• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

ErPupone4

Reaction score
Yeah, I really did not want to purchase any more shoes this year. But, this leather is just amazing. I have the C&J Radnor, which utilizes the leather. When l got the Radnor back in 2017, I knew if it was ever available on any other boot, I’d be in. Because of the material it was just something I couldn’t pass on.
@stephenaf2003 Have you encountered any issues with the dryness/tearing that Carmina mentioned earlier? They said initially it should not be a problem, but how have your's held up? Also, what type of leather care regimen have you used?

Mothetgoo

Reaction score
Does anyone have perspective (or better yet, photos) of how natural shell and saddle shell patina differently? I have a pair of saddle boots, and I am wondering how different they look from natural shell after some time.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Carmina - you mentioned that you had already placed a shell cordovan order with Horween for 2020. Was that shell only, or all leathers? If all leathers, did you order any Dublin leather?

phichi1106

Reaction score
So I placed my order at the NYC store in September for a custom belt and loafer. They had put the shoe order into the system October due to a promotion to waive the MTO fee. I received the shoes the end of December.

However, the belt order went in the system in September. As of today, I still have not received it and there is no confirmation from the factory. I asked the store in December, called the store again end of January, and now called mid-February. I find it to be absurd that it’s over 6 months for a custom order which they stated would take less than 60 days

I need this belt for my wedding in 29 days. Who should I reach out to for a clear answer? The shoes were subpar to what GG usually provides me so this will be the last time I order from them

Mallaig

Reaction score
Sara, you all are worth the wait.

....as for the query regarding green shell; I love my Carmina green shell brogue boots. Also, had I not indulged in an obscene amount of shoes the last 18 months, (and trust me it was truly obscene), I would have already ordered the boots we talked about in the hand painted green. This hand painted green boot is now placed in the special place I reserve what are for me personally, truly heart stopping boots. It’s on my list of must haves!
Hand painted green you say ? How do I find out more. I'm already thinking about buying something in that green shell.

Proleet

Reaction score
So I placed my order at the NYC store in September for a custom belt and loafer. They had put the shoe order into the system October due to a promotion to waive the MTO fee. I received the shoes the end of December.

However, the belt order went in the system in September. As of today, I still have not received it and there is no confirmation from the factory. I asked the store in December, called the store again end of January, and now called mid-February. I find it to be absurd that it’s over 6 months for a custom order which they stated would take less than 60 days

I need this belt for my wedding in 29 days. Who should I reach out to for a clear answer? The shoes were subpar to what GG usually provides me so this will be the last time I order from them
Obviously not great regarding the belt but...are you comparing the shoes to $1500 G&G shoes here?

jischwar

Reaction score

I think the turnaround for a custom pair of shoes was pretty quick and you are comparing apples to oranges with G&G and Carmina

georgeka

Reaction score

Probably better to contact the factory directly.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@stephenaf2003 Have you encountered any issues with the dryness/tearing that Carmina mentioned earlier? They said initially it should not be a problem, but how have your's held up? Also, what type of leather care regimen have you used?
I believe with the tearing, Carmina was referring to the difficulties they were experiencing during the lasting process. The leather is stretched quite a bit during some of the lasting steps, and this letter from what I understand, runs into some of the same issues as shell.

You shouldn’t experience any issues with tearing of the leather as you wear the shoes. This leather is quite durable, and my care regimen has been to use Bick4 conditioner. I suppose if I wanted to use color, I would use the Saphir Tobacco as Kirby suggested. But, I’ve not followed any of his other methods in caring for my Radnor’s. With that said, his method does not seem unreasonable to me.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.