any way? First time for me doing an MTO without the correct model nor last chosen from the beginning.

RajunCajun

Reaction score
Hello. If I buy a Uetam last in their standard width would it be too tight? I normally where an 11.5 in most shoe brand's standard width. My foot is a little wide but I don't need wide shoes. For reference I'm good in a A&E Grayson loafer size 11D but if it's any narrower than that it might be too tight.

Last edited:

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tomir

VB2.jpeg

DrewMill

Reaction score
Hi, all. Looking for some sizing advice. Here are my comparable sizes

Allen Edmonds: 11D 65 Last
Meermin: 10.5E Hiro Last
Cheaney: 10F 125 Last, 10.5F 146 Last
Beckett Simonon: 11D

Looking for advice on Rain and Forest sizing (I think)

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, all. Looking for some sizing advice. Here are my comparable sizes

Allen Edmonds: 11D 65 Last
Meermin: 10.5E Hiro Last
Cheaney: 10F 125 Last, 10.5F 146 Last
Beckett Simonon: 11D

Looking for advice on Rain and Forest sizing (I think)
I've tried the top one and the bottom one. Rain had a higher instep than either, is more elongated, but has a little narrowness in the toe box. Forest is wider and shorter than rain, so probably a little closer to an AE last

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed fit differences between storm and flat welted Carminas on the same last?

I have 2 pairs of shell boots on the soller last - one flat, one storm - the storm welted pair seem a little looser. I also have a suede pair of shoes on a flat welt that are snug (hard to compare b/c of the suede and shoe vs. boot).

I also have 2 pairs of shell shoes on the oscar last - one 9.5 pair on a flat welt, one 9 pair on a storm welt - while the 9.5 feels a little longer, the width and instep fit is nearly the same between these two pairs, which is unexpected.

Anyone else notice anything like this before? Is this real? Or is it more likely a coincidence and just pair-to-pair variation?

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed fit differences between storm and flat welted Carminas on the same last?

I have 2 pairs of shell boots on the soller last - one flat, one storm - the storm welted pair seem a little looser. I also have a suede pair of shoes on a flat welt that are snug (hard to compare b/c of the suede and shoe vs. boot).

I also have 2 pairs of shell shoes on the oscar last - one 9.5 pair on a flat welt, one 9 pair on a storm welt - while the 9.5 feels a little longer, the width and instep fit is nearly the same between these two pairs, which is unexpected.

Anyone else notice anything like this before? Is this real? Or is it more likely a coincidence and just pair-to-pair variation?
I don't have any storm welt Carmina's, but I have 2 pairs of oxfords. Both the same size, both on the inca last, and both made with Vegano leather. The only difference is one has a JR leather sole, and the other has a Tomir sole. The Tomir sole pair is definitely looser. DSO much so that I added an insole to them, and now both pairs fir more or less the same.

Maybe, they just have some inconsistency with the lasts (like Vass), or maybe there is some kind of a difference between the sole and the fit?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I don't have any storm welt Carmina's, but I have 2 pairs of oxfords. Both the same size, both on the inca last, and both made with Vegano leather. The only difference is one has a JR leather sole, and the other has a Tomir sole. The Tomir sole pair is definitely looser. DSO much so that I added an insole to them, and now both pairs fir more or less the same.

Maybe, they just have some inconsistency with the lasts (like Vass), or maybe there is some kind of a difference between the sole and the fit?

Interesting, thanks. Anyone else?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks. Anyone else?
Sorry man, for me I’ve only got Llubi lasted boots with storm welts. I can say, the fit is consistent, when comparing these two storm welted boots. ??‍♂️

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have several Detroit, Oscar, and Forest storm and non storm there is no perceivable difference in fit.

Perhaps if they are pairs made in the past year with the issues we have seen posted it is more likely differences in the way they are lasted at the factory. I would assume different workers pull the leathers at different tensions resulting in slightly different fit.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Differential pricing between U.K. and the rest of Europe is a shame, but it’s the cost of doing business with the UK now. Trickers have raised their prices as well to deal with the bureaucratic bullshit of doing business from/to the U.K. But at least we’ve got our sovereignty eh? ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads