• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience w/ the fully braided loafers? Considering a pair that's on sale at Brogue Shop right now.

ErPupone4

Reaction score
Received today and beat expectations. Still waiting for the Armagnac cordovan version.

Black museum
Wow, that looks almost purple in the sunlight. Very cool boots. I would love to see any additional pictures you have of that leather.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience w/ the fully braided loafers? Considering a pair that's on sale at Brogue Shop right now.
I feel they run a bit large. I have a bunch of Carmina shoes in Simpson last, including multiple loafers, but the braided loafers run a bit large versus 10082 penny loafer, the austerity brogue, captoe balmoral etc.

I don't know what last Brogue Shop's are on, but you might want to be wary if returns would be complex. Simpson fits me very well, so I can deal with the woven size - if Simpson was normally a bit loose on me, I might have had to return the woven loafers.

Maybe it is a half size, but I tend to think more like a quarter size - just enough to notice, and get a bit of heel slippage

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @circumspice. I did the whole size up for Simpson and the width worked but they were too long. My only Carmina are rain and I'm TTS there w a snug and comfy fit. These are Uetam and no returns, so a risk at $300.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @circumspice. I did the whole size up for Simpson and the width worked but they were too long. My only Carmina are rain and I'm TTS there w a snug and comfy fit. These are Uetam and no returns, so a risk at $300.
I have never comes to terms with Uetam - lots of people wear it the same size as Simpson, but I think it is a shorter, rounder last, and a long time ago in HK the Armoury didn't stock it in 10.5, so I have never tried it. Conversely, I don't own Rain, but I swim in Rain in 10. I tried on a 9.5 Rain once in Paris, which seemed doable, but I wasn't actually in the market.

H. E. Pennypacker

Reaction score
For those who wear Viccel socks and are in-between sizes, which size do you go with?
I'm US 9.5 and US 10 dependent on the last, on the website there's US 8.5 - 9.5 & US 10 - 11, so I'm not sure which option to choose.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very handsome pair of shoes. I think the shorter height is interesting. What made you ask for the shorter height boot? My 80450 makeup is 6/3 (holes/hooks). Also, how does it look when you stand upright all laced up? does the leather gape between the 5th and 6th hooks?
Thank you. My preference for shorter height is mainly due to aesthetics. I find the combination of 8 eyelets and height help produce a better balanced design (versus 7 or 9 eyelet boots). My preference is probably influenced by C&J, Alden* and Alfred Sargent, which were my favored makers before I gave Carmina a try.

In the case of this boot, I didn't request shorter height or fewer eyelets. This specific model comes with 8 eyelets and is slightly shorter than the standard jumper boot. I do have a jumper boot from Carmina with 9 eyelets. It's a beautiful boot, but find I rarely use the topmost hook as the shell makes the shaft somewhat inflexible.

*Alden boots have 9 eyelets and are in fact shorter than Carmina's 7 eyelet boots, but I find the design works well due to lower instep and proportionally longer eyelet facings

Rimaarts

Reaction score
Another question... how are carmina shoe trees for rain last? Good fit or same as any generic trees? So far I have found trickers shoe trees to fit best for most of my footwear...

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another question... how are carmina shoe trees for rain last? Good fit or same as any generic trees? So far I have found trickers shoe trees to fit best for most of my footwear...
I’ve found them to be very good for rain. I take the same size in both. Although the spring loaded ones , I’ve found, fit more shoe styles better. The hinged ones seem to only fit my loafers. Not sure why.

pekingman

Reaction score
Got my chukka from the last MTO event on soller last. I wanted a casual chukka so went with all casual choices on sole , welt and eyelets. Pretty happy how they turned out
Very nice overall effect! Is that the 905 5-eyelet model? Lovely suede color as well - was that something offered as a special request (I can't see anything close in the MTO tool).

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice overall effect! Is that the 905 5-eyelet model? Lovely suede color as well - was that something offered as a special request (I can't see anything close in the MTO tool).
Could be loden. Loden can be mega deceiving based on lighting conditions.

Subidoc

Reaction score
Thank you. My preference for shorter height is mainly due to aesthetics. I find the combination of 8 eyelets and height help produce a better balanced design (versus 7 or 9 eyelet boots). My preference is probably influenced by C&J, Alden* and Alfred Sargent, which were my favored makers before I gave Carmina a try.

In the case of this boot, I didn't request shorter height or fewer eyelets. This specific model comes with 8 eyelets and is slightly shorter than the standard jumper boot. I do have a jumper boot from Carmina with 9 eyelets. It's a beautiful boot, but find I rarely use the topmost hook as the shell makes the shaft somewhat inflexible.

*Alden boots have 9 eyelets and are in fact shorter than Carmina's 7 eyelet boots, but I find the design works well due to lower instep and proportionally longer eyelet facings
Interesting. I haven't worn the lower height, so have nothing to compare to - Just the taller jumper height boot. Yes, going up and down stairs makes me more aware of the boot's presence. Do you feel the difference there? I was thinking of getting a chukka, but haven;t yet found the answer to this...

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who wear Viccel socks and are in-between sizes, which size do you go with?
I'm US 9.5 and US 10 dependent on the last, on the website there's US 8.5 - 9.5 & US 10 - 11, so I'm not sure which option to choose.
I just looked up my order for you. I am a US 10 and ordered US 8,5-9.5 EU 42-43,5 UK 8-9. Now that I have them, I can assure you that I would not have wanted a larger size. YMMV.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.